Game Thread. BYU v Butler 1/24 Battle for Atlantis.

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by jeff, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member

Money:
    $884
    Some observations from the Ballroom.

1) Kudos to Coach Matta for taking a chance on playing Manny the last 4 mins of first half with 2 fouls. A fellow alumni followed Collier into the game and he indicated that Butler ranked in bottom 30 D-1 schools for using players with 2 fouls in the first half of games. It appears he/Matta had a chat.

2) Kudos to Connor for soldiering on for over 8 mins. Did he look like a freshman, of course. Was he uncertain of where to be on offense, of course. But the kid had two really impressive blocks and was effective (ish) at plugging the middle. He anchored the middle for 8 mins, look dead on his feet after 6 mins but hung in there. Proud of his effort. A huge learning experience for the kid,

3) Manny overcompensated in the second half and was too passive for about 15 mins. Fortunately he went for it down the stretch and played much more aggressively....while picking up two fouls and having the monster game winner jam.

4) The word must be out to put pressure and muscle on Harris. TN and now BYU both used lots of pressure, clutching, grabbing and hacking to wear down Harris. He has yet to respond well to this type of defense on him. Can he get over that hump? TBD.

5) Simas worked his ass off. Was it his most effective game? No. But without his effort, play making and free throws, this one goes into the L column. Hunter was passing off to Simas crossing the time line to start plays the last 8 mins of the game. I found that interesting and don't have an explanation for it.

6) Though Taylor had another stellar game (and his shot selection is improving...yet he still has never seen a shot he doesn't like) with his 20 points, the huge contribution was from Hunter who really stepped up. I looked up in the final two mins of the game and realized Hunter had 19 points and was amazed by his output.

7) As others have noted, the Dawgs were in "Gritty not Pretty" mode the middle 10 mins of the second half after the BYU 12-0 blitz. They had ever opportunity to lose patience and composure again. They didn't fold up this time. Matta called one time-out to slow the bleeding and then let them play through it and figure it out. Clearly they had discussed exactly this situation after the TN meltdown. The composure and comeback to take the lead were classic Butler.

Enough for now. We are off to the Lagoon and Pool until the Championship game and then Butler's 5th place game.

BTW, after the Butler Thanksgiving brunch we made the last 6 mins of regulation and OT between Kansas and Wisconsin. From our vantage point, the offensive rebound/basket with 1 second on the clock in OT was from a player that stepped out of bounds, then got the rebound basket. The Wisconsin fans are still very bitter. It helps to have that Jayhawk on the front of your Jersey....there are a million of them here.

jeff, Tentozen, bumba and 4 others like this.
  2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,037
    The OTO% and DR% have been terrible the last two games. The DR% gets fixed with no foul trouble and a healthy front court, so I’m less concerned about that deficiency.

Not sure what’s going on with the turnovers.

Tentozen and 2xDawg like this.
  3. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,218
    Per Kenpom, Butler's 2-foul participation percentage (through the BYU game) is 8.0% (269th overall).

2xDawg likes this.
  4. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member

Money:
    $884
    Thanks! Not quite as bad as Collier made out...still very conservative.

2xDawg likes this.
  5. Albick

Money:
    $3,218
    Butler scoring averages through 6 games:
    Taylor-16.2 ppg
    Hunter-12.8
    Lukosius-12.5
    Harris-12.2
    Bates-12.0

I'll admit that before the season I didn't expect that JT would be our leading scorer.

Shooting percentages (2s/3s/FTs):
    Taylor-61%/41%/88%
    Hunter-56%/40%/58%
    Lukosius-58%/42%/60%
    Harris-55%/32%/93%
    Bates-71%/na/44%

If we would finish the season with three of our starters shooting over 40% from three, I'd take that.

Effective FG%: 56.8% (29th overall)
    2-point FG %: 59.3% (19th)
    3-point FG %: 35.1% (121st)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    Tentozen, bumba, BoyGeoff and 5 others like this.
  6. Albick

Money:
    $3,218
    Collier's figure may have been right coming into the game. Those few minutes that Bates played late in the first half probably increased our 2-foul participation percentage and improved our overall ranking.

Tentozen, Gregory Roach and 2xDawg like this.
  7. Albick

Money:
    $3,218
    To give an idea of one way our offense has changed from last year, in the 2021-22 season, we had only two games in which there were 70 or more possessions--one was a 91-57 blowout by St. John's; the other was the overtime win against X in the BET. In 6 games this year, we already have had 4 games with 70 or more possessions. In the other two games, there were 68 and 69 possessions, respectively.

