Game Thread: Butler vs. Eastern Illinois (12/11)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by bmradio99, Dec 11, 2021.

1. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,107
    Thanks for the correction.

2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,504
    Cranjis you get it. What you wrote is correct. David is a far better defender as is DJ. They both box out , are strong rebounders and have a nose for where the ball is going. This is not a knock on Wilmoth ,who is a better shooter than DJ by far , but Jordan had to find someone to take on duties temporarily vacated by Nze. Jordan tried Mulloy but he couldn’t do it. So he went with DJ over redshirting him. Wilmoth is more of a four than a five. If he can put on a lot more weight so he can bang then yes he could be used as a five. . Defensively he is not as good as David. After this year we lose David, Nze, Groce and Hodges. Wilmoth is in a ideal situation after this year if he really wants to get after it but it’s up to him not Jordan.

Jordan kind of alluded to his frustration with Golden in his post game interview when he commented on his dropped balls and turnovers. The problem with Golden is concentration, focus and taking plays off. He doesn’t have that constant effort or that Howard motor. However his numbers are vastly improved. Other than David and DJ we don’t have anyone else that can bang in the paint. To wish he will leave after this year and be replaced with someone better is wishful thinking.

Kampen is the defensive coordinator and his changing up from man-to-man back to zone and using three quarter court pressure against Oklahoma worked. Defense is the great equalizer when the offense isn’t strong which right now isn’t. That’s where Kampen, AT, DJ, David come in. Surprisingly even Bolden is much much better on defense than last year.

3. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $945
    Facts are facts. While I like Hughes effort....he's a 6-6 post man who can't shoot. He will be eaten up in the BE. Next year we need to strike the transfer portal. X brought in 7 foot Jack Nunge from Iowa for his senior year. He had 31 points last night against Cincy. Recruiting transfers next year is our answer at the five/four...not what we have on this roster. JMO.

Tentozen, bmradio99 and znelson15 like this.
  4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,504
    no argument here. Absolutely we have to hit the transfer market and hopefully bigs and not more guards. I don’t know that DJ will get eaten up. He seems to hold his ground well , appears fairly athletic and is not afraid to get after it. Offensively he won’t scare many but thus far has been a work horse not unlike Tyler Wideman. Hope we get a big that is not a Rick Smits or a Nate Fowler. Until last night Nunge was averaging 12.7 points and 8 rebounds in 22 minutes of action. Good numbers obviously. Will he repeat yesterday’s numbers ? Nunge looks like he was ranked in the 150 area coming out of high school in 2017 yet didn’t set the world on fire until Xavier. That was Laval’s first year and we had Wideman, Brunk and Fowler at the five.

5. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,207
    I'd be real happy getting a Rik Smits on the transfer market.

Seriously though, we can't bank on a quality big via the portal. The competition for the good ones who transfer is fierce.

2xDawg and bmradio99 like this.
  6. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,175
    For real. What motivation does a strong 4 or 5 man have for coming to Butler? Reputations matter. LaVall Jordan is a guard's coach. Georgetown is a dumpster fire but big guys still want to play for Patrick Ewing (as they did for JTIII). IMO Butler's lived (and even thrived!) on "undersized and scrappy" for so long because they've had to, not because they necessarily want to.

7. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,163
    Yep... bigs are tough to get. Especially ones that can bang in the big east who would want to choose a sub .500 program when I'm sure there are plenty of other suitors. You'd really have to settle on a mid to low major big who can be a body, rebound and clean up.

Or go sniff the JC route? But that rarely works out. Gonna be a tough road to get a ready big.

2xDawg and Danville Bulldog like this.
  8. bwesson15

bwesson15 Well-Known Member

I know he’s took a lot of heat this season for his play, but in his past 4 games Golden is now averaging 15.2 points and 6.2 rebounds while shooting 70% from the field and he’s 24 of 30 from 2 and that’s with the missed dunk and wide open layup. True 3 of the games the competition wasn’t great, but maybe this changes his season and gets him to what we all thought he would be this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    znelson15, BNiche, bmradio99 and 3 others like this.
  9. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,143
    We can only hope and pray. His hands are made of bricks.

znelson15 and DawgPoundMac like this.
  10. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,791
    At 7-4, I don't think 10-10 in the Big East cuts it for an at large. They'd have to go 11-9 to make it to 18-13 overall, which would still likely result in them needing a BET win to get to 19-14 and a "last four in" type resume. I just don't see that happening. You can make an argument for being .500 in conference play but even that seems like a tall order.

11. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $945
    It might if the BE is perceived/ranked as one of the top 2 conferences in the country....as many pundits are now saying.

12. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $636
    I’m also of the opinion that this year’s Big East will provide more than enough opportunities to collect quality wins (whether they can actually do that is another question.) Butler has been making a living the last few years by being tough to beat at Hinkle, and that rings true even when Villanova comes to town. The trouble begins when they have to get wins on the road, and it’s the one thing that truly has bothered me about LaVall’s teams - they’re just not very good at it.

Leading up to the Oklahoma game, Butler's record on the road has been a lousy 11-32, and that doesn’t take into account *how* badly they lose when they play at Creighton, Providence, and sometimes Marquette. If Butler can play .500 basketball in the Big East this year, that to me would indicate they were able to pick up several quality wins, but in order to that they’ll have to steal a win or two on the road against someone that gives them fits. I tend to equate road wins to playing gritty and tough, but that traditionally hasn’t been LaVall’s MO.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    bmradio99 likes this.
  13. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,556
    Isn't this a fairly accurate description of Tyler Wideman? I thought he held his own pretty well in BE play, although playing alongside Chrabascz was certainly helpful.

DawgsMD likes this.
  14. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,487
    Golden < Chrabascz (understatement of the decade)

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

15. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Well-Known Member

Money:
    $533
    Tyler was a brut on the boards. As for shooting & without looking it up I’m fairly certain he shot a solid percentage at least his senior year, maybe even junior. Maybe not lots of total points tho reliable around the rim. Like 4/6, 5/8, along those lines. If My recollection is off I’m confident someone will try roasting me as if it would get them an award or scholarship something HA!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,795
    Nah this is accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

17. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Active Member

Money:
    $332
    Well it seems like many of us have gone from saying there's no way they'll make the tourney to it's highly unlikely they'll go to the tourney. Progress lol.

bmradio99, 2xDawg and BulldogsFTW like this.
  18. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,107
    Wasn't Wideman a couple of inches bigger?

BoyGeoff likes this.
  19. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,605
    Not sure about pundits, but all the sports data sites show that BE and B1G are head and shoulders above the other conferences using RPI methodology - BE is 3 10,000's short of the Big 10 (.0003)
    http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

20. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,506
    DJ I believe is 6'7 not 6'6 and Tyler was 6'7 6'8