Game Thread: Butler @ Oklahoma (12/7)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Dec 5, 2021.

1. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,682
    Just looked at Kenpom and E. Illinois is the 349th best team in Division 1, one rank below IUPUI. We go from there to Purdue at #1 - Team Rankings gives us a 5.4% chance of beating Purdue -- so, there is a chance ...

ButlerNut and znelson15 like this.
  2. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,560
    Exactly.

A lot of questions on why this guy and that guy did not play more. I know I am not the coaching genius that everyone else on this board is, but the lineup of AT, Hughes, Harris, David & Simas was working. Sure they could have had more rebounds and fewer turnovers and closed out faster, but we were chopping away at the double digit lead. It was working. It was working when the lineups from the 1st half and the last few games hadn't been working. Why would you change what is working? I am confident that if LJ would have pulled David for Wilmoth or Groce and then we lose momentum, this board would have exploded about that.

ButlerNut, WDLTH, jarik and 5 others like this.
  3. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,638
    We can all agree that there are major flaws to Butler’s approach to offense, it’s hard to imagine how they can take this kind of style up against great teams and succeed. But I would say this though - If LaVall somehow got this team not just to the tournament, but to the Sweet Sixteen as well, I would argue that’s the best this team could’ve done anyway. What I’m saying is that I don’t necessarily think a better coach would’ve squeezed out a better result than that; plus if he did manage to do that, I think it would show that what he did in 2020, before COVID hit, was not just a flash in the pan moment. For all we know, that team could’ve been a Sweet Sixteen team as well, and I don’t think we would be knocking him as much if that were the case.

ButlerNut likes this.
  4. TexanDawg

TexanDawg Member

Money:
    $92
    Living in TX I don't often get a chance to see the team in person so I was thrilled to be in Norman last night as well as in Waco in December 2019...two great games. A couple of observations:

* I actually loved what David brought to the team while he was on the floor. He plays with energy and fight (excepting that one loose ball rebound he gave up on in the corner...but I think he thought his teammate in the same area was going to grab it) that others (Groce) don't display. Stats weren't great, obviously, but he was one of the reasons we outrebounded them so decisively...lots of taps and tips that kept the ball alive for Golden, Simas, and DJ.
    * Speaking of energy, this team is just different when Simas and DJ (along with David) are on the court. More player movement, quicker ball rotations, more joy, and more attitude. That primal scream DJ gave their bearded big guy should have drawn a T, but it was nice to see the fire!
    * Most of the time, AT looks like a typical Subway employee...his countenance and body language just say he'd rather be anywhere else in the world.
    * I can't wait to see Tate back on the floor. Watching him during timeouts, that kid is a leader who sets a tone, even in street clothes. A lineup of Tate, Harris, Simas, Nze, and DJ has serious havoc-wreaking potential.
    * Nze and Tate were with the team, but I didn't see Hodges or Thomas. Anything to that?

5. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,560

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerNut, ChiDawg3 and iluvsnow like this.
  6. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,344
    Here is what I think the you g guys have room to improve and still have hopes of playing professionally somewhere, hence they are ready to get after it at all costs.

The upperclassmen are what they are and have brite futures in many things beyon basketball this year, which I love and is what we want

The young guys still have that oh we can do this fire and I believe and those are the players I want right now.

Just a thought, and opinion, and what I hundred percent

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerNut and iluvsnow like this.
  7. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,774
    Sorry znelson - typically love your posts, but you need to hold off on posting after spending the entire night at the brewery. I think I need a translator.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

8. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,316
    If this team makes the sweet 16 it is either a massive fluke or one of the best coaching jobs butler has ever seen.

We have two guys who are maybe good enough to be big east second team or honorable mention along with a really good point guard and a bunch of role players.

When the season started I saw a team that I thought was likely going to play like a tourney team by the end of the year, but struggle at the start due to lack of top end talent and growing pains. I just don’t see second weekend talent here.

ButlerNut likes this.
  9. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,148
    You might just be exaggerating to get a point across which is fine, but if THIS team somehow went to the Sweet 16, every team in the Big Ten would be trying to hire LJ as their next coach lol.

ButlerNut likes this.
  10. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,367
    Now THAT would be some 4D chess.

ButlerNut likes this.
  11. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,319
    You don't have to wait for next season to see them without Venebles. Look at their offense once Jeff Scott left for SFU before Lawrence's senior season...

ButlerNut likes this.
  12. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,319
    He absolutely out-coached Moser. The problem is this isn't the 1900's and now the zone defense is on film. So no other teams won't be surprised and prepared as poorly as Oklahoma was for it...

ButlerNut, dawgs2014 and Insane Dawg like this.
  13. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,638

Yep, I agree for the most part. But it’s hard to imagine we would be the first team in Oklahoma’s 8 games to throw a zone at them. Surely Moser would’ve at least toyed with the idea, right?

ButlerNut, jarik and Insane Dawg like this.
  14. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,627
    It also worked because Oklahoma doesn't have a lot of shooters. And the one shooter they do have went 2-11 from 3.

15. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,522
    That's the whole point. A bad coaching decision would have stuck with man.

16. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    I thought the announcers said Moser had prepared his team for the zone. Butler actually did some three quarter trapping then fell back into a zone, Jordan using a zone with Lukosius at the top then alternating with man-to- man worked. Oklahoma did not adjust well. Butler’s coaching staff out performed Oklahoma’s in this one.

17. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,215
    lol. The zone defense is on film? The zone defense has been on film since film was invented. It was nothing spectacular, but it worked Tuesday in Norman.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerNut and WestLoopDog like this.
  18. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,198
    I liked the variations we ran in our offense this game. It made it much more difficult for them to double us because we didn't just trudge Golden up into a ball screen time after time after time. Heck, on the first play of the second half Golden started trudging up like he was going to set one and then just dove to the basket and got a layup because they were getting ready to blitz the guard. It didn't result in a lot of points (still only 21 at half and 54 in regulation) but if they can keep working on those counters and variations, I think they have a chance for an offense that we aren't putting in quotations all the time.

I did not like when we went to Chuck ISO in the clutch, though.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerNut, jarik and dawgs2014 like this.
  19. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,316
    I’ll look this up but their zone offense was just abysmal

ButlerNut likes this.
  20. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,217
    I really don't know how it all came together for us to defeat them, but it is there and in these guys to do that..... That's enough for me to keep watching and hope for them to do this and better as it spreads to a few who weren't giving this effort... Hope is slightly restored. ;)