Average possession length last season: 19.4 (343rd); this season: 16.6 (113th).
    Adjusted tempo last season: 63.9 (334th); this season: 69.8 (128th).

8. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,548
    Good to see a solid win. Well, I didn't see it but it seems like it was a good thing. Hate how bad the depth though is. Glad it's 24+ hours to chill before next tip.

9. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,756
    I am very confused. I could have swore half the board last night said we suck, it’s the same team as last year, and we definitely ain’t dancing in March.

I’m messing with y’all but yeah tonight was a great bounce back after yesterday. I felt like we took very SMART shots for the most part which is 1 reason why our % was so high. Not only did players individually improve and show composure, I felt like the staff did as well! I loved that Thad put Bates back in the game in the 1H and then kept him in after the 4th. On the very next possession when the post player got the ball, he had the guards dig and double team the post on the catch to protect Manny. What Manny brings on offense was worth playing softer defense to keep him out of foul trouble so I’m not too concerned about the rebounding differential or the questionable post defense throughout the game.

The next 2 games will be tough for our guys to pull out (NC State is #59, Kansas State is #54 on KP) if we can get to conference play with a record of 8-3 without 25% of our team, I think that is best case scenario and puts us in a great position to dance come March. Let keep racking up some Q1/Q2 wins!

SCbulldogsfan4life and godogs91 like this.
  10. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,936
    I’m happy with the win and to see the adjustments coach made going into this game, but I honestly don’t think BYU is a tournament team from what I’ve seen, so I’m not so sure this was an indicator of Butler’s ability to compete this year. Next couple of games are huge. NC State has looked very good.

11. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,756
    BYU is picked 3rd in their conference (behind zags, and St Mary’s barely squeaked past them in voting). They’ve also made the tournament the last 3 years. But also this game was played without a bench and our starters being completely gassed after playing yesterday. We have arguably 30 points/game out with injuries PLUS Harris played like Doo Doo. With everything stacked against us, that was a damn good display of effort and resilience to pull out a W.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  12. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,875
    BYU made NIT last year. And would have made it three years ago if not cancelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20,577
    Shooting changes the entire perspective of the game. I actually feel like we got outplayed by BYU, but we shot well and they didn't. This felt like the inverse of the PSU game. I thought we outplayed them but just couldn't hit a shot. We aren't going to win many games turning the ball over 16 times and giving up 17 offensive rebounds. That has to be cleaned up. I still like what I'm seeing from this team. I think the biggest issues we have can be fixed by simply getting healthy (is that possible for Butler?).

14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,037
    100%.

I don’t think DR% will be an issue at all for this team when healthy, so it doesn’t bother me. Bad shooting is hard to remedy. Good to see it be substantially better overall the last few games.

The TO thing requires more work and attention and has got to get fixed, but I think it can be too.

15. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,574
    I think the turnovers will get fixed forsure

Takes time I think for these guards to adjust to the faster tempo which always leads the risk to more turnovers

The rebounding is what made me the most angry last night which from what I saw was the guards trying to run out a bit to fast after but shot the ball

Overall it’s def my style of basketball, and to me it looks like the players enjoy it more also

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,342
    Yes that. BYU has shot poorly from 3 all year. Even worse against us. I thought play was even overall with them having a decided advantage low post. That kid Traore was a beast down low. Hughes looked small by comparison and that is is saying something.

17. DawgDude

DawgDude Active Member

Money:
    $342
    Tough to not get out rebounded when your second tallest available player is 6’ 6””. A number of turnovers were caused by telegraphing, cross court passes, players cutting back door then stopping and not following through, not meeting the pass .

18. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,803
    Had to watch the game on replay today, I'll be very thankful for tonight's game being televised.

Based on what I saw, Butler is again relying on "Gritty not pretty" tactics to win games right now, only now they have a coaching staff that can better navigate them through it. Simply put, Butler is learning again how to play through adversity and should only get better with time, they've shown plenty of grit being short-handed, and finding a way to win even with all these turnovers is actually encouraging. It's already been mentioned, but making shots really makes all the difference, Taylor is starting to look like a go-to guy and Hunter FINALLY showed signs of his former self while at Purdue. Defense continues to be solid, they just need to be adequate on offense to have a chance.

Overall I'm very pleased with our effort, yes they got trounced by Tennessee but that was going to be a tough matchup anyway; I think Butler can be a different team come March, and now they have a chance to come out with wins against 2 teams with tourney capabilities. This is what we could've hoped for and so far we're getting it- This not a repeat oflast year, not yet anyway.

19. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,022
    BYU down 20 to Dayton late 1st half.

20. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,037
    And now leading with 2 mins to go.

mwall787 and znelson15 like this.