Georgetown Hoyas (5-10, 3-7) vs Butler Bulldogs (7-10, 6-8), Saturday, 2/13, 1:30 PM EST (CBSSN)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 10, 2021.

1. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,517
    Synergy doesn’t have lineup or efficiency stats. It’s a totally valid question.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,771
    I will never understand why we're so terrible on the road under LJ. Felt like we were playing at half-speed for most of the game. The early first-half turnovers were unacceptable. So loose and careless with the ball. And sure would like to know why Wilmoth is seemingly in the doghouse. Couldn't have hurt to see if his length could have helped us more.

3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,538
    Nze with a groin issue. That's why he didn't play much second half.

He must have pulled it missing one of his bunnies.

4. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,887
    The next game (Wed vs Marquette at home) is the only winnable game the rest of the year, and I’m not confident they’ll do it. I knew this season would be bad, but don’t think I was prepared for as many completely lackluster minutes of gameplay like today as there have been.

Kinda mad I wasted a good afternoon beer (Alesmith speedway stout) on this game.

5. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,538
    It didn't "feel" like we were playing half speed, we were playing half speed. If that even.

One thing I never (we never) had to worry about under Brad and Holt was effort. Sure there were bad games but damn none of that had to do with a lack of effort and focus. It happens too much under LaVall, and has been that way for 4 years now. I guess it's just something we have to live with because it ain't changing. Which is a true shame for a program that built itself on toughness and effort.

burns likes this.
  6. Graves4

Graves4 Member

Money:
    $44
    This has been a really tough season for the players and coaches because of covid-19. I am still very optimistic that LJ is the guy to lead this program to national prominence. I watched OSU play before the Butler game . They beat IU by a lot. God I miss Holt.

2xDawg likes this.
  7. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,760
    And one of the worst coached game, as well. I'm disgusted.

8. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,538
    There was a chance to really keep the momentum going today and completely a dud. Too many efforts like that this year I agree. Same with a couple years ago and a few times in 2017-2018. Will it ever change? I'm not so sure.

I wasted trying the new chicken sandwich this afternoon from Zaxby's. Not quite Popeye's good, but it's close. I enjoyed it.

9. Bernie44

Bernie44 Member

Money:
    $182
    There are times when players need a complete ass chewing on the sidelines. Many times today, this was one of those times. Unfortunately, it is not in the makeup of our coaching staff.

10. BigHoss

BigHoss Active Member

Money:
    $434
    Serious question: what’s the plan with the assistant staff moving forward?

We’re still down a coach compared to last year right? If I’m thinking right, Vergollo took Meyer’s spot, but no one took Vergollo’s spot. Is this just temporary? I’d surely hope so.

If we are looking to bring in a new assistant coach, it will be a very important hire for LaVall. Curious to see what direction they go.

Al_ likes this.
  11. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,760
    LVJ and the coaching staff are the ones who need to be chewed out. Trotting out the same lineup to start the game and second half is simply asinine. What could they be thinking?

12. dawgs2014

Money:
    $6,517
    The play on the floor sucked today. No two ways about it. The coaching sucked too.

What sucked more is multiple people here on this board. The criticism of Lavall’s shirt is pro-racism. There is no way to argue it’s not.

We have a sport that is, what, 75% minority? Yet out of 357 teams, we only have enough minority head coaches to fit legibly on the back of a tee shirt? That in itself demonstrates that there is still inequality in the sport. The front of the shirt honored someone who not only overcame more stark inequality, but thrived despite it. Lavall wore this shirt, not in some random game, but at the first game at the former team of the person who he is honoring, against a close friend of the person he is honoring.

To suggest that you’re fine with promotion of equality if it promotes action is just a garbage, ignorant take. How does honoring a person who should be a legend require conditions.

On Monday most people have a day off of work to honor two presidents. We are not asking people to take any action, it’s just commemorative. We don’t place conditions on that-so why is it that when a black person honors another black person it suddenly becomes “political and controversial”?

Furthermore-given the racial disparity in coaching and at the head coaching position, how is it not promoting action to honor the accomplishment of those who have made it to the position of head coach. How is signaling to the minority community that despite the challenges, ascension to that position is attainable something we view as non actionable? For a community that sees so few of their own type in positions of leadership, and authority-highlighting the ones who have made it *is* action.

I’m pleased with how many people did call out the posts here as what they are, racist.

13. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $813
    This needs to be posted on every players locker.

BigHoss likes this.
  14. dawgs2014

Money:
    $6,517
    If I’m a coach I really prefer my players not care what Dan Dakich’s opinion is.

bmradio99 and 2xDawg like this.
  15. Al_

Al_ Member

Money:
    $62
    It wouldn’t matter. This team doesn’t have the talent and has checked out. This is all on LaVall and the coaching staff. May as well bring back AARP Jeff Meyer. Maybe at the next home game he can circle the court at the beginning of the game in his Cougar 9000 and wave to everyone. Now that’s motivation!

16. WDLTH

WDLTH Member VIP Member

Money:
    $79
    No. We brought in one of Beilein's assistants (with UM and Cavs) as interim DOBO.
    https://butlersports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=3144

17. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,538
    It seemed that AT had a pretty non existent game today? After what was one of his better (if not best) games at Butler, he was fairly terrible from what I saw. Then again so was everyone. But it's tough to see him not being able to rise above as the leader of the team and get them into action. Sigh...this was simply a dud all around but I expect more from AT. Especially after he owned SJU the other night.

Tentozen likes this.
  18. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,925
    No excuse for today’s performance. But for those who think humiliating blowouts only have happened under Vall: I sat through a miserable blowout at SLU (BU ranked #9) in Brad’s final season. It was brutal and the dawgs completely checked out. I know Vall hasn’t earned the pass yet—but it even happens to guys like Brad.

19. BigHoss

BigHoss Active Member

Money:
    $434
    Correct. He took Crone’s place.

Vergollo took Meyer’s old position.

But no one has taken Vergollo’s old spot.

20. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $18,612
    He did have 11 assists, but I didn't like the way he attacked the rim. He passed up a lot of shots in the paint and was clearly only looking to past. I like the aggressive AT that can finish well at the rim. He's one of the guys that needs to put this team on his back and command the game when they are struggling to get buckets.