Game Thread: Butler vs. Purdue (12/18)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Dec 16, 2021.

1. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,292
    No, but I certainly expected us to be competitive ffs. There is no acceptable reason we should have been destroyed like that.

2. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,349
    I mean. You practically nailed it. What a total **** show.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Danville Bulldog and jkcdawgs like this.
  3. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,283
    Sure but he usually doesn’t have to. Like today he finished with 3. It’s unlikely, though, possible he picks up two in the time he was on the bench.

The problem with putting him on the bench is the Jordan essentially waved the white flag so that he could “save him” for the end of a game that they trailed by 35.

It’s not justifiable.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Tentozen likes this.
  4. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,625
    It was the first game AT looked like himself?
    LaVall won’t lose anymore Crossroads games going forward?
    We found new and exciting ways to misspell things on this board?

Those are my top 3.

5. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $594
    Freshmen look ok. I still don't understand why the 5th year seniors all came back for this, or why anyone thought that was a good idea after last year. I have this weird sense that the people involved in the program have a belief that we are something we aren't...not sure I can put it in words. I think Harris, Taylor, and Luko is a decent start to build something around.

ButlerProf likes this.
  6. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,159
    I can think of a great Christmas present if it happened. No, I'm not kidding myself nor have i been drinking (I should have) it never would happen. But I still can wish. Tis the season.

7. dawgs2014

Money:
    $10,283
    I’m not gonna respond to you if you defend your clearly wrong justification by talking another a COMPLETELY different thing.

8. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,839
    The only other one I’ve got is just 7 turnovers.

2xDawg, ButlerProf and dawgs2014 like this.
  9. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,292
    You defended the success of year 1 & 3. I said that had little to do with LJ. What did you miss? If it was a pattern then LJ would be recruiting at the same level.

10. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,899
    Let's say Nze and Hodges are magically healed by January 1 for conference play. Does the roster make you competitive in the big east? I really don't think so.

11. BNiche

BNiche Active Member

Money:
    $353
    ... at least St John's lost to a 3-7 Pitt team and doesn't have Champagnie......... that's all I got.

12. dawgs2014

Money:
    $10,283
    You said you’re upset the program is declining year over year. I said we had the most success years 1 and 3. You just agreed with me. Whether it has to do with Lavall or not doesn’t change that we have objectively not gotten worse every year?

How are you still trying to defend your point?

13. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,057
    It’s not about losing this game. That was expected. Take Harris out, and it’s pretty much a guaranteed loss. The part that is hard to watch is how Butler loses. It is not even competitive. My wife, who’s a Butler alum but a casual fan, sat down and immediately asked what happened to Butler, they used to play so hard?
    So disappointed in this team. It starts with Lavall. I know he’s trying and I don’t fault his dedication or hard work. However, his ability to get teams ready or prepared for games is beyond obvious. Just time for a chang

IndyDawgs, 2xDawg, AZRPh and 3 others like this.
  14. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,292
    Programs decline when you don't recruit well. Programs decline when HC's dont understand how to develop players.

I'm wondering... did you just miss the awful performance our team just put on the court?

15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,292

Another recruit we missed on makes the game winner. Burton took an official to BU.

16. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,096
    No, I agree with you to a certain extent. I was just having fun with your original post. At the end of the day, someone has to consistently put the ball in the basket in order for them to win games.

The truth is that we simply don't currently have a Kelan Martin, Kamar Baldwin, Kellen Dunham, Gordon Hayward, or Shelvin Mack on the team. You need those kind of guys to win, preferably more than 1. Those guys weren't just getting wide open shots all the time. They had to create and convert good looks for themselves despite how proficient the offensive sets were or were not that year.

I know LJ didn't recruit Kamar, Kelan, or McDermott, but they did vastly improve under the current coaching staff. I mean, who in the world would have thought McDermott would have played in the NBA when he was a freshman on campus? Did these guys achieve success because of the current staff or in spite of them? That I cannot answer.

Other current players on the team such as Golden, Nze, and Thompson may have just simply capped-out on their potential. Let's be honest, Nze and Golden flourished a few years ago mainly because of the attention defenses had to give the perimeter game that they simply don't have to give now.

What LJ has yet to do, however, is prove he can both recruit AND develop star talent. This group of young guys he has now will, in my opinion, serve as the ultimate test to his overall ability and longevity as a head coach. If these youngsters can improve over the next few years without the 5th year seniors taking all their playing time, Lavall will look a lot better in a lot of our eyes. (Everyone not tearing ACLs would also help, but that may be more a matter of prayer than coaching).

BNiche likes this.
  17. Robinzine Crying

Robinzine Crying Well-Known Member

Money:
    $704
    I expected more from Tucker today. Practically invisible.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops

18. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,002
    On the face, awesome! Every coach/team would celebrate this. Those of you analytics/data dudes, reconcile this with other interrelated data - off possessions, shot att/made, off rebounds, time of possession, etc … have fun

19. KCbufan21

KCbufan21 Member

Money:
    $46
    Even at full strength, I would be surprised if we finished outside the bottom 4 of the BE. Outside of Georgetown and maybe DePaul/Marquette, I can’t see who we finish higher then. Hope I’m wrong.

20. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,625
    Isn’t that the recruit who Tom Davis said wasn’t very smart because he was considering Wichita St?