Game Thread: Butler vs The Citadel (11/19)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by noltar, Nov 19, 2022.

1. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,218
    Butler offensive statistics for the year for the team that can't shoot:
    2 pt-3 pt-FT
    Harris 71%-38%-93%
    Lukosius 60%-43%-0% (on 2 FTAs)
    Taylor 58%-29%-94%
    Hunter 55%-42%-50%
    Bates 74%-N/A-40% (2-5; how is it possible that Bates only has 5 FTAs?)
    Thomas 67%-50%-71%
    Hughes 72%-N/A-33%
    Tate 42%-14%-50%

Team 63%-37%-71%

All but Tate are shooting 55% or better on twos. 4 players are shooting 40% or higher on threes. Two players (the two who have shot the most free throws) are 93% and 94%, respectively, on free throws.

Amazingly balanced scoring among the starting five:
    Harris 15.8 ppg
    Taylor 14.8
    Lukosius 14.3
    Bates 13.5
    Hunter 12.5

It's nice to have a go-to player, but it does make it tough for an opponent to game plan to shut down one or two players with that kind of balance.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
  2. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $20,443
    Who is actually enjoying watching Butler now?!

No clue how many wins they get or what they ultimately achieve, but they are fun to watch again. Lavall’s last two teams were simply not fun to watch.

3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $10,204
    Regardless of the competition, BU showed a marked improvement in all phases of this game. Decision making especially. Making that extra pass had been an area of concern. This team is on the right track. BU could be scary once they return to full strength.

4. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,022
    Agree completely. I’ve been very entertained these last two games. Thrilled with the additions of Bates & Hunter. I think the coaching staff is doing a nice job of utilizing our players’ strengths.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

PSUButlerFan and joliebeth23 like this.
  5. joliebeth23

joliebeth23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,838
    So much fun to watch!

bu1973, Dawg2009 and PSUButlerFan like this.
  6. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,022
    I know The Citadel isn’t great but they played @ Clemson(currently #70 Kenpom) pretty tough trailing 70-64 with about 4 min to go before losing by 11.

Tentozen likes this.
  7. ButlerFan89

ButlerFan89 Active Member

Money:
    $308
    2 words. Finley Bizjack

cornette33 likes this.
  8. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,756
    First off great game all around. Really hard to complain about anything but I’m gonna do it anyway!! I really wish we would have fed Manny the ball more. 5 points is a travesty when he absolutely destroyed them on the defensive end. He had really good passes out of the post for some 3s. I really want him to succeed offensively and be dominant ala Sanogo.

It was obvious that citadel was playing pack it in defense to stop drives and manny which led to so many open 3s but we still have to feed it to him more than we did tonight.

Also, Simas only had 2 assists but he should have had many more! His teammates fumbles some of his passes or gave up a great shot.

Love this team!!

WestLoopDog likes this.
  9. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,791
    DaNaNaNa
    DaNaNaNa
    DaNaNaNa
    DaNaNaNa
    The Reflex
    FleFleFleFleFlex

The Hound likes this.
  10. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,037
    Some additional context around the absurdity of last night’s performance and margin:

The Citadel entered the game rated 251st in Pom (for context, there are 363 teams; New Orleans is 333rd). In the hundreds of games played by top 100 teams against teams in the top 275 this season, only on two other occasions have such teams lost by more 47 or more. One was by Houston - the best team in college basketball. And the other, somewhat ironically, was NC State, a team similarly well exceeding their preseason Pom projection so far and currently rated 68. (In NC State’s case, having an NBA lottery pick go off helps!)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    2xDawg likes this.
  11. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,803
    How much longer for Wilmoth to be out? Has PT passed him up in the rotation?

12. Albick

Money:
    $3,218
    I thought we played very well and I loved watching all three of our home games so far this year. Just a slight caveat on margins: I think they were artificially aided a bit by the fact that, due to injuries, we have virtually no end-of-bench players to put in late in the game. Other than Turnbull, all of our other healthy players are starters or rotation players. That said, three of our four injured players also should be starters or significant contributors when healthy. It will be interesting to see what the rotation looks like if/when we ever have 13 healthy bodies.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    SCbulldogsfan4life and Hinkle like this.
  13. Albick

Money:
    $3,218
    I don't think you significantly reduce PT's PT when Wilmoth returns given the way Thomas is playing. Now when Ali comes back . . .

cornette33 likes this.
  14. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $10,204
    No issues with the number of touches or entry passes for MB. This was a "pick your poison" situation and the competition made the decision to collapse on MB. BU did work the offense the inside out. As the level of competition increases other teams will face that choice with different strategy IMO. MB clearly has the ability to distribute the ball from the post.

15. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,502
    It was good for Manny to get exposed to the double. It caught him off guard early on even though he was able to get the ball back out. As the game went on, he seemed to know where to go with the pass to hit open guys or facilitate ball movement that led to great looks.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

godogs91 and seadawg like this.
  16. Jimmy Lafakis

Jimmy Lafakis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,196
    This is the luxury of having him on the interior. Shooters all around him and I saw pretty much everyone shoot with confidence last night off the crisp ball movement.

seadawg likes this.
  17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,037
    Pierce is second on the team in box plus minus and win shares. I’ll be sad if his playing time does anything but increase. The dude can play.

18. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,551
    He's also second on qualified players in PER...Here's what you need to know, when Pierce is in the game, the Dawgs are usually winning...

jkcdawgs, cornette33 and Albick like this.
  19. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,551
    Agreed, he had 4 assists and probably 10 hockey assists...He did exactly what he was supposed to do. Make good choices and put us in winning positions

20. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,756
    We are just so stacked at the 3/4

Taylor/Simas/Ali/Wilmoth/PThomas. All have 2-4 years of eligibility left. Traditionally I think Taylor/Thomas/Simas are all 3s and it’s just hard to find minutes for all of them. Good problem to have I guess but it’ll be interesting if any look for more minutes elsewhere if they keep up their productivity this year. There’s room at the 2 behind Harris I suppose.

We REALLY need to find another seasoned PG in the portal once Hunter leaves. Hopefully Tate is still finding his legs and getting jitters out but it’s been awesome to have a PG with offensive/defensive/passing abilities.

Carmel Caramels likes this.