Georgetown Hoyas (5-10, 3-7) vs Butler Bulldogs (7-10, 6-8), Saturday, 2/13, 1:30 PM EST (CBSSN)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 10, 2021.

1. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,187
    Dawgs coming off an impressive come from behind victory over St. John's, ending the Johnnies 6 game winning streak. As usual, Dawgs got into a double digit hole before righting the ship and coming away with a victory in OT.

Next up, Dawgs try to make it three wins in a row and head to DC to take on the Hoyas.

For the last four years, these teams have split the BEast matchups, with each winning the away game. This year, the Dawgs already beat Georgetown in Hinkle. Can this be the year that the Dawgs actually sweep the Hoyas? Last time that happened was the 15-16 season.

Hoyas won at Creighton (Dawgs should watch that game film) before losing at Nova and losing the rematch with Creighton last night.

Dawgs need to come out with another solid effort from AT as the leader (Congrats on the Double Double last night) and hopefully shoot better than 25% from 3.

GoDawgs!

jeff and TheDawgDub95 like this.
  2. CMG

CMG Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $233
    Georgetown does not force turnovers or draw many fouls. Neither team gives up many offensive rebounds, but Gtown does pull down a lot.
    Obviously they play a little faster than Butler and shoot freethrows better....who doesn't?
    Nze/Golden v. Wahab/Ighoefe matchup will be the one I am watching, with the goal to be getting Wahab away from the rim, as he blocks more shots than almost anyone in the Big East.

Gtown Starting Freshman G Dante Harris is having some ups and downs, plays mostly as a gunner/turnover machine, but seems to be the barometer.
    If he plays well they usually win. If he has a "inconsistent freshman" game they usually lose.

In the first game:
    Butler got down 17-3, but ended the game on a 10-0 run.
    Georgetown score 7 points in the last 10 minutes of the game.
    Georgetown shot 43% from 3.
    Butler had 6 turnovers.
    JMM and Hastings played a combined 26 minutes.

jarik, troggy, ButlerNut and 2 others like this.
  3. Graves4

Graves4 Member

Money:
    $44
    I think the Dawgs will win. Georgetown always plays us hard, but I have faith in Butler. I'm very impressed by how LJ has turned this team around. St. John's didn't lose that game last night, Butler won it! The schedule is tough, but I expect this team to go over .500 the rest of this season. Last night was the start to something special. Next season is going to be one dandy.

Note to Collier: make sure you secure LJ for the long-term. We're starting to see his skills as a HC. He will be a hot commodity in the next 2-3 years. Don't let him leave to go to a Duke or take an NBA job.

4. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,712
    Duke? You have some freezing cold inside take? I think LJ is improving, but the road is long.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,362
    Speaking of locking up LJ (I don't think he's that hot of a name, but whatever)...I was listening to him on Dakich today when I took a break and kinda dozed off towards the end. When I came to Dakich was taking calls and an IU dude called in, very passionate that LaVall was the perfect fit to be the next IU coach. Went on and on about how much he loved him. It was weird...finally Dakich chimed in with "why?" and even though I don't like Dakich, I giggled.

6. ButlerNut

Money:
    $8,187
    I believe this "new" member is another attempt at attention from a different member...and the entire post was "opposite" day from what that poster normally says

7. Dale Denton

Dale Denton Member

Money:
    $77
    I understand there are some diehards on this board that have blinders on and find it to be a moral sin to criticize the players, the coaches, the concession workers, the janitors, or anyone associated with Butler and the basketball team (NCJon, pjohnsto2003, estar20dawg, dawgs2014, ignatius j. reilly, ButlerNut and the rest of the "well-know members" that post and live on this board 365 days out of the year, yes I'm speaking to you)... but seriously are you delusional? St. John's absolutely did lose that game. They blew a 16 point lead! And then at the end of the game all they had to do was inbound the ball and hit a free throw or 2 and Butler was toast.

In 3-5 years. Kampen will be coaching high school in Muncie. LaVall and Omar will be assistants else where. Mark my words, this staff will NEVER have Butler close to competing for a national championship. Posters on here can argue and say I'm wrong, but LaVall Jordan is an average coach, AT BEST. He doesn't make players better, he doesn't get the most out of his team. He can recruit good players and put together a quality team, but he can't lead a team like the best (i.e. Tony Bennet, Jay Wright, Chris Holtmann, Mike Krzyzewski, Roy Williams, etc.). And anyone who wants to argue with me, well then, when, and yes it's when, LaVall gets fired you should have to delete your accounts permanently. That should be your punishment for being a fool and posting nothing but nonsense.

