Game Thread: Butler vs. Purdue (12/18)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Dec 16, 2021.

1. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,077
    upload_2021-12-16_15-34-12.png VS #3 upload_2021-12-16_15-35-16.jpeg

(7-3) (9-1)

KenPom Rankings

86th - Overall - 4th
    117th - Offense - 1st
    62nd - Defense - 41st
    345th - Tempo - 152nd

Time: 12:00 PM Eastern
    TV: FOX
    Radio: WXNT 1430AM

Butler Roster
    Purdue Roster

2. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,077
    Crossroads Classic records:
    IU 7-3
    Butler 6-4
    Notre Dame 4-6
    Purdue 3-7

3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,868
    Purdue bout to be 4-7 and by a lot.

I'll watch to see how good they are and how we try to defend a clear mismatch. I'm sure our almighty defensive coordinator has a great game plan ready...eye roll thingy.

Prediction...I'll go with Purdue 81 Butler 57

4. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,606
    Clinched 2nd place. IU would win the tiebreaker head-to-head (I think).

5. tjreese

tjreese Active Member

Money:
    $341
    Stopped in a few times to see if insanedawg had posted. never saw anything and checked in a few more times the last month or so and then saw he "was seen" and so that is good. You always worry with the disappearance of an older poster, but glad to see he "was seen". Thought I would share a video on Matt concerning Butler, the Crossroads and his Purdue team in general. FWIW, Matt shares with many Butler fans that the Crossroads is a really good thing and hates to see it go away...even if Purdue never did very well. ;)

6. Bernie44

Bernie44 Active Member

Money:
    $218
    Nice to hear a coach actually answer questions with real answers!

7. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,472
    I agree. He gives honest, thoughtful, and insightful answers to questions. He seems to genuinely respect the Butler basketball program. He runs a successful, high-level program the right way.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

8. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,250

9. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,631
    upload_2021-12-16_23-57-6.png

Big step in stopping Purdue is shutting down their 3FG attack like Rutgers and NC State did. Our 3FG% defense is good, but we allow teams to shoot a lot of 3’s (typically not a recipe for good 3FG defense). Purdue shoots over 40% 3FG% as a team

dawgs2014 likes this.
  10. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,631
    Kinda conflicted whether I want Nze back to wrestle down low against 7’4” 285 Edey and 6’10” 265 Williams w a partially torn labrum. Thoughts?

11. willisbrown

Money:
    $13,868
    No. It ain't my body so if he wants to give it a go...good luck. But he'll be manhandled down there and could risk severe damage.

This is simply a mismatch from hell. Both inside and out. I'm trying to think of how high the line would have to go for me not to bet on it.

12. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,548
    Hope whoever has to call the game has plenty of side stories to tell. Will watch, but not looking forward to it. At least bowl season should serve as a nice distraction.

13. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Active Member

Money:
    $212
    C'mon, we're approaching this like we have no chance. People on the Rutgers forums (if they exist) were probably saying the same thing. Do I think we'll win? No. But I'm willing to at least watch things play out, and you never know . . .

*Now proceed to tell me all the advantages Rutgers had that we don't.*

knobcreekfan and jeff like this.
  14. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,542
    You have obviously never seen their practice facility.

15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,449
    You’re not wrong. Rutgers is likely going to be worse than Butler over the course of this season. But if you watched that particular game, they played at a level that game that I’m not sure Butler has in them without Nze. They may have more variance upside than Butler even if they’re worse on average.

In any event, it’s not that we can’t win - I mean, Virginia lost to UMBC; college basketball is crazy. It’s just really unlikely and it’ll take some good luck (mostly Purdue shooting particularly poorly and Butler shooting particularly well). Sucks to have to rely on that as the only realistic chance.

SCbulldogsfan4life likes this.
  16. HinkleMagic20

HinkleMagic20 Member

Money:
    $112
    I'm just hoping we can keep it competitive.

17. willisbrown

Money:
    $13,868
    And this is the mindset I hate. I'm not saying you're wrong in thinking it. Just that you have to think that way. We're on here hoping for it not to be a national TV embarrassment. That's the state of this program right now and it's ridiculous, with the success we've had, that we're now here.

BoyGeoff, jkcdawgs and Clevedog like this.
  18. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,571
    UMBC also had the best athlete in the floor and we most definitely will not.

19. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,501
    From David Woods write up in the Indy Star:

“Butler has no one to match up against Purdue’s center combo of 7-4 Zach Edey and 6-10 Trevion Williams, who are averaging a collective 28.8 points and 16.3 rebounds a game.”

“The Bulldogs inevitably will throw a combination of 6-9 Bryce Golden, the 6-8 Groce, 6-6 DJ Hughes and 6-10 John-Michael Mulloy against the big Boilermakers. Jordan, too, has often employed a zone defense.”

Anyone notice who WASN’T mentioned? Anyone? Bueller?

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

Hinkle, UDDawg and seadawg like this.
  20. tjreese

tjreese Active Member

Money:
    $341
    Yes, he is very respectful of Butler. It is almost uncommon for him to not mention Butler in some interview not specific about another team.

seadawg likes this.