Georgetown Hoyas (3-6, 1-4) at Butler Bulldogs (1-3, 2-5), Wednesday, 1/6, 7:00 PM EST (FS1)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,279
    Yeah, and we won.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

MSUDawg likes this.
  2. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,279
    I wonder if he was held out because of getting that technical for talking trash back and forth with Pinkett.

BoyGeoff and jeff like this.
  3. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,593
    Just finished game. I’m sure I’m gonna get abused for this...

JMM had a good defensive game. He was solid defending Wahab.

The Bryce’s looked better than they have all year. Still a lot of room to get back to last year...but a start.

Freshmen looked better tonight.

I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but did AT lead the team in points in the paint? That shouldn’t ever happen. But I’ll take it.

Finally, GT not that great. But the Dawgs didn’t let down and fought for the W. Holding them to 8 points in last 14 mins was impressive. Ending game on 10-0 run even better.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  4. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,525
    And covered!

GodawgsXsucks likes this.
  5. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $714
    Is that an Alice Cooper reference?

6. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,484
    Way to escape the dark side Markeese..... 4 pts, 7 boards, 2 steals !

7. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,690
    Had no idea wrote the song but yes that’s what It was referring to.

8. IndyHoop

IndyHoop New Member

Money:
    $12
    JMM was solid providing spot minutes on D and setting good screens. People need to realize he is essentially a 6’10” redshirt Freshman who wasn’t supposed to play last year. He did put on 25 pounds and is starting to fill out and hold his own against Big East 4-5s. He wasn’t recruited to play right away. The staff planned on him getting minutes as a redshirt sophomore in his 3rd year after NZE was gone. I’d say give him time.

If you ever pay attention to warm ups he can actually shoot better than any of the other Butler bigs from 3. When and if he does that in a game is yet to be seen. If he continues to add strength and becomes a solid defender at the 4/5 who can hit 35% from 3, rebound and make FTs he fits well with the team moving forward in his 3/4 and maybe 5th years. Big guys just take more time. It’s ok for Butler to have some players that need development.

johnhardingftw likes this.
  9. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $862
    I see your point here. He also had a great rebound toward the end of the game. Toughness on display. If we saw that consistently, then yes, it makes sense to start. If not, I’d prefer Tate start and Bolden come in as a sniper.

10. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,804
    Such quality analysis from this one throughout the thread.

11. BUdawgsfan04

BUdawgsfan04 Active Member

Money:
    $265
    By far the best performance by Hastings this year and jmm put forth a good effort that he did not hurt us. After the first half At provided the play and leadership that this team needed. Hoyas bailed us out with missing 18 of 19 shots at the end but a good win nevertheless. Watching the SH/Creighton game just reinforces how much size and athleticism we give up against the interior players in the BIg East

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg likes this.
  12. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,421
    Really nice win.

Anyone else get Jalen Brunson vibes watching AT in the post? Love him down there.

Chuck will make an all conference team at some point.

Hastings with a really solid game, looks like maybe he's starting to get a bit more comfortable.

The light fan environment is really interesting with all the different little things you can notice and hear. Can hear the conversations between players after a missed assignment and trying to figure out what happened. And there was a moment where one of the officials was yelling at a fan in the upper deck behind the basket after getting called out for missing the Georgetown player being OB on the baseline drive. As a fan I hate it because I miss the environment. But as a basketball geek, it's kinda cool with all the extra things you pick up on.

DawgPoundMac, troggy and godogs91 like this.
  13. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,484
    The Hoyas did not “bail us out” by missing all those shots. We did a much better job defending and closing out on shooters. Quit acting like this was a gift.

14. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,260
    Hastings clearly was a bear on the boards, I expect you will see some scoring out of him going forward. I hope David can get back on the court soon, I think he can also be a factor down the stretch. These guys will be a tough out by BE tournament time - would love to see them get a win or two in that circus...

15. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,356
    My takeaways:

1) Butler needs to figure out what is up with allowing these good 1st halves. I understand Georgetown is a 1st half team this year, but it hasn't been just this game.
    2) AT should be on the staff next year.
    3) Bolden is so much better with an experienced point guard - he is not the alpha out there and needs to be a "Robin" to the "Batman."
    4) Nze & Golden will benefit from the youngsters hitting more outside shots; that'll open the lane up a bit. They need to work on the dip move to go under the taller players. Use the chicken wing, they won't call it every time.
    5) JMM found his use - defending against not-so-mobile tall guys.
    6) Finding a way to grind out this win allows development from the underclassmen for the future. Losing breeds losing, so getting these wins here and there help immensely.
    7) If Scooby is better than Chuck, Myles x2, and JaKobe, um...well, we may eventually hang another banner. Remember the NCAA tournament is a guard/wing game.
    8) Getting CD back might be the difference between 6th and 10th in the Big East.

bwesson15, DawgsMD, BUcheer and 4 others like this.
  16. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $770
    Always happy for a win, and it looked like Nze and Golden may have started to gain some of their confidence back. Hopefully that can continue, because we aren't beating the good teams in the Big East without them.

Thompson is the reason IMO that they were able to pull off the win. He's not at 100% and has some rust to shake off, but simply having him on the floor calmed things down a lot on both ends. Harris was the only freshman doing well on the offensive end, but I thought he and Tate were improved on the defensive end, which is encouraging. Hopefully Tate can settle into his role off the bench, because having some scoring off the bench will really help going forward.

I did think Hastings and JMM played well enough, which is good to see. Would be nice if the team was better at finishing around the rim, but I did think they defended the paint better.

Fully expect to take the L on Saturday against UConn, but hopefully the team keeps improving.

17. ButlerNut

Money:
    $7,593
    When Golden was shooting his free throws with 4 seconds go to, I kind of hoped both of the CD's would get in the game. I know it would be more symbolic, but just to get them in a game at home after all they had been through.

18. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,186
    I’m thinking we won’t see David until Creighton (1/16). He just started 5-on-5 a couple days ago.

19. ButlerNut

Money:
    $7,593
    I just thought with 4 seconds and a game completely wrapped up, just to get on the court and even just stand there would have been good for him at a home game.

20. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,870
    Wait, when did this happen?
    I was watching at a brewery without volume

willisbrown likes this.