It blows my mind Butler lucks out and wins a game they had no business winning and people on this board start becoming a little too optimistic. Yes, AT played well last night, but please answer me this "what aspect of his offensive game has progressed and improved since stepping on campus?". Has he a added a 3 point shot like Matt Howard did his senior year? Has he improved at the guard position like AJ and Barlow did over the course of their careers? Has he improved as a free-throw shooter? Because I see a pretty similar player. Yet, I've been told LaVall is good developmental coach.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  8. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,547
    I do think LJ is growing and you can see it. I'd like to see JMM get some minutes against Georgetown's bigs. Didn't he have a decent defensive game against them?

IndieDawg likes this.
  9. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,314
    Do you have a car? If so, last time you went car shopping did you stop at the Mazzerati, Lamborghini and Ferrari dealerships? If not, why buy a waste of a car when there’s something cooler out there?

Obviously there are better coaches than Lavall out there, and if we had the money to pay for whatever we wanted, we’d have one. The debate over whether or not we have the best coach money can buy is just stupid. The right question, like the reason you didn’t buy a $300,000 car is do we have the best that *our* money can buy.

If Lavall can recruit good players and is an average game coach-as you give him credit for-mathematically he is already a solidly above average coach. *Most* programs then don’t have and would like to have a guy like Lavall. Again, these are your words, not mine .

Whether he’s the best we can do is fair debate.

Re: Aaron Thompson-No, he hasn’t added a 3 point shot. No he hasn’t improved as a three point shooter. But fortunately those aren’t the only way a player can improve. He has improved his assists per game by 30%, and increased his scoring by nearly 300% from when he was a freshman. Despite the significantly increased usage, he’s done all of this at a significantly more efficient rate than 3 years ago. Not only is your claim logically deficient, it’s objectively and verifiably false.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

SnoopDawg, troggy, 2xDawg and 4 others like this.
  10. Al_

Al_ Member

Money:
    $62
    My frat has started a GoFundMe page to put pressure on Barry to fire LaVall. I’ll send the link out if anyone is interested in contributing. Go Dawgs!

11. dawgs2014

Money:
    $6,314
    Please do share such a link.

12. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,303
    Well Providence just blasted UCONN, so UCONN is now at .500 along with St Johns. The Dawgs have a chance at 5th in this dog race if they play their asses off.

13. Al_

Al_ Member

Money:
    $62
    JMM wasn’t even the best player on his high school team at Carmel. He doesn’t need to get more minutes on the floor, he needs to have his scholarship pulled and sent packing. He is even worse than David if that is possible.

14. dawgs2014

Money:
    $6,314
    Link. Now.

15. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,549
    Hit me, or any else of us, up when you finish up with your warm vinegar and water bath. You’re a complete douche and are putting words in our mouths that were never spoken.

16. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,455
    I really should have just left the ignore running, but no, I had to see the stupid for myself. :eek:

troggy, bwesson15, 2xDawg and 10 others like this.
  17. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

I do think it is funny that people are rating coaches like McDermott, Wojo, Willard, Cooley as way better than LaVall. Go back and look at their records, especially in the tourney.

The opinion has to be:

"It is either Butler doesn't have enough "Big East" talent, which would mean LaVall is a great x and o's coach to win with less."

Especially people that think Wojo is a good coach, but he is a great recruiter and poor coach, not growing his players in his system (see Hauser and other transfers) hence his results.

OR

LaVall is such a bad coach, he is a great recruiter which covers up his flaws as an x and o's guy.

It can't be both because look at LaVall's record at Butler year to year.

Butler Basketball is different, and different is what makes them a special team each year.

Have some loyalty and respect for LaVall Jordan and Butler Basketball. Once Butler loses that "different", Butler will become just another average or less major conference team.

Because the same people will despise him for his lack of loyalty, if he ever takes another job. Loyalty goes both ways.

18. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,547
    Saaaaame.

19. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,546
    Yes don't know how I got lumped into this lol. These Xavier trolls really have too much time on their hands

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg likes this.
  20. ButlerNut

Money:
    $8,187
    It appears the troll forgot to change his user name back before going on another delusional tirade.

Hint - if this team and this board make you so unhappy, don’t show up.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

bwesson15, godogs91 and 2xDawg like this.