Georgetown Hoyas (3-6, 1-4) at Butler Bulldogs (1-3, 2-5), Wednesday, 1/6, 7:00 PM EST (FS1)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Jan 4, 2021.

1. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,582
    Georgetown beat St. John's in the first game of their doubleheader and has since lost to SJU, Seton Hall and Marquette. (Other loss was conference opener to Villanova)

Butler has also split it's doubleheader (beating Providence at Hinkle) and also lost to Seton Hall.

Two teams struggling to NOT be in last place in the conference, and Georgetown has won the last four straight at Hinkle.

Dawgs are showing some improvement with the Freshmen, but would be nice to have AT back and to see some spark from the Bryce's.

Geoffrey Bannister likes this.
  2. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,727
    Do we expect to hear something about Jakobe's evaluation today?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,518
    Need AT back ASAP. Without him, and we may already be able to, we can kiss any March aspirations away.

Dale Denton likes this.
  4. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,917
    I haven't heard anything nor have I asked. I anticipate media availability for this game will be sometime tomorrow (haven't received the email yet) and we will definitely ask about him, AT, and CD at that time.

cornette33 and ButlerNut like this.
  5. ButlerNut

Money:
    $7,582
    Prediction, "according to Butler, AT is a game time decision"

6. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,726
    Has anyone seen AT or JC at practice? Are they running, limping or just standing around? Thank you in advance.

7. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $3,917
    I do the best I can! I'm not great at this kind of stuff because I never know where the boundary is or how annoying I am being. Most of the info I do receive isn't because of me asking questions because I don't like prying/annoying too much. Trying to get better at this part of the "job" by asking around to guys bigger than me.

If I had to guess, and I admit this is going out on a limb a bit, I feel like AT plays and JC I have no idea.

8. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,688
    Prediction to be correct. That's all they ever say...that or "questionable". They are very good about talking and saying nothing.

I'm guessing both are still out and will be for awhile yet. Sigh...it what it is.

ButlerNut and Danville Bulldog like this.
  9. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $769
    Yeah, I actually laughed at David Woods' tweet about how Butler not revealing any information related to injuries, graduations or eligibility was not "The Butler Way". The secrecy with which the program regards even the most inane or mundane information, let alone something like injury or eligibility news has been the same ever since I became a fan. You literally get nothing of substance from them in a public setting, and anything you do get is usually in a giant word salad that basically is the same thing over and over.

It's actually pretty impressive that they stay on message and in that mode 24/7.

bmradio99 likes this.
  10. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,681
    You’re doing a great job as you are. They’re trying to not give you info, and they know no one is going to feel any pressure from their employer to ask, and fans don’t put any pressure on them. They have no recourse to not answering.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

IndieDawg, 2xDawg and SnoopDawg like this.
  11. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,459
    It's a little baffling to me why anyone would expect them to give out that kind of information before they have to. What possible benefit would it give Butler to announce early? Delaying these announcements frustrates the fans a bit, but, IMHO, that minor annoyance is more than offset by the competitive advantage gained by keeping the opponent guessing and causing them to have to spend valuable time preparing for multiple lineups, some of which they may never see.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    2xDawg and ButlerProf like this.
  12. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $858
    Why would we expect to hear anything? Butler makes Bill Belichick appear outgoing to the press.

13. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,681
    You don’t really prepare for different lineups in game prep. You spend 90% + of your time on how you’re going to defend whatever system/actions it is the opponents runs on offense, and sometimes a bit of how you are going to attack their defense, particularly if they do something weird like a zone or a matchup zone.

You’ll go over some personnel tendencies in film and with your position coach for whomever you’re likely to guard, then you’ll get a scouting report with some bullets about player tendencies.

Keeping them guessing makes the opponent spend probably like 5 minutes more discussing what you’ll do if so and so plays. For a guy like Aaron Thompson, it’s probably 30 seconds extra spent and you force your opponents to remember you’re going under every screen, closing out *very* short, helping off of him a ton and he likes to drive left. If you get beat, foul him. If you think you gain a tremendous advantage from forcing an opponent to learn that info, then sure. I don’t think you gain any much advantage at all.

On the flip side, they don’t *owe* us any information, but they actively mislead us, and then ask us for donations mid July if they haven’t seen them yet.

Again, they don’t owe us anything, but I don’t see how giving an actual, albeit general time frame of what to expect would be such a bad thing to feed to the people who feed you.

Dale Denton likes this.
  14. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,928
    Honestly the way it’s gone so far I expect AT, JC, & CD to still be out plus one of the remaining 6 rotation guys to be out as well.

2xDawg likes this.
  15. ButlerNut

Money:
    $7,582
    I hope you're right!

And that wasn't a statement about your ability to get us information. I think you do great. It was a statement about the tight-lipped nature of the program.

2xDawg likes this.
  16. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Active Member

Money:
    $381
    It was good to see Hastings get a bit of run on Saturday so we know what we can expect from him going forward. It appeared that he was *sort of* mobile. By that I mean he can close out and keep a guy in front of him for 2 dribbles. On offense I didn’t see a single thing that he brings. Finished the game with 1 Reb, 1 Ast, and a foul in 17 minutes. Meanwhile Wilmoth had 4 OReb, 3 Stl, and 3 points in 20 minutes.

Obviously SH had very mobile bigs who would eat JMM alive but does anyone know what Georgetown’s big men look like?

EDIT: it looks like they have two 7-foot Nigerians on their squad who are sophomores so we may see JMM a little more in his element?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  17. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $3,917
    LaVall did go a little more in-depth than normal today. I tweeted this out more with the best I could transcribe the quotes while he was talking.

AT - Still questionable and will be a GTD. I also asked about how impactful he has been for the young guards and LaVall was extremely complimentary of the work AT is doing despite not suiting up.

JC - Small meniscus tear, will be re-evaluated in a couple (3) weeks. *not* a rupture, and this does give at least a bit of timeline.

Both CDs: Doubtful to play but progressing and back to practicing full-go.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    bwesson15, seadawg and ButlerNut like this.
  18. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,909
    Yikes ! again and again...

19. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,688
    Well, we nailed the AT comments. The Coles things sucks...hell it all sucks. We are playing with 6 players. In the big east.

A couple weeks ago I was optimistic that AT would be back soon and before Coles went down, that maybe we can run and make a little respectable noise with a tight 8 man rotation. That hope has flown out a window and into an outhouse. Sigh...we need another postponement.

20. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Active Member

Money:
    $381
    3 weeks puts us almost to February. And that’s just a re-evaluation. I’m guessing he gets back middle/late February at the earliest due to reconditioning giving him about maybe 3-4 more regular season games. /sigh