Game Thread: Butler @ Oklahoma (12/7)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Dec 5, 2021.

1. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,707
    Butler could take the court at 445 and start playing and Oklahoma could join at 7, and Oklahoma would likely still win.

ButlerNut and znelson15 like this.
  2. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,150
    Very important game tomorrow night. This team needs to show itself that it can beat a fairly decent team and start to build a little confidence and belief.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,300
    It’s the curse of working at a brewery, beer everywhere always :)

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerNut and DawgsMD like this.
  4. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,405
    Butler vs. Oklahoma Betting Pick
    Oklahoma is coming off of a 74-67 victory over Florida, thanks to 16 forced turnovers and holding the Gators to 4-for-24 from 3-point territory. The Sooners will implement a similar game plan against Butler, which shoots 51% of its field goal attempts from behind the arc.

Butler has turned the ball over on 25.4% of its possessions this season, which is a recipe for disaster. The program is still dealing with a lingering injury to Bryce Nze, who is doubtful for this matchup.

Groves will be able to spread the floor for Oklahoma and force Golden to guard the perimeter, which will open up driving lanes.

Oklahoma is hitting 61% of its two-point attempts this season, which is second best in the nation. Butler has struggled at defending such shot attempts, ranking 235th at defending shots inside the arc.

Oklahoma should go wire-to-wire in this matchup, as it will have the clear edge at home.

Pick: Oklahoma -10.5

ButlerNut likes this.
  5. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,405
  6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,116
    Rejoice in it. It's the holiday season and you're surrounded by beer, good beer at that.

ButlerNut, ButlerProf and znelson15 like this.
  7. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,351
    Betting aside, this is a succinct and accurate assessment. OU isn't a national title contender, but they're real good at the things Butler is real bad at figuring out. Also road games are yikes and have been for a while.

8. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,311
    First half spread btw is +5.5 seems like free money on the road with our turnover problems. 125.5 seems pretty good as well, and even if you stay moneyline -550 for free money or put it with a nice parlay

ButlerNut and willisbrown like this.
  9. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $644
    [​IMG]

ButlerNut and cornette33 like this.
  10. Michdog

Michdog Active Member

Money:
    $308
    Just curious....... When was the last time (what year) was the consensus of this board that keeping a loss under 20 points would be considered a minor victory? Seriously, it's been a long time since expectations have been this low. Even when Butler was not nearly as athletic as the opposing team, there was always a thought that the Dawgs could grit one out.

ButlerNut and estar20dawg like this.
  11. estar20dawg

Money:
    $7,311
    If you want a consensus on this board let's just say the Purdue game by more than 20

ButlerNut likes this.
  12. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,116
    Man if the line is that low that means Santa has come early.

As far as expectations/feelings of a team being this low, maybe the second half of big east play Miller's year? That's all I can think of. Even in 03-04 and 04-05 when we were pretty bad...still were playing the Horizon so games weren't just expected beatdowns. We've never (since I went to school) been this bad with this type of schedule. So this may be the lowest expectations I can remember.

ButlerNut, ButlerProf and cornette33 like this.
  13. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,150
    I'm acutely aware of how bad things have been, and I will certainly complain about things from time to time, but I'm not sure what the value is in continuously ridiculing, by far, my favorite team. I will say I have not enjoyed any of what I have seen this year from the scrimmage forward. I do still hope this team and players can find a way to be successful.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,341
    How is this line dropping? Is there something I don’t know? I might put a paycheck on Oklahoma.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerNut likes this.
  15. estar20dawg

Money:
    $7,311
    The safest bet in the world has to be OU by 5.5 in the first half. I mean right? you should be able to clean up on that line alone

ButlerNut and Danville Bulldog like this.
  16. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,513
    People rely on collegiate athletes way too much sometimes. I wouldn't have ever bet on what I was likely to do as a college kid.

ButlerNut likes this.
  17. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,284
    It’s absolutely preposterous (still nice tho) that we can have played 6 dI teams, 4 DII teams, have two thirty point wins, and a point differential of only 69 points.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

ButlerNut likes this.
  18. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,116
    No Tater Tot tonight even though he's been practicing in full. This weekend may be an easier play to roll him out slowly. Obviously no Nze or Hodges too.

ButlerNut, ButlerProf and cornette33 like this.
  19. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,417
    I’ve got a leg on both sides of the issue

#1) the season isn’t over by any means, as Lukas has pointed out we have no bad losses. But we don’t have any good wins either. If we get out **** together soon, we could ride the BE to a bubble record. I think most of us genuinely want that, which can in turn draw transfers and recruits.

#2) Our roster has 7 seniors and we have played the worst basketball I can ever remember seeing— not to mention the lack of improvement. Our last 2 games were DII and our first 3 games were against teams ranked #349, #340, #242– also E Illinois is #347 on kenpom. So the fact that our only wins (and not always easy) came from opponents with an average rank of #320 while getting EMBARRASSED by the teams in the top 25 even with all our experience goes to show what predicament we are truly in. We’ve seen this team be coached for 5 years now and I just don’t think the confidence is there that our future is very bright. Butler Basketball has been hard to watch for several years and was only redeemed by ridiculously talented play from Martin, Baldwin, and McD (remember hero ball?). I don’t WANT to keep watching if this is our future. There seems to be no accountability and it needs to start with the coaches. If we have to “suck for luck” in order to turn this around, then so be it.

Tldr: I hope we play better and LJ has a “waterboy” type epiphany and we make it to the tourney— still possible— which can boost our transfers and recruiting (sort of). However if we continue to suck, I hope we really really suck and that he’s gone after this year to get BC to start a new page. Because god knows next year it will be even worse if we don’t attract any stud transfers. I can’t keep watching this mediocrity— I just get too angry at how far we have fallen from good, fundamental, and tough play.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

20. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    Hodges and Tate not until January. Nze maybe not until February. Season is over unless they can find a miracle in the BE tourney.

Two years ago when the Dawgs were 15-1 they broke even the remainder of the year then lost two alpha dogs to graduation in Baldwin and McDermott. The team today is essentially the same team as two years ago without those two and without Nze and Tucker. Baldwin and McDermott have been replaced with a combination of Bolden, Harris , Simas and Taylor. The other two returning players AT and Golden aren’t any better than they were 2 or 3 years ago. We do have Groce who hasn’t made much of a difference and an injured Hodges. So two years ago the starting line up was Baldwin, AT, Golden, McDermott and Nze. This year it’s Taylor, AT, Harris, Golden and either Bolden or Groce. That is not a BE caliber team. That’s a mid major team. Maybe had Cole, Johnson and Battle had stayed and Nze and Hodges had not been hurt things would have been far different. With a healthy roster a fifth or sixth place finish was reasonable to expect but we aren’t going to be healthy until well into January the earliest. This season is over unless Hodges , Nze , Groce and Bolden can will this team in the tournament. AT, Golden, Taylor, Harris and Simas aren’t going to do it.