Game Thread: Butler vs Michigan State (11/17)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Nov 15, 2021.

1. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,921
    upload_2021-11-15_9-9-41.png vs upload_2021-11-15_9-10-1.png
    (1-1) (3-0)

KenPom Rankings

26th - Overall - 61st
    44th - Offense - 71st
    12th - Defense - 53rd
    95th - Tempo - 355th

Time: 7:00 PM Eastern
    TV: FS1
    Radio: WXNT 1430AM
    Live Stats

Butler Roster
    Michigan State Roster

2. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,490
    Michigan State should be a slight favorite. Even with Thompson, and it being at Hinkle, I'll be happy if it's competitive. Keeping them off the offensive glass and taking care of the ball would be helpful.

godogs91 likes this.
  3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,206
    I’m clearly bearish on this Butler team, but people are overvaluing MSU because it’s MSU. They’re not bad - they never are. But this isn’t a great team.

Hoping for a competitive game against a fringe top 25 opponent at home is setting the bar too low I think.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

4. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,316
    I think of MSU as the basketball version of Notre Dame football. That said, a win over MSU is significant, no matter the year and circumstances.

seadawg likes this.
  5. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,331
    ND has covered for me every game this year not called Cincy so...I like them I guess (not really, I like my account being higher). But yeah lots of sizzle every year...results are underwhelming it seems. Saying that...

It's a huge name in a huge spot in a marquee time. It's not the end all be all but a win would do wonders and will end up being a net 1 win on the resume. Need the bigs to play big. Got to match their toughness.

TheDawgDub95 and seadawg like this.
  6. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,364
    MSU normally improves under Izzo through out the season. The past couple of years have been an exception. BU is fortunate to play this game early in the schedule. It should be a great early season test.

7. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,425
    Nail on the head. They typically have 3-4 losses in the non-con and end up figuring things out come conference play.

8. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,206
    This is often true.

2016: MSU was 18th in Pom at the beginning of the year and entered the tournament 2nd.
    2018: started the year 10th, entered tournament 6th.
    2019: started the year 13th, entered tournament 4th.

But in 2017 and 2021, they actually regressed significantly over the course of the season.

bwesson15 likes this.
  9. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,752
    Honestly, I think this is a big game. Starting PG is back, worked out the kinks and the rust against lesser teams, now the real fun begins. So far I feel the Big East has shown enough weakness that there's no reason Butler can't go 10-10 in league play. Combine that with a 9-3 noncon and odds would be good for an at large. A win here gives some breathing room with Maui, and the OK/Purdue games in December. A loss means they need to go 2-1 in Maui and split the OK/Purdue games.

10. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,162
    KenPom and Torvik have it as Butler +1. I wouldn't be surprised if Vegas starts at +2.5 or so.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  11. The Peppers Drunk Limo

The Peppers Drunk Limo Active Member

Money:
    $336
    The IUPUI-Central Arkansas-Troy stretch was useful mostly for getting Taylor and Wilmouth a good volume of minutes. There was little to learn from it, otherwise.

We'll learn plenty over the next three weeks, starting with this game. Michigan State may not have Final Four upside this year, but they'll be physical and they'll defend. The same goes for each team Butler will face in Vegas, assuming they avoid the cellar-dweller Chaminade game and ND along the way. The same goes for Oklahoma in early December. It's likely that five of Butler's next six games will come against tournament-hopeful, defense-first teams that take the air out of the ball. Each one could plausibly end up a top-50 defense by year's end. AT had better not be rusty.

If Butler's going to make any kind of noise this year, then by mid-December we'll have seen multiple examples of how this team can get buckets (or free throws!) in a tight, low-possession game against a quality opponent. My guess is that they're good enough to get a game to 58-55 at the under-four timeout against a Houston or a Wisconsin. Don't know what it'll look like from there. Hopefully it'll be pretty positive, and even better once Hodges and Tate are healthy.

codawg and dawgs2014 like this.
  12. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,597
    I'm a bit concerned about the MSU game as AT's first "true" game this year...after whatever he did to earn the suspension. It was good to see him engaged on the bench during the Troy game though.

I hope AT doesn't play sloppy, or this board will be calling for his head.

13. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,331
    He's earned enough slack around here where I don't think anyone calls for his head. And the reason he is suspended is silly. Nothing nefarious or anything to call into question his character. Nothing close. What Grubbs said a few days ago is right, it would ignite some "SMH" moments in the fanbase.

Anyway...go team. But I'm betting on MSU.

14. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,448
    I expect us to and will be disappointed if we don't win. MSU has the name cache of Villanova, but last season and this season on the court, they've played more like that of Providence

However with all our new/different parts, the thing I'm most intrigued to see this game is how MSU scouts and plays us

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    TheDawgDub95 likes this.
  15. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,100
    Healthy place to be. I don’t expect us to win, yet will still be disappointed if we don’t. I think Taylor may have to adjust a little bit to not being able to win on physical gifts alone. We need C3 to ball out. He’s shown he can do it against this quality of team but he will likely need to be more assertive than he has been so far.

We *can* win for sure-I just think a lot more things need to go right than not.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

16. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,550
    Will admit that when we started so sloppy v. Troy was the first time I found myself thinking that AT had let his teammates down. Thankfully the second half played out the way it did.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  17. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $19,179
    Joey Brown and Xavier Booker will be at game

18. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,239
    Josh Pickett too :)

19. thevinrod

thevinrod Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $838
    This reminds me of the OSU game (no Evan Turner). Big Ten team with all of the hype comes into Hinkle and shows up well, then in the second half we kick the s#it out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerProf and znelson15 like this.
  20. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,428
    Does anyone else believe winning this game is huge for showing we are a ncaa team?

It’s a Michigan state team that is decent but if we want an at large we need this game. I don’t think Michigan state is great and I do believe a lot of big east teams are better than them.

To be relevant again and on people’s radar we need this win at hinkle.

A lot is going to come down to who plays well Golden or groce, one of them needs to show up.

Bolden I believe will get shut down, izzo is to smart not to make sure he can’t get his shot off. Harris has a chance to get his name on more people’s national radar. Taylor has a chance to show he is a legit freshman and can play against power 5 teams (Baldwin wasted no time against a good northwestern team at home his freshman year)

Honestly this may be the game we’re we miss Hodges the most but I do believe this team can make it happen.

I hope the dawg pound gets after it!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app