Game Thread: Butler vs Michigan State (11/17)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,253
    Why?

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

dawgs2014 and UDDawg like this.
  2. The Hound

The Hound Active Member

Money:
    $218
    It’s not a terrible thing to get your weaknesses exposed early. Embarrassment can be very beneficial. Take the lessons learned and get ready for everything to come. If this team ends up tanking, then its time to hire.

3. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $971
    Can anybody make a gif of the first play of the game where golden wasn’t paying attention and left his man who got a wide open layup from an offensive rebound? Now that the sting has worn off a bit, that was a hilarious boneheaded play.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

znelson15 likes this.
  4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,560
    Too soon.

AZRPh, formz42, jeff and 1 other person like this.
  5. Cranjis McBasketball

Money:
    $971
    The best park is Parker’s reaction on the bench. He throws his hands up and then palms his forehead.

6. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,149
    I think it’s just quantifying what baseball players have always tried to do, no?

7. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,926
    A couple years ago, during a Reds game I had to listen to Thom Brennaman bash exit velocity. And then a few innings later, gush about how hard a player seems to always hit the ball… without noticing the irony.

8. Cranjis McBasketball

Money:
    $971
    Nze won’t be the same for the rest of the season. Every single person he guards on the block will likely be bigger and more physical than him. Having a bum shoulder won’t allow him to block out, rebound, or even shoot like he normally does. If he requires surgery he is pretty much done for 8 weeks to return to basketball, 3-4 months to return to normal physicality

9. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,560
    Yeah and the Big10 refs refused to go to the monitor…

10. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Active Member

Money:
    $373

Yeah, this has pretty much been LaVall’s vision for a long time now. I think he’s been seeing this trend work for a lot of NBA teams, and of course in the last 10 years more college programs have followed suite. Pace and space has taking over the game, which means you need to have the agility, the versatility, and the ability to play on the perimeter. Pretty much all the things you pointed out.

It’s because of these traits that I think allows Butler to matchup well against a team that almost epitomizes this style of play - Villanova. The problem is that it doesn’t work half the time against everyone else, especially against size. LaVall is not Jay Wright (many aren’t,) so he may put the playing style in motion, but he appears not to be great at making adjustments or fine tuning his approach when it doesn’t work on the court, meaning he basically seems to run the same offense every time and hopes that it clicks eventually. The style may work out in time, but right now it just feels like Butler has traded in a methodical approach to offense for one that we don’t run as well as others, and now it feels like we’ve lost our defensive tenacity and mental toughness along with it.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  11. dawgs2014

Money:
    $8,149
    If it’s 8 weeks you almost have to think about it. It sucks it’s no win

12. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,420
    Such was the thinking for Brad Stevens. That was a cold take.

13. Baseline

Baseline Well-Known Member

Money:
    $793
    Defenders put a hand or forearm on a driver constantly. Defenders put both hands on screeners and get away with holding, pushing etc. Post play is a war.
    You're right about some of those rule changes but are you looking at off the ball stuff? That's where I see it. In last two days, I have heard no less than three former players/coaches explaining the importance of playing INSIDE/OUT. Post feeds cause the defense to make decisions. Double team? Play it straight? A post player with just one or two moves can get you a bucket to stop a run. It can also get opponent into foul trouble. Is it as important as years ago? Obviously not. Should it be completely ignored? Absolutely not. The other thing that has drastically increased collisions-contact is the poor enforcement of a traveling violation. Most kids DO NOT execute the Eurostep correctly resulting in him taking 3 steps. Three steps leads to even a less than average ball handler, thinking he can get to the bucket from 20' away. It leads to more contact in the lane on this type of drive. I guess I could be wrong about all of this. I'd hate to think I coached for 36 years and have watched basketball for about 56 years but I'm nothing more than a dumbass.

Danville Bulldog likes this.
  14. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,358
    I just feel I don’t need those things to know how hard Stanton, Judge or Schwarber are killing the ball.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,253
    You don’t need to know those things as a viewer, but isn’t it interesting? And isn’t it interesting to know who’s hitting it hardest/farthest and why? And wouldn’t this be valuable for coaches and players?

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

16. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,358
    If you’re asking me as a viewer, no. I can see when a ball is hit hard. I don’t know to what extent coaches use those specific measurements. But I would think how good the swing is trumps how hard they hit it.

As a Cub fan I’ll use David Bote as an example. Joe Madden was quoted as saying “He hits the ball hard” “He makes hard contact”. But his best season he had a .257 avg, .422 slugging. 93 strike outs in 303 AB’s. 11 home runs. So basically 1 in every 3 AB’s was a strike out. 8.5 strike outs per HR.

I know I’m singling out 1 player, but that’s the 1 I know best.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,443
    Honestly it’s the only play that sticks in my head. Right then I said oh this is how it’s going to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,443
    So for the first time i was so upset about last night I didn’t post about the game.

Yea we lost to Michigan state but if we lose to them at home don’t we want to be a program that makes it very close we we were out classes on every level.

-Golden was awful as in John Micheal looked way Better than him

-Nze just wants to be on the perimeter now and look for threes. Bummed he got hurt

-bolden was exactly what I thought he would be agains real d1 talent

-Thompson dribbles way to much and just keeps waiting for pick and rolls but he can’t actually pull up from anywhere and please maybe just try a floater even.

-freshman are young but have talent and they need to just play

-Hodges would not have helped us that game, sorry for those who think he would of but I just think he would of just added to Michigan state blocking us even more

-groce did you ok but I don’t want him just throwing up threes all fake we need some inside presence

-Harris was frustrated and tried to do to much which is ok but to me he wants to be our there as the starting point guard and not soon side AT and I don’t blame him. This is Harris team and we need to let him be that guy. Thompson needs the ball to much to make things happen and it took away from Taylor and Harris

-right now we are not a ncaa team, and that is what hurts the most. The big east teams already look to be getting better and I haven’t seen much to be stoked about our team. And yes we beat three really bad non con teams but we never fully looked in control of any of those games

- I saw no passion last night and I also saw the same seniors who haven’t shown much for leadership and getting after there team and that bums me out.

-we will see how the next few games go but come conference I want to live and die by our underclassmen. PLEASE Let them build something actually !!!!!!!!!!!!

Lot to unload and as always go dawgs!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. dawgs2014

Money:
    $8,149
    If we look at Bote though, he was a middling prospect who nobody thought much of until they started measuring exit velo for minor leaguers. Once they started doing that the cubs realized they may have something. So while you’re right that nothing Bote has done has been particularly noteworthy, the cubs got a major league player from a fringe minor leaguer because they started looking at exit velo.

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  20. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,456
    By “can shoot”, do you mean has the ability to shoot or is a shooter from deep? I don’t think LaVall has prioritized shooting. Certainly, not as much compared to length and athleticism. You don’t have the 248th 3FG% team in the nation last season and go through the last 2 transfer periods adding a non and below average shooter if that’s a priority. While I enjoy optimistic view on the underclass men, I’m a little more hesitant on whether any of them (outside of Harris) will be shooters. Time will tell

Further along those lines, just a trend to pay attention to is our 3FAr. Idk if the team thought the first 3 games made them the Golden State Warriors or if this is the game plan this season. So far we rank 10th in the nation on 3FGA rate at 52.6%. You would think that would have gone down ln w Thompson being back in the lineup, but we actually upped it to 53.6%. Small Sample Size, but again time will tell

idk what the board thinks about this style, but I don’t want this team launching that much?

willisbrown likes this.