Game Thread: Butler vs #15 Houston (11/22) - Maui Invitational

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Nov 20, 2021.

1. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,558
    Yes. I for one would like to be assured that he's not planning to hurt himself or others. I am pretty done with him as Butler coach but I don't want anything to happen to him personally. May Jesus, or whoever his little imaginary friends are, give him some comfort.

2. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,216
    The super seniors seem checked out except maybe Bolden. Reminds me of Wisconsin last year. At some point, they have been at it so long they lose focus it seems. Also, Wisconsin actually had good old players last year. Bad old players like what we have are still bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

IndyDawgs likes this.
  3. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,537
    If that's true how many of our players seem to get suspended/ DNP's. What team are we watching?. Happened way too much

4. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,296
    This. So let’s see, they fell behind Houston 17-0, Michigan St. 22-8, and before that they trailed Troy 17-7. Holy hell, that’s being outscored a combined 56-15 to start the last 3 games. Heck, they even trailed Central Arkansas 13-10 & IUPUI 9-7 at the under 12 TO in the first half. No reason to expect anything different tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,101
  6. BU4lyfe

BU4lyfe Member

Money:
    $65
    His mask was off when he talked to his friends. Otherwise, he kept his mask on the whole game. Most fans had masks off.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  7. dawgs2014

Money:
    $8,101
    I don’t think Thompson or Nze have checked out. David idk because we just can’t tell.

It’s really hard to be competitive and be in this situation. And honestly, when you have a combination of lack of skill overall, horrendous big man play, and a trash offensive scheme-what do you expect from your point guard?

Aaron Thompson is the furthest thing from the problem on this team.

SnoopDawg likes this.
  8. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,428
    Do you not think his inability to shoot as well as how much he dribbles around has effected the offensive flow as well as chuck harris and his play making ability?

I feel like we saw this some last year when he was out. Harris at the one lead to better ball movement and offensive flow

Yes Thompson is a leader and great at defense

9. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,448
    The youtube page has put up all the postgame interviews so far, but all those were from home games. If there is one, it has not been uploaded yet...

https://www.youtube.com/c/ButlerAthletics/featured

10. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,805
    I don't think you can say AT is checked out by any means. People can hate, but I thought he was one of our lone bright spots today. Held Sasser to 9 points. Put up 5 points, 6 assists, 4 boards, and 3 steals with only 2 of our 20 turnovers.

Nze isn't checked out either, he's just hurt. He was standing and engaged the whole game.

11. Baseline

Baseline Well-Known Member

Money:
    $793
    Gotta say I was a little disappointed when I heard he was returning.

IndyDawgs likes this.
  12. Baseline

Baseline Well-Known Member

Money:
    $793
    Oh, but we need to keep the lane open for our "super quick" players to drive and cause the defense to rotate.

13. dawgs2014

Money:
    $8,101
    Did the offense look better when Harris was initiating it this year? I certainly don’t think so. I also don’t think it was better at all without him last year.

There has been stagnation and dribbling that doesn’t get the ball handler anywhere throughout the lavall era. We complained about Kamar doing the same thing when he was the ball dominant guard. I don’t think this is a product of AT as much as there being no where to go with the ball.

I don’t think his inability to shoot has affected the “flow” of the offense much. If I am going to make a criticism of him that affects the flow of the offense it’s that he does a bad job of leading his defender into screens.

TheDawgDub95 likes this.
  14. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Active Member

Money:
    $348
    Make no mistake -This team needs Thompson on the floor to succeed. He does so many things well on the court that warrant the minutes he’s playing, especially defensively. I guess my frustration would be that, when this offense is running stagnant and looking for a spark wherever it can find it, and the ball comes back around to Thompson where he’s left open for a shot, his inability to shoot causes him to have to restart the offense again. It makes it feel like an endless cycle that always ends with someone having to go hero ball to finish the Possession.

bumba and Tentozen like this.
  15. dawgs2014

Money:
    $8,101
    Thompson is most effective receiving the ball at the elbow. If Golden is in the game, however, that option is sort of taken away as he is sort of confined to an around the basket role.

I think if we can work on getting ball back to Thompson around the elbow we can alleviate some these issues.

16. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,805
    I think you can’t put AT on the court at the same time as Golden. I don’t know the plus/minus when Golden is on the floor, but I imagine it’s horrible and part of why we get off to awful starts. The problem is that Nze is hurt. I’d rather see us go small with AT, CH, JT, Groce, and Wilmoth. When Nze is back then sub out Wilmoth. If AT needs a rest then put Golden in and shift everyone down.

Ultimately, I think our best offensive lineup would be Chuck, Bolden, Hodges, Groce, Nze. If the other team has a high volume scorer like Sasser then you need AT out there though.

All in all, this year Golden has been a liability on both sides of the floor.

17. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,331
    Just wait, with the discipline (lack there of) and the state of the team, I'm giving even odds someone gets arrested before the season is over.

18. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,349
    LJ: Knock Knock
    Me: Who's there?
    LJ: Butler Basketball
    Me: No you aren't......

19. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,335
  20. ap234

ap234 Active Member

Money:
    $479
    This team is very poorly coached. They play slow. They don’t advance the ball. Everyone catches the ball and holds it for a second or 2 before they dribble, pass or shoot. Almost every possession starts with a high ball screen and the guards don’t attack down hill off of it. Everything is slow and easy to guard. My high school team moves the ball better. It’s so stagnant. Then defense is a problem too but it’s not as bad as the offense even though there are some bad lapses on that end as well. This team is going to have a VERY rough time in the Big East this year.