Game Thread: Butler vs New Orleans (11/7)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Nov 3, 2022.

1. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,803
    Despite the potential concerns about perimeter shooting in general, there were plenty to be encouraged about with this win, particularly from the defensive side. This Butler team will cause frustration for others if they can disrupt ball movement and passing lanes like they have lately, and the best part is they're only going to get better as the season progresses, it's almost inevitable under this coaching staff. There could be some ups and downs, but I'm feeling confident this team can at least compete with whoever they face, and that's not something I could say last year. It's a good feeling to have.

troggy, 2xDawg and BURph92 like this.
  2. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,068
    Does this mean lemonade is back at Hinkle?

3. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,585
  4. Woof

Woof Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,424
    Some quick takeaways:
    • We’ve never had a player like Bates. His presence alone defensively is going to keep us in big games, but if we can get close this level of offense out of him consistently, he’s going to be an All-BE player easily.
    • Hunter seems to bring a calming, controlled aura when he’s on the floor. Never gets rattled. Also, no offense to AT, but it’s incredibly refreshing to have a point guard who can truly provide offense.
    • Harris, Taylor, and Luko can all make big jumps this year if they can stay confident. Seemed like their body language was a little off early in the game. Harris and Taylor, in particular, were a bit gun-shy passing up open looks. That seemed to dissipate once some shots started falling though. Again, another area where having Hunter on the floor can help out IMO.
    • Loved the minutes we got out of Pierce. He was active on defense, grabbed rebounds, and threw down a nasty dunk off a steal. He’s going to provide some huge energy minutes off the bench, and that’s all we really need from him right now. If his basketball skill gets anywhere close to his athleticism, the skies the limit.
    • Not concerned about the outside shooting as I think it’ll come. My biggest worry is what happens when Bates gets into foul trouble. Hughes gave us some good minutes, but NoLa lobbed right over top of our defenders when Bates was out. JT coming back will be a big boost, but we’ll have to survive until then (or Bates can play 40 minutes of foul-less D ).

dippper61, troggy, IndyDawgs and 2 others like this.
  5. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $256
    Bottom line. Need to get healthy. If Bates goes down, we are doomed. JT, Ali Ali, Wilmoth. Need some bodies there. Hughes and Turnbull are not ready.

Get 2 of the 3 healthy and we can make a splash in the tourney.

dippper61, BoyGeoff, Dawgedd and 3 others like this.
  6. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,574
    Well that was exciting

Re watched what I could….

Seems to me harris has really worked on his handle

Pierce made some really good quick decision passes, I believe both were to Harris for threes

Bates is no words needed but seeing someone like that in a butler uniform is a dream

Hunter has def taken over as the general of this team and to me the team responds to him really well

All around win or lose the team is so much different to watch than last year in thee best way possible and that has me jazzed

Very excited for this penn state game

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg likes this.
  7. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,585
    Agree. What is the probability we get JT and/or Ali Ali back by Battle 4 Atlantis?

Penn state (KP 38 road) will be a real test. If we can somehow pull that out without 2 potential starters then we got something going.

I just hope we don’t fall in a hole because of injuries and are sitting at 3-5 or 4-4 going in to December with 0 quality wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,038
    I will say one of the more encouraging things so far has been that we’ve played better in each game so far. We looked terrible against Tiffin. We looked solid against Davenport. We looked good last night.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

znelson15, IndyDawgs and BURph92 like this.
  9. BUBBALUM

BUBBALUM Active Member

Money:
    $454
    I'll forgive Luko's misses in the 2nd half (esp. the FTs). That first shot from New Orleans gave me the, "Hinkle Rims, here we go again, vibe." However, that quickly dissipated after a few minutes.

10. johnhardingftw

johnhardingftw Member

Money:
    $6,468
    Thunderdunks!

BulldogsFTW likes this.
  11. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,791
    Team rankings just moved BU from #88 to #63 and from the 10th best in the BE to 7th. Not bad for a one data point day. They also ascribe a 30% chance for us to make the NCAA tournament and a 33% chance of beating PSU.

znelson15, BURph92 and Dawgedd like this.
  12. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,918
    My takeaways article is up and, for the season-opener, it's free to read from the jump. Just tossing it here if anyone is interested.

13. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,978
    Was only able to half watch the game (toddlers make it impossible to focus or have time in general), but other than being a little loose with the ball and missing open outside looks, I actually enjoyed watching them. Such a contrast with the last couple seasons where it could be painful to watch them play where there was zero flow.

Enjoyed reading the new IndyStar beat writer's analysis on the game - hopefully he sticks around.

As others have said, if Bates goes down, yikes. They simply aren't skilled enough (right now) to win games from the 3 point line. He changes so much on both sides.

znelson15 likes this.
  14. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,022
    We were talking about this on the way home from the game last night. I know it’s coach speak but Thad has talked multiple times about improving each time out.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

15. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,022
    Apologizes if this has been discussed already but was JMM available last night? Looked like he was going through warmups and thought he could provide some backup minutes at the 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

16. DawgDude

DawgDude Active Member

Money:
    $342
    Besides Bates ,who is a beast, I was very impressed with Harris attacking the rim off the bounce ( he had one that he layer up with his left hand through a crowd that was unbelievable) . Similarly Hunter was impressive going down hill. Simas sees the floor at an entirely different level.

Tentozen and SCbulldogsfan4life like this.
  17. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,383
    If J. Thomas and Ali are as advertised we are going to be very good. Would love to see them back asap but one good thing about being in the BE we will get plenty of opportunities for quality wins even if the injuries mean we drop a few we may have otherwise won before conference play starts. Really stoked about how good Hunter and Bates are. Watched a bit of the Creighton game, and I know I'm biased but from what I've seen so far I'd take Bates over Kalkbrenner any day of the week. Looking forward to that match up.

Tentozen likes this.
  18. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,804
    I didn't see it reported anywhere, but the fact that he was dressed, but didn't play makes me think he was available on an emergency basis only.

19. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $10,204
    FWIW I thought ball movement and defense were both better when PT was on the floor.

20. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $20,444
    The nice thing about Bates is that everybody wins. Butler gets an elite-level player they have never had before, and Bates gets to be the focus, the O run thru him, and he set a career high in scoring in his first game. Everyone wins.

godogs91, znelson15 and seadawg like this.