Garwey Dual - 2023 Combo Guard (Providence)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by bicknob, Jun 13, 2022.

1. bicknob

bicknob Active Member

Money:
    $243
    Let’s go! I’ve seen this kid play a few times and he’s impressed every time. Big guard with solid handle and finishing ability.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    bumba, znelson15 and 2xDawg like this.
  2. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,845
    I want him for the name alone.

troggy, 2xDawg and Tentozen like this.
  3. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,148
  4. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,935
    I have watched some live streaming HS games. Great offer simply because he has the ability to create opportunities for others and can finish with either hand. At 6'5", Dual appears to have the qualities of true combo guard.

bicknob likes this.
  5. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,522
    A Dual threat of sorts?

6. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,474
    So, we know that we have one open scholarship for next season, right? Eric Hunter's. I assume Malloy will not be encouraged to us his Covid year at Butler, so maybe two open scholies? Looks like they are targeting combo guards and wings. I'm sure there will be some natural movement as well.

znelson15 and TheDawgDub95 like this.
  7. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,319
  8. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,050
  9. 314Dawg

314Dawg Member

Money:
    $53
    How did we let him get out of Carmel? No offer from lavall and former staff?

znelson15 likes this.
  10. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,344
    Good question… makes you ask what the previous staff was doing

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,757
    He came off the bench for Carmel this year and only really blew up this spring. Providence offered barely a month ago. He’s been a super-quick riser. I don’t believe he had any D1 offers at the time Vall was fired (only Marian and UCCS). First high-major offer was in May.

12. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,183
    Meh. Yes, he's just up the road. But there are lots of good players out there. It's early. And BU has a first rate recruiter. Only issue I see is that he is going to Providence. And even at that, who knows how he'll develop in college. We're fine.

AZRPh and 2xDawg like this.
  13. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,319
    HEY NOW, he offered Jaxon Hayes first!

14. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,768
    Either he improved incredibly since the end of the high-school season or he must have been the greatest sixth man since John Havlicek . . . or at least Kelan Martin. Seriously, I get that Carmel was decent this year (although they lost to Westfield in the sectional), but how is it possible that a top 100 player in the nation wasn't a starter? Was this a tactical decision by the Carmel coach or did the coach really think he wasn't starting caliber?

15. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,383
    Carmel's coach is notorious for his style of play, it gives individual players very little chance to showcase their skills. It is very much a system and you better follow the system. It is definitely not in any way anything that resembles college ball or AAU or pro ball. It works at high school and they of course have some talent there but you will never see individual skill highlighted or showcased prominently

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,148
    Kinda like me at my job right now

Staxawax likes this.
  17. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,882
    He transferred to Carmel for his junior season from Houston. And definitely Carmel is a system and unlikely a kid who didn't come up through the ranks (Dad’s Club) was going to take minutes from seniors or established players. Plus sounds like he came on late. I do find it interesting he pulled for Providence so early in the process, so must be some backstory there—family, coaching staff, etc.

18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,348
    I wonder if Thad owns any of those white & black pimp tuxedos that Cooley wore at Hinkle a few years ago. Could be the missing piece to keeping these kids in state.

19. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,703
    That was 1) not a "pimp tuxedo" and 2) a dinner jacket. Using the adjective "pimp" to describe the sartorial choices of an African-American coach is fraught with implicit and explicit bias that I don't believe you intended. But it should be noted.

Now if he'd come out in a purple suit with fur trim and platform shoes, I'd have no qualms with your comment. But all he did was wear a classic dinner jacket, which may or may not be appropriate on the sideline of a basketball game. I think it's more appropriate than a sweatsuit, but I think that's just me these days.

2xDawg likes this.
  20. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,774
    Sometimes “pimp” in modern parlance refers to “sick”, “dope”, etc. I agree, likely a poor choice of words that someone in the public spotlight would get roasted for. I would tend to give benefit of doubt, though, but I’m not the one potentially being offended.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops