Game Thread: Butler vs DePaul (12/29)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Baseline

Baseline Well-Known Member

Money:
    $861
    Upsets me to hear this. Those of us at the game had no idea what really happened. If he did that, that was horribly stupid and selfish. Could have lost the game.

2. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,273
    To be fair Golden was getting absolutely mugged for most of the game, think he was just frustrated on the seemingly one way whistle against him

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,283
    100% agree with this. It was certainly a consequence of frustration and not malice. I still think it was a dirty play. It exposed the DePaul player to injury and that’s not okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2xDawg likes this.
  4. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,119
    Just got home from the game and haven't read the thread but two thoughts before I do: Nice to get a win and the ref with the shaved head was either out of his mind or out to get us...

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,809
    The refs were to blame for this entire fiasco. They lost control early in the first half. Welcome back to BE officiating! Still nice to win the BE opener.

BNiche likes this.
  6. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,486
    Great to see the team come out and play from tip. Games like this encourage me as the season goes, and for the future. DePaul is better than they’ve ever been since we joined. A Big East win is not easy any time.

Hall just lost to Providence. Next up on Tuesday. Hopefully Hodges can play.

BTW - was Tate a DNP-Coaches Decision? I liked the substitution cadence in this game, you can clearly see who has earned time in practice and games (David, Hughes, Groce over Wilmoth; Luko over Tate).

Not sure if anyone has pointed this out before, but I’m pretty sure AT and Coach Jordan have hand signals that may just be between them. I caught it once during a stoppage, then kept watching for it. One in particular, AT wipes his head then points down; coach gestures back, AT noddded.

Insane Dawg and KCbufan21 like this.
  7. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,283
    Guessing those are play calls.

8. BNiche

BNiche Active Member

Money:
    $353

Only 8 for Seton Hall on Tuesday as of now. Rough.

9. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,486
    I think it was a bit more than that; I’d guess LJ trusts AT to tell him what he’s seeing.

10. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,739
    No issues with the intensity and execution our guys played with save the last 6 minutes and some missed layups throughout. Good win

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

#60 and Insane Dawg like this.
  11. BNiche

BNiche Active Member

Money:
    $353
    For anyone who cares, I spent some time recording the last 4.3 seconds of the game. With pauses and cuts, the video was still almost 2 minutes long. Apologies for my voice in it, haha.

First time sitting in the 100s at Hinkle - wife did an amazing job getting the seats for her brother's Christmas gift.

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  12. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,587
    I was just looking at Hall's roster. One of the eight playing is Bryce Aiken, now in his sixth season (4 at Harvard; 2 at Hall). He turned 25 two weeks ago.

13. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,232
    Overall so happy with tonight’s game.

Did it got to close for comfort at the end, yes but that has been going on for years with butler o feel.

Nze back was awesome and it made Thompson better

Thompson was spot on tonight and as quick and on it as I have her seen

Taylor and Luko won the game for us and I hope the build confidence from it, we need them both

Sad again about groce but he seem to be a real player and is stoked to be on the big east

The only negative for me was in the second half we stalled a lot on offense and didn’t run the same plays or be as aggressive as the first half. Yes we missed shots but we let the shot clock run down low to many times

Overall so happy we won and I was actually jacked this game watching and feeling good vibes a bit

Cheers dawg fans

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,587
    It was good to see Nze playing again, but I was concerned when they didn't bring him back in after he went out with about 5 minutes to play after taking a charge. Is there any word on whether he reinjured the shoulder or perhaps suffered another injury?

Also, Butler used some really interesting lineups after Golden fouled out and Nze went out. Like David and four guards, with Simas playing the four.

On another note, I was sorry to see Nze fail to return at the end of the game, but it was good to see the Dawgs put the game away with a lineup that included two freshmen (and sometimes three, when Hughes was in) and a sophomore. And I loved seeing Simas (again) sink the game-clinching free throws.

15. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,119
    Nze was noticeably lighter/thinner. It's clear from this year and last year that he has to really lift to keep the weight on. I'm not sure that opting to be a stronger banger vs lighter and more skilled/slashing was the best path for his game but I do know we are much better with him on the floor. Also, I became very worried, watching him in the 2nd half when he started favoring the left shoulder and then, again, when he didn't come back in down the stretch. I hope he will be ok to play the rest of the way.

Simas has hit critical clutch freethrows down the stretch for us in two games now. This time after he was iced for like 5 minutes before he got to shoot and without any music for him to get into...

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

AZRPh likes this.
  16. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,406
    Glad to see butler basketball return tonight! We had plenty of set plays and not nearly as much standing around. Loved the effort as many players jumped after balls and AT was awesome. While the 2nd half appeared stagnant at times, we also missed easy layups that would have energized the offense even more.

Did not care for the hook and hold by golden. He deserved the flagrant for sure and the fact that he pulled him 15 feet into the butler bench was just a really ****ty move. DePaul wasn’t great but they weren’t terrible either especially with Jones being out. Every team is likely going to be missing players this season so there’s really not much of an excuse

17. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,840
    After the last two seasons Butler need not feel bad for any opponent missing players.

18. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $594
    Nice to see David play well today. I think it may have been his best game. And Taylor and Luko have the chance to be really special. From the stands couldn't see what happened with Golden. I also couldn't tell if our offense was better today or if Depaul just isn't very good defensively. Defense was definitely better than it's been...good to see the team improving.

2xDawg and Tentozen like this.
  19. BJK

BJK Member

Money:
    $60
    Not DePaul related, but the ESPN ticker just said UConn - Butler game is postponed.

cornette33 likes this.
  20. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,776
    Was mentioned during the game

BJK likes this.