Game Thread: Butler at Penn State (11/14)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by PSUButlerFan, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,037
    Defense will be materially better when Thomas returns, too. Should be better with Ali also.

And even without them, yes, they held a good offense to less than 1 point per possession on the road.

No concerns about the defense.

2. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,334
    My only concern with the defense was that they sometimes overhelped. But I think that is more attributable to Penn. St.'s excellent shooting and floor spacing. This aspect should improve with time.

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  3. DawgDude

DawgDude Active Member

Money:
    $342
    I thought Penn States offensive sets were outstanding as was their rotations. Ours were not at their level. On defense it appeared we weren’t communicating on switches and picks as well as we should. In the end I became a fan of how Penn State plays.

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,662
    Agree, they did an exceptional job of finding the open guy on the perimeter. Don't know how much of that was us or them, but they can definitely shoot from deep.

5. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $20,443
    So… what did I miss?!

znelson15 and 2xDawg like this.
  6. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,217
    Down 6 with :17 to go Chuck drives for a missed layup instead of finding Simas who had connected on the previous possession. I’d rather see him chuck a 3 at that point.

7. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,217
    Lots of Brad Stevens fingerprints on that team obviously. Very pesky physical perimeter defense and that OOB play to the corner 3 is straight out of Brad’s playbook.

8. Ster8462

Ster8462 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $840
    Don’t forget Micah Shresberry (sorry on spelling) also saw Hunter in practice for 2 years and probably knew all of Hunters’ weaknesses and likely called Painter before the matchup to confirm.

Would’ve loved hiring Shrews when we hired LaVall but still would’ve needed to pony up some money for Big East Asst Coaches.

9. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,502
    To make matters worse, we were only down 4 when he did that. It could have been a two point game. I also agree that, on that play, he could have dribble into an in rhythm 3 vs what he did. The other (2) 3 point attempts, before that play, reminded me of last year. With that said, he had a nice number of assists tonight!

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

BUcheer likes this.
  10. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $20,443
    Ok just went and read the Penn State message board game thread. After reading both on each site, you’d think both teams were losing big :).

Here’s what I learned:

1. Jalen Pickett's triple-double is Penn State's first since Calvin Booth had 19 points, 10 rebounds & 10 blocks against Dayton in the NIT on March 16, 1998.

2. They hate “white-haired ref” too. It’s time the NCAA does something about him. Of course they won’t.

3. PSU Fans are very very impressed by Manny Bates.

4. The general consensus is that Butler played even with PSU but just had an awful shooting night. This quote sums it up: “That was a shooting debacle by Butler and if I were a fan of that team I would have been disgusted losing that game. Our rotation on perimeter D was nothing remarkable at all.”