Game Thread: Butler vs New Orleans (11/7)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Nov 3, 2022.

#60 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,538
    Well analyzed & written. Lukas, you're very good at being even-handedly critical, but not being contentious. That's good & fair writing.

Nicely done.

2. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,239
    Stunning, Butler shot 80% (32-40) on 2 point attempts. That's some kind of efficiency.

jeff likes this.
  3. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,424
    It’s mind blowing how far off Kenpom is on Butler. For reference, I’m a Bradley alum and follow the program closely. Butler is slotted 3 spots ahead of them. Butler would beat Bradley by 25 on a neutral court. I hope Vegas follows suit cause I’m gonna make A LOT of money by the first of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg, estar20dawg, Tentozen and 3 others like this.
  4. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,756
    I think you’re right on this one. He likely still has a taped up ankle and coaches didn’t want to risk a re-injury up 30+ points. I’m not sure we’ll see him much against the smaller PSU. One of JMM’s drawbacks is lack of quickness and slow rotation. Not a great recipe with a smaller opponent. I think we’ll see more of Turnbull if Ali and Wilmoth aren’t back yet.

5. Jimmy Lafakis

Jimmy Lafakis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,196
    Don’t forget JMM. He’ll fill a role

6. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $10,204
    Both Bizjack and Kapke signed LOIs today.

bumba, #60, bwesson15 and 7 others like this.
  7. thevinrod

thevinrod Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $974
    Last night a dude blew by Turnbull for an open dunk. Wouldn’t assume his D is “there”.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,096
    One more winner - Thad. He gets to put that tape on when talking to big men recruits and say "See, it wasn't just at Ohio State that I can do that with big guys...and that was only game 1"

#PagingFlory

Tentozen and TheDawgDub95 like this.
  9. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,038
    Lol.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  10. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,217
    Did they say that on the broadcast or did you already know?

11. BUcheer

Money:
    $9,217
    Yep—people around me immediately made the connection:)

#60 and iluvsnow like this.
  12. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,383
    Highlights

bumba likes this.
  13. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,218

Attached Files:

14. Cranjis McBasketball

Money:
    $2,756
    I think he will for sure while Thomas is out. I’m excited to see how Oden has affected his development. I just think there are a few intangible things that are hard for a 6’10 guy to develop late in his career. Guarding smaller/quicker players mainly.

PSU has a guard heavy lineup. So it’s paramount to have a forward in there who can pick someone up if our guards get beat. That requires lateral foot speed or good height/block ability. He’s obviously got the height but only has 3 blocks in 270 minutes played. Again I hope I eat my words and his development is lightyears better than anticipated. He’ll be useful in certain matchups with traditional slower big men but I don’t see it here. But who knows, maybe his offensive improvements over the year can compensate for his lack of quickness defensively for this game. We could use someone with his height with good post up skills

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

15. BUcheer

Money:
    $9,217
    Was going to make the same observation—improved each game. Was told that Thad really likes this team as they listen and actually come back the next day and work on what needs improvement and want to get better.

znelson15 likes this.
  16. Woof

Woof Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,424
    Perhaps more than the stats and analytics (as least for me), watching Butler is fun again. The last couple of years were so painful to watch, win or lose. Obviously, more dunks and athleticism are always fun, but we finally have some tempo and ball movement! As Lukas pointed out in his article, the shots we took were good looks, even if they all didn't go down. It felt so rare that we would get any easy buckets last year. Last year's team wouldn't have shot 32-40 from 2. Not due to lack of talent, but lack of any coherent offense.

Combined with hard-nosed defense on display, we're passing the eye test early on. Doesn't mean we won't have some bad games, but I'm hopeful that the ratio of fun-to-root canal will tilt more in the fun direction.

17. HinkleMagic20

HinkleMagic20 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $575
    Manny Bates is the type of big that Butler's program simply hasn't had before.

Long, super athletic, high flying, and can play above the rim and protect it defensively.

This also about the longest and most athletic team I think we've ever had. It also seems that there's multiple guys who can score, even if we lack an elite go-to scorer. Has me excited for the rest of the season. I think we didn't shoot great, but Lukosius was ice cold from outside, and I don't expect that to continue.

bumba likes this.
  18. BUcheer

Money:
    $9,217
    I wouldn’t count on either back by the Atlantis. Let’s just focus on who we have now and enjoy the heck out of it. I get folks being impatient to be at full strength (not saying that’s you) but expectations about timeframes for players’ return let alone how much they can contribute at that point inevitably leads to disappointment.

19. Cranjis McBasketball

Money:
    $2,756
    You mean you weren’t entertained after last year’s 56 point opener against IUPUI?

20. Cranjis McBasketball

Money:
    $2,756
    I put a lot more stock in it when it’s comes from you rather than someone 3 or 4 degrees outside the program. It’s a bummer but it’s more insight. I get that Thad is tight lipped about it but when they say “day to day” I wake up every morning looking for positive news that someone is at practice. Hopefully we’ll have some sort of “news” about a timetable after next week’s game.