Game Thread: Butler vs. Eastern Illinois (12/11)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by bmradio99, Dec 11, 2021.

1. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,148
    More upside than Hughes, Tate, Harris, Simas, and Taylor? I like Wilmoth, but let's cool it on how good he is or will be. I may eat my words, but I don't think he's going to be a star. Cam Woods potential at best.

2. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $594
    I think more upside than any of those players, yes. I guess it depends what is meant by upside though.

3. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,344
    I’d personally love to get another cam woods on any butler team!!!! Would hate to see wilmoth go but if he does we all knew this was coming with a roster like this and so many players rotating in and the rotation itself changing so much.

I mean also why is Harris not starting now? There is no reason in my mind he shouldn’t start, and I think it may be effecting his consistency

I do think Taylor and simas have more upside than wilmoth though due to how college basketball is played now

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,344
    Starting Saturday!!!!! Nothing but opportunities to turn this around.

Looking at the schedule though the big east seems like a gauntlet

I am worried we only win one game of the next six but the team can get it going and be right back in the ncaa hunt if they can win 4 of the next six.

Take care of the home games and win at St. John’s.

Cherry on top would be beating Purdue but that is a tall order

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,768
    In 10 games, Butler has had five different leading scorers: Harris (3 games), Taylor (2), Bolden (2), Golden (2), and Groce (1)

6. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,768
    As disappointing as the team has looked so far, from a record standpoint, they would have been expected to win only one of the three games that they lost (Texas A&M). (And the A&M loss meant that they played a D-II team instead of a D-I team in the Maui final.) The fact that they weren't competitive against Michigan State or Houston was disappointing. Still, if they had beaten Texas A&M and whomever they played in the Maui final, they'd be 8-2 and we'd be feeling much better. As it is, they'll likely be 7-4 heading into conference play and may have to finish at least .500 in conference and perhaps win a game in the BET just to be an NCAAT bubble team. Certainly not impossible, but they'll have to play much better than they have so far this season to get there.

znelson15 and SCbulldogsfan4life like this.
  7. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,522
    What have you seen that makes you think he has more upside than all of those players?

He gets lost on defense, doesn’t run the floor on breaks as a trailer, and has no post game. He’s mostly floated out to the arc.

I think the best he’s ever looked on D was at the top of the 3-2 defense we ran against someone.

WDLTH and SCbulldogsfan4life like this.
  8. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,316
    While most of this is true, his advanced stats are still very strong on offense (admittedly small sample) and he is still actually significantly impactful on defense.

Fwiw Not having a post game is much more par for the course than a deficiency in this day and age.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

9. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,448
    All together now— it is wilMOTH… not wilMOUTH or wilMUTH. Cmon guys, he’s been here over a year now

10. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,183
    Sounds like I didn't miss much other then a meh performance and for some reason Wilmoth remains in the dog house.

I'm not as high on him as some of y'all are. I think he has some potential, very good qualities to bring to a team but I'm not gaga over him. Still, seems funny he's literally not playing at all. Especially with Nze still out.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  11. Cranjis McBasketball

Money:
    $2,448
    I think wilmoth brings more offensive versatility to the lineup but I noticed that he didn’t rebound too well. Obviously Hughes has a higher motor and, while limited offensively, is doing a good job blocking out, setting screens, and rebounding the ball. Also Hughes has been the main substitute for Golden at the 5. Wilmoth used to be the backup for Groce at the 4 but CD has taken that spot on the depth chart. So it’s not really fair to say Hughes has been taking his minutes. I think it will be matchup dependent and we all knew minutes would be sparse to go around. I don’t it’s a transferring issue more than it is CD playing fairly well and Wilmoth not rebounding. After the OU game, LJ was congratulating CD and Hughes in the locker room and was telling other people to be ready because it will be their night too. He specifically pointed to Wilmoth among others and said something along the lines of “be ready to go when it’s your time because it will be you next”

LJ has had the hot seat the last few games (rightfully so) and I think he is trying to find consistent contributors to right the ship. It makes sense that he is relying on the experience of Groce and CD at the 4— low risk.

On another note, did anyone catch the announcers say Kampen is the defensive coordinator? I’m not too high on him like many others but he’s not going anywhere if that’s his sole focus because our D has been our bright spot so far. It helps when we have a ton of experienced players but I’ve been very surprised on the D and rotations of our newcomers too (Taylor especially).

jarik, bwesson15, butlerguy03 and 4 others like this.
  12. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,846
    Eh, I tend to cut guys some slack on things like this. I mean it’s not like he’s a well known NBA player or coach/GM like Gordon Haywood or Brad Stephens.

2xDawg, Tentozen, BoyGeoff and 4 others like this.
  13. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,627
    Or former standouts: Cam Woods, Kyle Marshall, or Ronald Norad.

Or even our very own insider, Lucas Harkins.

UDDawg likes this.
  14. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,196
    The Wilmoth thing is giving me serious Battle vibes and certain individuals are being loudly silent. While I have felt he is still a year away, I also feel years 3 through, potentially, 5 might be a lot of fun if he can develop a game using the dribble. IF we were to miss out on those years, I would be pretty disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen, BoyGeoff, BNiche and 3 others like this.
  15. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,276
    If Wilmoth leaves is doesn't that leave us really short at the 4 and 5 spot next season? Also, I should know this, but does Golden still get another year or was the waiver only for those who were seniors last year?

16. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,764
    No. No Golden. No no no.

17. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,276
    Thanks

jkcdawgs likes this.
  18. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,196
    Yes, Golden has another year of eligibility. Last year didn't use up a year of eligibility for anyone.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. Cranjis McBasketball

Money:
    $2,448
    Next year we have JMM/Hughes/Turnbull at the 5, Wilmoth at the 4, Taylor/Thomas/Simas at the 3, Harris at the 2, and Tate at the 1. These are just their “natural roles” and most can move up and down a position if needed but yes, we are extremely limited in SEVERAL positions next year even without transfers and injuries— which makes no sense as to why people are thinking Wilmoth might transfer. All those minutes are his next year.

And Yes he has the option of coming back for a 5th year (as do all players from last season, freshman thru senior). Jkc just doesn’t want him back if this is the version of him that we get.

20. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,183
    The rules regarding covid have had my head spinning for a year now. I do agree he can come back if he wants.

The question is do any of us want that. Then again, we're bone dry down low next year if he weren't to use that extra year so.....shrug.