Game Thread: Butler vs Michigan State (11/17)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Active Member

Money:
    $348

I would point out that with the exception of Thompson, David, and Golden, we haven’t really had a chance to see what a 3-4 year player looks like under LaVall (I’m not sure Malloy should count given that much wasn’t expected of him. )

Almost everyone in his rotation have been rentals and leftovers from a previous coach, so while I agree that development needs to be better, it’s not like he just completely neglected that role altogether.

2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,100
    For sure. But none of those guys were ever the number one guy at any point (although Chrabs and Rose may have been the best players). All of them always has a Rot, KD, Kelan, Kamar to be the go to guy. Those guys all had more physically skilled guys to partner with. I think this team has that also (last year didn’t)-he’s just a freshman and they haven’t turned things over to him yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. dawgs2014

Money:
    $8,100
    This is a huge problem also-especially considering the talent level of those who have left.

willisbrown likes this.
  4. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $421
    I’m down with this. Supporting casts. Team basketball. Role players. Maybe we’re really talking about team development as much as individual, and then of course both. As for Khyle, what I like most is he was wildly athletic, a lefty, played hard at the rim unafraid of physical contact, didn’t need to be a star, happily contributed

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

bubby likes this.
  5. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,506
    Two things:

For 3 years I felt like Kamar Baldwin was keeping us from falling into the abyss with as many times as he repeatedly bailed us out of poor offensive possessions. I fear this feeling is starting to be affirmed.

I watched the game, again, last night for the first time since seeing it in person so I could be less emotional and more analytical. For the first half, I came away feeling things may not be as bad as I felt watching things live. That doesn't mean good in any sense of the word but not as bad as I felt when leaving Hinkle. We blew 3 layups and Chuck was fouled, with no call, on another. Combine that with the blown block/charge call on Mulloy (which gifted them 3 points) and we could have been right there at halftime.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg, BUcheer and nicklas_early like this.
  6. dawgs2014

Money:
    $8,100
    I *do* agree with this. I think we’re pretty bad, but i also think a lot of things went against us that won’t always go against us. Probably should have lost by 10-12

7. nicklas_early

nicklas_early Well-Known Member

Money:
    $550
    I absolutely agree. Obviously, I am a huge Butler fan and was disappointed. Butler didn't play well and it seemed that every time that they closed the gap and tried to make a run, Sparty answered immediately. It's hard to be behind and to "crawl back" the entire game. If - given the circumstances you stated in your post happened and it was a close game at halftime - would the game have spiraled out of control and led to a 20 point loss? It could have but I doubt it - and I am sure most of us on here would have had a much different perspective of this team.

I will also note...I feel this is the most emotional the board has ever been after a loss (BY FAR) since I have been reading. I joined in 2017 but was reading for a few years before making an account. Not making fun or anything like that but, as I typed earlier in the thread, I don't quite understand it.