Game Thread: Butler vs Tennessee (1/23) (Battle 4 Atlantis)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Albick, Nov 20, 2022.

1. DawgDude

DawgDude Active Member

Money:
    $342
    Hunter is a fifth year senior but doesn’t seem to be an on court leader. If Ali and Thomas aren’t back before conference starts we need to go with Turnbull to relieve Bates before DJ. Tate may be the same size as Baldwin but I knew Baldwin and Tate is not Baldwin.

2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,039
    I suppose it’s to be expected after a game gets out of hand like that, but man is this thread chock full of some crazy overreactions.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

troggy, jkcdawgs, dawgsrock and 8 others like this.
  3. DawgDude

DawgDude Active Member

Money:
    $342
    Maybe I’m overreacting but what this team showed last night was a mirror image of last year in Vegas yet with better talent. Yes we have four players out but we had players out last year.
    I’m beginning to believe only three of the four out on injury will be back and only one of those has the potential , on paper, to be a difference maker.

4. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,872
    I honestly found some more silver linings than most. I thought that for 2/3 of the game, they played damn good defense and frustrated the hell out of TN. They hustled to the ball, doubled well, recovered, etc. They just went cold from the floor and tried to overcompensate with poor shots.

I think if they play the defense they played last night and keep within the game plan, they’re going to win a decent amount of games and get into the bubble conversation. That TN team was just built to play the same type of game and wore Butler down.

I think we see a double-digit win tonight. Matta is too good of a coach to let them have last night’s game hang over the team. A Jordan team would fold like a chair these next two.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2xDawg likes this.
  5. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,217
    Thad said after the game they were suffering from “mental fatigue” which I take to mean in coach speak as unfocused/fragile. Not sure who has the ability to will this team to wins. Was hoping it would be Eric but don’t see it as yet. Losses over the past few years took a toll mentally. Guys need to commit to a new mindset and coaches have to help them build confidence. One tenet of the Butler Way is “seek improvement every day”. Thad acknowledged they took a step back last night. Hoping to see a improvement today. Go Dawgs!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

bumba and godogs91 like this.
  6. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,756
    100%. This team played DAMN good defense last night. Our switches on defense were crazy good for it being the 4th game of the season. Sure our offense is streaky but we KNEW that going into the season. FFS we really only have 5 players who can score offensively until Ali, Thomas, and Wilmoth get back. So when DJ, Pierce, and Tate are in, it’s incredibly hard to keep up with a team like Tenn.

DJ plays pretty good defense for his size and can rebound above his weight class
    Pierce plays GREAT opportunistic defense and rebounds great.
    Tate is still top trigger happy but he’s quick.
    Maybe 1 out of 3 will actually see the court on our healthy roster so the fact that they log 10-25 minutes each, of course we are going to struggle.

Also there will be teams who will shut down a player or 2 of ours. With our other role players back we can offset that a little bit. Not so with what is currently available.

Also don’t forget this staff is brand new and is still seeing how our players react to different situations. Yes some players reverted and Thad even admitted so in his post game interview. I’m confident this staff will find ways for this team to improve and score.

R-E-L-A-X. This team is miles better than last year. Still not where we need to be though.

jkcdawgs, bumba, SnoopDawg and 3 others like this.
  7. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,383
    Maybe it's a combination of my rose colored glasses but I think the early foul trouble along with the short bench made a big difference. Most of the 1st half was played without a legit big man. Luko looked frustrated playing the 4 and defending a bigger man and allowed it to lead to mistakes on the other end of the floor. Much of the second half was played with just 2 starters, and at least 2 of the 3 others wouldn't be seeing the floor if we were at full strenght. I like DJ but giving up 4 to 7 inches is a big task. We actually looked really good to start the game, it seemed to fall apart when the foul trouble started.

8. noltar

noltar Well-Known Member

Money:
    $896
    You can still stream espn3 with your Spectrum login on the espn app if you change your mind with the dumpster fire.

Gregory Roach likes this.
  9. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,334
    Makes a lot of sense. For the first 8 mins or so, they all seemed really locked-in. After that they seemed to revert to last year's team. It's gotta be hard keeping up that effort level as a team throughout an entire game, but that mental toughness and persistence is what defined our best teams historically and needs to start showing up again more consistently. If there's a silver lining here, it's that Thad will use this embarrassment as an opportunity to further instill the importance of staying locked-in physically and mentally.

BUcheer likes this.
  10. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,803
    "Matta is too good of a coach to let them have last night’s game hang over the team. A Jordan team would fold like a chair these next two."

This right here might be the biggest observation for the next game. Whether or not they're built to compete against quality competition at this moment is still to be seen, but now we get to see how they bounce back from a setback. Whenever LaVall's team would lose, their answer was to play the exact same way the next time out. I have to believe that Matta can get his team to bounce back better than that.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    SCbulldogsfan4life likes this.
  11. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,804
    If our offense didn’t look like dog crap anytime we play a halfway decent team I’d feel a lot better. I think this team has a lot more potential, and is better than last year’s.

I think one big thing is learning how to win. Like last night, Tennessee was begging us to run away with it in the first. And they were begging us to take the lead early in the 2nd. Yet once we get there we can’t get over the hump.

12. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,334
    It's important to remember that when we're talking about how horrible we are offensively against quality teams, we've only got 2 games to draw conclusions from. I would also argue that we looked much better offensively in the game against UT than we did against Penn St. For certain stretches of the UT game, the ball movement and offensive flow was much better than it was at any point during the Penn St game. Now it's just a matter of building the cohesion and mental toughness to play that way for a whole 40 mins. It's also a matter of getting our injured players back.

13. DawgDude

DawgDude Active Member

Money:
    $342
    Optimism is not proof. That was a horrible effort last night. They are that weak mentally? Huh?

14. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member

Money:
    $884
    Agreed.

Shooters mind set, move on. Pose under pressure is earned while you learn....and is not a trait that just happens. The team on the floor got frustrated, then stressed when the lead started expanding and they basically fell back into some really poor offensive habits from prior coaching staff. Let's see if they can learn adapt.

15. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,086
    Admittedly I didn’t get to watch last nights game, had a game ourselves. I recorded it but once I saw the score I didn’t bother.
    I am not discouraged at all to be honest. Thad inherited a team of roll players and backups. He brought in 4 new guys. Bates has been outstanding. Hunter is who I thought he would be, good not great, and The other 2 have yet to touch the floor so who knows. The bottom line is this team is handicapped by the lack of playmakers. This is why we look good in spurts and bad at other times.
    This entire year will be this way. This is not a tourney team unless they completely overachieve.
    What encourages me is they look like they play harder and with more energy. Thad will get this team playing the way he has always coaches, I don’t doubt that at all. The question is, will he be able to recruit the talent needed to compete to Butler. That is no easy job for anyone u get at Butler.

16. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,503
    So, here is some optimism upon reflection: last year against Houston and Michigan State, we were not competitive at any point. Last night I thought we could win for the first 25 minutes. Last year, we couldn't get the ball inside of the 3 point line. Last night we could not execute when we got inside of it. Like someone else said, I would rather see aggressive errors vs end of shot clock hot potato heaves (as a friend of mine called them last year).

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,009
    Just saying the Vols didn’t choke; the Gamecocks flat out throttled them last weekend

ButlerGoalie likes this.
  18. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,009
    Truth. Not to mention the strain on academics, overall first semester at a new university. Gotta be really tough for him. Wishing him rapid healing from here on out.

bumba likes this.
  19. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $20,444
    I swear guys I don’t know him off this site…

20. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,384
    Guys, Isn’t my best friend silly?