Game Thread: Butler vs St. Francis (11/17)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by CarmelDawg23, Nov 17, 2022.

1. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,383
    Pretty impressive offensive line 70.4 fg, 53.3 3pt, 73.3 ft , 21 assists.

troggy, seadawg, jarik and 2 others like this.
  2. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $20,444
    I thought Butler had never played Penn State?

3. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,302
    This was their 4th meeting. First since 91-92 season.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  4. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,424
    Last year’s team wouldn’t have been able to put up 95 on a high school team. We won’t be great offensively, I don’t think, but it’s still light years better than a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

znelson15 likes this.
  5. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,424
    Up to 102. Where did we start? I believe we were 125th after the opener.

mwall787 likes this.
  6. dawgman

dawgman Active Member

Money:
    $229
    Any updates on our medical woes?

7. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,218

Hinkle and znelson15 like this.
  8. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,574
    I don’t see where some of you think we stand around and play one on one like the lavall days

To me the ball movement is light years better than last year and the fast pace is right up my alley.

We took care of another weaker opponent but did with authority.

Hoping the confidence builds and this team looks like the really enjoy playing with each other

Def worries me about our front court depth.

Tate and pierce thomas also got me pumped with some of their plays today

Oh also Harris is so good when he doesn’t have to be the main point guard

Those or my broken up short paragraph thoughts, go dawgs

9. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,217
    Very happy to see those seals, musta seen us discussing and made it his mission;)

10. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,086
    My only frustration right now is with the injury reporting, or lack there of. I don’t need (or want) to know anything personal, I would just a time frame of when each player may be back. Some one can’t be day to day for 2.5 weeks. Can’t we just get a time table for Wilmoth? Maybe tell us it’s a 3-4 week injury? On Ali Ali, can’t we know that he’s recovering from a major concussion and he’s doing well in his recovery (I realize a time table on this type of injury is hard to determine). Maybe this has been shared and I just haven’t seen it.

Playing wise, I have been impressed so far this season. The scoring is going to be a problem with this current group, I hope it gets better with Ali and Miles gets back. The defense has been really good and the hustle plays have been through the roof good. This team just plays harder. That’s going to win a couple games they maybe shouldn’t have won IMO.

11. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,875
    I think some frustration as fans too is butler teams of old, if we went on scoring droughts, we ramped up defensive intensity, which typically got us back on track offensively. I feel like over past few years when scoring droughts happen the defensive intensity drops. Feel I saw that against PSU and something that Thad and staff will have to work on with the non transfer guys.

12. DawgDude

DawgDude Active Member

Money:
    $342
    My frustration isn’t with the perimeter shooting . That will come around. Simas, Thomas, Harris and Hunter can get to the basket and their shots will begin falling. Those four are very good players. Where I get frustrated is our perimeter defense has been poor. We have a premier shot blocker in the paint which should allow us the luxury to guard aggressively at the arc. But we are soft on the perimeter. Thus we rank like 330 for three point defense.

13. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20,577
    You can tell that most of our players have never played with a big time shot blocker before. It definitely changes the approach defensively. Hopefully they get more comfortable with it as the season goes on.

DawgDude, troggy and seadawg like this.
  14. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $10,204
    Overall, this was an encouraging performance as this team continues to make progress. Still BU has plenty of room for improvement which is also a good sign. Aside from the injuries, the only concern moving forward, is will the progress continue? Certainly, there were some lapses both offensively and defensively, but they should be expected as the team grows. Tate showed poise with his play, which prior to last night looked lacking and out of place. Additionally, BU responded in positive manner when MB was saddled with foul trouble.

Tentozen likes this.
  15. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,239
    Right and they played twice that season.

16. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,239
    After 3 games, Butler is 80/123 or 65% on 2-point FG attempts.

17. DawgWild

DawgWild Active Member

Money:
    $251
    A better game for Hunter, but he really didn't look like he wanted to put up any three's... then finally he shot one and it went - BIG smile on his face...

18. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,037
    While as a very general matter 3 point attempts are more efficient basketball possessions than 2 point attempts, there’s obviously a line where teams can be so much better on a relative basis from 2 that threes are bad shots. Right now, butler is way past that point. You have to hit 44% from 3 for a 3 point attempt to be as good of a shot as a 2 when you’re shooting 65% from 2. Obviously they’re not close to 44% from 3, and they won’t ever be.

While some mean reversion in both directions - down for 2%, up for 3% - is inevitable, I do think it may be the case for this Butler team that 2s are better. Say they can shoot 55% from 2 on the year. (Very possible in my opinion given they were 54% from 2 in 2017-2018 and 53% from 2 in 2019-2020.) They’d have to shoot 37% from 3 to match that efficiency. They’re pretty unlikely to shoot 37% from 3.

A lower 3PA rate may make sense. I was glad to see them dial way back on the 3PA last night.

19. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,978
    Last night appeared to be one of those nights where the guys came out a little lackadaisical and allow a team that shouldn't stick with them to do so, and at times, that did happen. However, unlike last year (IUPUI, Troy, SVSU, EIU), this team appears to have the leadership at the player and coaching level to not let it persist. During one of the time outs you could see Matta just getting after the guys, and my thought was that we never really saw that kind of fire out of Coach Jordan. Not that he wouldn't ever get pumped up if the team was playing well (he did), but that if the team wasn't playing well, he didn't tend to challenge guys in the same manner that Matta does. Not that there's a single way to do it, but Matta's approach seems to work well when it's justified.

As others have said, I'm enjoying the process, though I don't think this is ultimately a team that gets to the tournament. Maybe that changes if they're at full strength and continue to develop as this group obviously has.

This team just plays harder. They don't always execute well (that amazing Pierce Thomas sequence started with a careless pass), and the effort isn't always consistent, but man, when it's there, it's a lot of fun to watch. This group isn't the same as previous Butler teams who were as tough as nails and would just wait for teams to beat themselves with their positioning on defense, but they can be just as tough, and they can actually force teams to make mistakes with their pressure. Looking forward to Saturday and what will hopefully be a good performance against a really good Tennessee team next week. Go Dawgs

troggy and SCbulldogsfan4life like this.
  20. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,022
    Obviously very early in the season but after 3 games Butler is shooting 52.4% overall from the floor which is tied for 20th in D-1. Last years team shot 41.6% ranking 301st overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops