Game Thread: Butler vs #15 Houston (11/22) - Maui Invitational

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,969
    Is it too late to redshirt him?

2. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $954
    Golden’s stats this season:

IUPUI: 24 min, 3 points, 1/2 FG, 6 Reb, 2 TOs, 3 FL
    CARK: 21 min, 12 points, 5/6 FG, 2 Reb, 0 TOs, 1 FL
    Troy: 15 min, 0 points, 0/2 FG, 1 Reb, 0 TOs, 1 FL
    MSU: 24 min, 0 points, 0/2 FG, 2 Reb, 1 TO, 4 FL
    HOU: 20 min, 1 point, 0/3 FG, 1 Reb, 4 TOs, 4 FL

Average: 21 min, 3.2 points, 40% FG, 28% 3FG, 2.3Reb, 1.4 TOs, 2.6 FL

By the way did you know that of Golden’s 14 FGA, 7 of them have been 3PA? That’s 50% of his shot volume… from a guy who only made 20% there last year!!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,428
    I think AT playing takes away from his game and being a playmaker

We saw This some last year also

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

IndyDawgs likes this.
  4. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,296
    Not sure how they are this year but didn’t Abilene Christian beat Texas in the 1st rd of the NCAA tournament last March? I do know Texas A&M was picked dead last in the SEC.

5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,100
    Thankfully yes.

6. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Active Member

Money:
    $348
    Serious question here- Is there any reason to believe that LaVall knows how to run something other than the pick and roll? I’m not trying to bash him here, but I just can’t understand why this is the only thing that he’s picked up from his years at Michigan. All that ball movement and moving/cutting without the ball under Belien, and yet LaVall runs the offense like someone who’s playing NBA2K.

7. Woof

Woof Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,214
    No. We’ve seen the same offense since he started. The only reason it “worked” previously was because guys like Kelan, Kamar, and McDermott were so good. They could succeed despite the lack of any sets.

A lot of people chided Kelan, Kamar, Rosie, etc because of “hero ball,” but I think it was either A) Lavall’s offense was to give it to them and hope for the best, or B) Lavall’s sets were so bad they had to carry the burden themselves. Perhaps a little of both.

Tentozen and bubby like this.
  8. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $954
    Is there anywhere to hear postgame comments from LJ? I would like to hear what he said last week and some tough questions from the press considering all the work they put in this off season

9. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $727

Probably won't be anything too juicy, I'm guessing our "press" is too scared to ask tough questions that will even further limit the scarce access they are given.

UDDawg, bmradio99 and znelson15 like this.
  10. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,425
    Lol, right. What press?

znelson15 likes this.
  11. Shane Davis

Money:
    $348

I’m pretty sure he’s also ran it through Thompson off and on, and sometimes it has worked for him as well, but this all kinda feels like forcing a square peg into round hole. I’ll give Thompson all the credit in the world for doing the things that help win games, I know how valuable he is……But I’m gonna be frank, I’m kinda over this having a starting guard that can’t shoot. It’s not his fault that he has to penetrate offenses single-handedly to make the offense go, but it’s SO FRUSTRATING watching everyone sag off of him and he can’t make people pay for doing it. It makes me wonder how Holtmann would’ve utilized him in his Junior/Senior year?

willisbrown and znelson15 like this.
  12. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,805
    I was happy he took and made that three point shot today though.

Overall, they just keep coming out and getting their ass handed to them in the beginning of games. For those following, that's now 0-5 ATS in the first half. The only thing that I can explain the slow starts on is coaching. This team wasn't going to win the game even if they didn't give them a 17 point head start, but holy **** come on. I'm guessing AT gave them all a pep talk at half and that's why they came out assertive and playing defense (Houston had probably gotten a little relaxed too).

13. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Well-Known Member

Money:
    $757
    Turned the game on just after half with an excitement that I was about to see a good game. I saw the score, saw Bolden’s air ball 3 and turned it off.
    Been a fan since 1999 and this is honestly the first time I have been embarrassed to be a fan. I know I am overreacting but I am truly embarrassed that this is the team that Lavall has built and is proud to put on the floor. I don’t blame the players either, this is 100% coaching and mentoring.
    Something is broken with the staff. I have held back thinking transfers and behavior issues are anything more than the kids wanting something different things or individual issues. Watching this team and adding those off the court issues you can’t help but think this staff is just not up to the challenge of putting a team of men together.

14. Shane Davis

Money:
    $348
    David Woods came out with his initial article and pretty much hit it on the head - Over the past two seasons, Butler has trailed by 10 or more points in 23 of 30 games, winning six of them. I can still remember the first highlight of LaVall’s coaching career at Butler when they beat Ohio State in the Hall of Game Classic, they got off to a bad start and trailed by 20 points in that game. I never imagined that was gonna be a taste of things to come.

SnoopDawg, ButlerProf and znelson15 like this.
  15. BU4lyfe

BU4lyfe Member

Money:
    $65
    I was at the game. Barry Collier played on his phone for half of it. Completely uninterested. Brad at the game too- whenever he shows up, we suck. I saw him and knew it would be bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen and cornette33 like this.
  16. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $727
    He’s probably just busy running our god awful social media accounts to help us cut another corner and save a buck

17. BUBBALUM

BUBBALUM Active Member

Money:
    $384
    Saw Nze on my way to dinner.

18. BU4lyfe

BU4lyfe Member

Money:
    $65
  19. BUBBALUM

BUBBALUM Active Member

Money:
    $384
    Apparently, unless he lied, Nze is just planning on rehab (no surgery).

20. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,557
    I always tried to put the blame where it was due (the coaching staff). While others here wildly celebrated the latest impossible 3-pointer by Kamar I was not impressed with what those shots meant for the team as a whole (double-plus un-goodness).

A game of HORSE? Sure. A game of NCAA Div 1 basketball? Nope.