Game Thread: Butler @ Oklahoma (12/7)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Dec 5, 2021.

1. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,472
    Wonder when the last time Butler won a true road game as a double digit underdog?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

ButlerNut likes this.
  2. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,548
    Watched the game this morning. Team still has a long ways to go to be good, but happy for them. I've been down on them this year as much as anyone. Offensively, it's either Thompson creating or give it to Harris and pray, which is scary for Butler fans. Last night it worked, but that's not a strategy that's going to work most nights.

Taylor had a bad game, happens, and Bolden was just missing shots, which can also happen. DJ Hughes was shockingly effective in his role, but part of the problem for the coaches is they have no clue who is going to play well or badly from game to game.

Having said that, the coaches recruited this team, so it's on them to figure out the rotations both before and after these guys come back.

ButlerNut, 2xDawg and Woof like this.
  3. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,548
    The thing I loved the most was Simas stepping to the line in the 2nd half and OT with the game on the line. Was practically dancing at the foul line. Love the confidence.

ButlerNut, Shimmy, bwesson15 and 13 others like this.
  4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,868
    I've only watched the games vs the real teams and he seems to have mostly disappeared in them and hasn't shot well that I can remember. If he racked up points against DII schools and a coupe 300+ schools, great. He was hardly a factor last night though and from what I was told on the ground there we should expect some pretty big things early on from him. I suppose those upped my expectations that he'd be ready to roll even against a tough schedule.

I usually watch every game but life has changed and I have big time scheduling conflicts this year. I've only watched 4 games and in those 4 I haven't been impressed other than a couple rebounds here and there.

ButlerNut and dawgs2014 like this.
  5. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,848
    I really hope we can figure out a way to stop the first half bleeding.

For those wondering, we are now 0-7 ATS in the first half this season (D1 opponents). It's been easy money, but as a Butler fan it makes my eyes bleed.

ButlerNut likes this.
  6. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,095
    Wondering the same thing about Wilmoth. He was playing well and the last 2 games he played a total of 4 minutes.

ButlerNut and cornette33 like this.
  7. Woof

Woof Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,258
    Something I've thought a lot about since last night is how a massive amount of self-confidence and instinctual decision-making is required to excel, or at least survive, in whatever semblance of a system LaVall and co. have. Less thinking, more attacking. Guys like Baldwin, McDermott, Kelan, Rosie all thrived because they knew they could score under whatever circumstances. And if they missed or made a mistake, oh well! They kept shooting.

When Harris struggles, you can tell he's in his own head, letting missed shots or mistakes get to him. When he excels, he's attacking, constantly moving, not thinking about where to go, but just playing. Hughes and Simas were in that mode as well. It's also why I'm bullish on Taylor regardless of his struggles last night.

Conversely, it's concerning to see our upperclassmen with such a lack of confidence. IMO, that's where Golden's struggles lay. He's always three steps behind the game because he's trying not to make mistakes instead of just playing instinctually. I see the same with Thompson. His lack of shooting confidence, whether it's from deep or at the line, seems to always be present in his mind, which affects his understanding of situations (e.g. dribble all the way under the basket, jump out of bounds while attempting an incredibly difficult wrap around pass instead of keeping it simple).

Of course, confidence without strategy only gets you so far. It's the coach's job to instill confidence in their players by putting them in positions to succeed and build that confidence. LaVall's approach is less confidence by x's and o's, more confidence by just telling them to be confident. Words are great, actions are better. Also doesn't help when some players appear to have short leashes (see: Wilmoth) which can cause players to implode mentally.

8. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,542
    Isn't this true for all sports programs (not just LJ's system) and life in general? If you stepped in to the batter's box in little league thinking you are going to fail, odds are you failed. If you walk in to a sales pitch thinking there is no way the customer is going to buy what you are selling, they likely won't.

9. Baseline

Baseline Well-Known Member

Money:
    $845
    Answer to "semi serious" question is NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH.

ButlerNut likes this.
  10. Woof

Woof Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,258
    My point is outlined more in the final part of my post. Some individuals can walk into a situation with a combination of talent and unlimited self-assurance and crush it regardless of the circumstances. That's great, and sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn't, and it shouldn't be relied upon to work.

Telling your best individual contributor, "Hey, go [win the game/make the sale/insert success here], you'll figure it out! I'll be over here clapping for you!" while hoping for the best no matter the situation is not good coaching/managing/supervising. You're relying on your best player to succeed for you, or even in spite of you, instead of putting them in positions to succeed.

ButlerNut and 2xDawg like this.
  11. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,802
    No. But you can solve it another way - get some incredibly-talented assistants who are X’s and O’s Pros who know how to run a legit offense. Right now Butler doesn’t have that person that can make up for LaVall’s shortcomings. A couple staff changes could get that done.

You see tons of examples of this in football. Watch Clemson take a step back now that they lose Venebles.

12. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,419
    I like that everyone is advocating DJ get more minutes. His energy is infectious (in a good way). Please remember he comes with baggage at the free throw line. That is the biggest flaw in his game and if the coaching staff doesn't help him, he will be a huge liability at the line in close games.

ButlerNut and 2xDawg like this.
  13. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,020
    Yeah, on that first trip, he was actually smiling, walking up to the line. He wanted those free throws.

14. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,716
    Jumped to 78 in Kenpom

That is a great jump.

The underclassmen carried us last night and I want more of that and even more of that when Tate gets back.

It will have its up and downs but I truly think it’s our best foot moving forward

Great game last night

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,399
    What were we in kenpom before last night, I know NET we were 197

ButlerNut likes this.
  16. WDLTH

WDLTH Member VIP Member

Money:
    $131

ButlerNut likes this.
  17. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,020
    Around 90th, I think. Butler's NET jumped to #121 after last night.

ButlerNut and znelson15 like this.
  18. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,399
    Well thank god if you were an OU fan, you got to be rooting for us cause that was looking like a Quad 4 loss for them last night

ButlerNut and znelson15 like this.
  19. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,639
    Smiling and nodding his head, as in, yes, I’ve got this.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

ButlerNut, DawgPoundMac and troggy like this.
  20. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,579
    good points. I'm concerned it'll all go the same way it went when Baldwin was here: the program and coaching staff's overall poor direction and strategy (also tactics) papered over by some occasional individual heroics and wins prompting fans to forget the huge mess that is BU hoops. if this team somehow finishes above .500 in the Big East and wins a game or two in the B.E. tournament then most will think all is well.

It's not. Butler could win 80% of the rest of this season's games, go to the NCAA, and make the sweet 16 and the program would still be broken, IMO. I'd love to see that though-- it'd be good for the players and fun to watch. But I will keep my reality-tinted glasses on no matter what goes down.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021