Game Thread: Butler vs Tennessee (1/23) (Battle 4 Atlantis)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Albick, Nov 20, 2022.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,548
    Damn you get up early.

But to what you said-yep. And unfortunately it's starting to run through me like a bad flu-I'm beginning to not GAF. It used to be I'd make my schedule around Butler games and that was that. Now it's an afterthought. Last night for instance, in years past I would have shut down everything to be glued to a game like that-nope, I went to a local dive that was having $1 oysters and I had the guy throw it on the small tv near the bar. I watched, but I was more concerned on a good buzz and two dozen half shells.

I don't like that feeling. I am now glancing when it's convenient and mostly doing other things as the "priority" vs my normal routine of what, 25 years now? Granted life changes and so do priorities...but last night I was the one that pushed to go out...not say "honey, get me my 12 pack, my bourbon and let me watch the game."

With lowered expectations and the rinse/repeat from the last two years happening again, it's a shoulder shrug vs getting all wild and emotional about it. I still love my school and all...but the irrelevancy has trickled down into my attitude on it. Maybe some of that is age as well but, either way I hate the feeling.

I very much am happy to have Thad back. But right now it's just not good basketball. With that comes lowered expectations...and that brings a different attitude as a fan/alum.

2. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,123
    And of those 4, only one is a shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2xDawg likes this.
  3. Tentozen

Money:
    $2,123
    And almost half the turnovers (10), came from your best ball handlers and distributors, Simas and Hunter. Can’t have that happening.

2xDawg likes this.
  4. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,804
    My kids are 5 & 1. Sleep does not exist in my household.

5. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,803
    I guess the way I see it is this-

The first half was about all we could hope for in terms of defense, so that felt reminiscent of what we use to see out of Butler teams of old, however the offense was still clunky and the turnovers were unsettling considering the ones who committed them were suppose to be our best ball handlers. 22 turnovers will bury any team no matter how talented they are.

I was not encouraged by their performance last night, but 2 wins is still in play and they don't have what I call a bad loss - The season is not lost yet, they can still become a bubble team. I also try to keep in mind that they're down 3 rotation players, 2 of them are starters and they all happen to make up the core of the size they're lacking right now. We can talk about how taking Bates out of the game is the easy way to beat Butler, but ask any team at there to play without two of their starters and see how long they last before they suffer.

Last night sucked but let's see what a full roster looks like, for now I'm choosing to R-E-L-A-X.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  6. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member

Money:
    $884
    I concur with Hinkle. It was one game, an ugly one, but move on with a shooters mindset and forget the last one.

Some observations from the Ballroom;

1) As Hinkle mentioned, when Myles Tate entered the game, you knew the lead was going away.

2) Way too many stupid first half fouls by Bates, Simas and Harris that forced Hughes and Tate onto the floor.

3) Simas totally lost his composure in the first half when his passes were not met with cutting teammates. He has to mature.

4) When Butler had closed to within 2 with 17 to play in the second, they had TN on their heels as they were driving to the basket and picking up quick fouls on TN.

5) In the ensuing 4 mins, Butler could not get the lead back and lost focus on what appeared to be the second half strategy, going to the basket (based on first four possessions).

6) When Butler lost focus and patience at about the 13-12 min mark of the second, they reverted to last year's tendency, chuck up jumpers in a game in which they were cold from the outside.

7) When the jumper strategy took hold, TN was off to the races with long rebounds and breakouts. The game was over by the 10 min mark during the now infamous 17-1 run.

If this team continues a strategy based on outside jumpers, it will fail. This team must first establish 1) an inside game (hard to do with Bates in foul trouble in first half, 2) screens or pick/roles to the basket and 3) the rotation defense must be a LOT better to defend the 3.

Basketball is not rocket science. Butler got impatient/frustrated with not getting the lead back and resorted to offensive habits that must be eliminated for this team to succeed. Losing is not fun, but I am not so sure that Thad didn't use the last 10 mins of this game as an example of what this team cannot do to be successful.

Bring on the Cougars.

troggy, bwesson15, jeff and 5 others like this.
  7. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $20,443
    You got a woman. That’ll do it. No one expected that.

DawgsMD likes this.
  8. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,022
    At the moment as bad as last night was I think I’d be content getting out of Atlantis with 1 win.

2xDawg likes this.
  9. JMCBigWayne

JMCBigWayne Active Member

Money:
    $187
    Anyone know if you can record games on ESPN3? I’ll have to watch on delay after some thanksgiving festivities? Or does ESPN post an on demand version?

10. Deeser55

Deeser55 New Member VIP Member

Money:
    $21
    Understand the frustration but I think there is alot of PTSD showing up right now. We don't have all of the pieces yet and, until we have them, no one can project the success of this team. We have alot of guys playing out of position and logging way more minutes than they normally would. I saw a ton of energy and, in every game, I see a MUCH improved defensive team that forced 15 TOs. Improvement will happen in stages and the experience some of these guys are getting in a new system, with an excellent coaching staff, is invaluable. When everyone is back and we see what we really are, then we can talk about whether they are as frustrating as people are saying. It sucks getting our ass kicked but let's chill out on the over reaction.

11. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,384
    I agree with this. It’s been this way since the pandemic season for me. Like it’s more of a “put on in the background” activity at this point.

I think we’re significantly better than last year and actually don’t think we’re playing bad basketball as much as shooting badly. (last nights turnovers were bad basketball) But I was telling PSU last night that I can’t get as emotionally invested as I like to be.

willisbrown likes this.
  12. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,384
    Great points here. When we mess up now they’re aggressive mistakes for the most part, rather than literally doing nothing.

2xDawg and Deeser55 like this.
  13. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,079
    The second half was pretty disappointing.

What stung and hurt me the most was that I was out at a bar and overheard multiple casual fans say "remember when Butler was good?". It's too early to count this year out, but I was really hoping this would be the year that made us nationally relevant again.

DawgsMD likes this.
  14. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,302
    Agree. My biggest frustrations from last night were the unforced errors on offense, then the offensive struggles leading to lapses on the defensive end. Defense has to show up every night.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Deeser55 and 2xDawg like this.
  15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,037
    Not sure it’s some meaningful revelation to be less interested following the worst back to back seasons in nearly 20 years.

Winning will fix that. It’s an imperfect team, but they’re much better than they played last night, and the program is moving in the right direction.

ButlerProf, bwesson15, 2xDawg and 3 others like this.
  16. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,377
    Is anybody going to have room for turkey and dressing after all humble pie we ate last night?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

znelson15, tcdtcd, 2xDawg and 4 others like this.
  17. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,079
    People also need to remember that the score was 36-34 with under 14 minutes to go in the game against a top 10 team.

I was really expecting Eric Hunter to step up and have a big game last night in the lights. I hope he's just building some chemistry with the team and, in time, he'll be the offensive anchor that we need.

Tentozen and godogs91 like this.
  18. DawgDude

DawgDude Active Member

Money:
    $341
    Can’t find todays game on ESPN. Wonder after last nights **** show they decided to show Pickle-ball instead. Would not blame them. Unfair to BYU fans but merciful to Butler fans.

shoeevv likes this.
  19. Tentozen

Money:
    $2,123
    ESPN 3; was scheduled there all along.

DawgDude likes this.
  20. DawgDude

DawgDude Active Member

Money:
    $341
    I have spectrum which does not broadcast ESPN3 which is good that I won’t ruin my Thanksgiving watching this dumpster fire. I never learn that I need to move on as a fan.