Georgetown Hoyas (5-10, 3-7) vs Butler Bulldogs (7-10, 6-8), Saturday, 2/13, 1:30 PM EST (CBSSN)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,370
    There have been a few games lately where he seems really listless. 5 bad turnovers, and only took 2 shots. They have to have good games and leadership from him to have any kind of chance in most of these games.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,370
    A lot of those assists were once the game was no longer in doubt, and Georgetown had relaxed.

willisbrown and Bernie44 like this.
  3. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,771
    "I'm not saying get rid of L.J...." is frequently invoked in posts here. IMO, the only plausible reasons that L.J. MAYBE should stay are because 1) Butler needs some stability at head coach, and 2) he is somewhat of an effective recruiter. After this season we'll see how effective are his retention skills. But unless there is some kind of coaching addition to the bench before next season of someone who can take over game planning and strategizing and teaching basic fundamentals and game management, then L.J. needs to go, and now. He's not a D-1 head coach. L.J. has spent his entire adult life in major D-1 basketball. The "lacking experience" excuse is laughable. And he's not going to experience some kind of coaching epiphany either. After all, what is happening on the court is simply a lack of effort, and nothing to do with him, at least according to L.J. He's not changing. Why should he? His teams are undisciplined and lack effort and are fundamentally lacking and inept. Either get him help (and closet some of his responsibilities) before next year or get rid of him. Even an improvement in talent won't overcome his obvious head coaching ineptitude.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  4. Dale Denton

Dale Denton Member

Money:
    $77
    I still can’t believe they lost by 15 points to a team that committed 23 turnovers. What an embarrassment.

Haha that is actually awful.

5. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,923
    I have no idea if this is accurate, but it feels like we played better when Tate & Harris were the backcourt starters.

Then AT, Hodges & David come back and we're playing worse overall as a team. Am I dreaming?

6. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,756
    You aren't dreaming ... Please send email or call LVJ or one his assistants. Tell them we are sick and tired of the stale starting lineup and the hole we dig every game. Tell them LVJ has let us down. Why blame the players when bad coaching and game planning are on display? Tell them this game was a disgrace. Thank you in advance.

7. Bernie44

Bernie44 Member

Money:
    $179
    We don't have the skilled offensive players to continue to run our "sets" like last year...walk the ball up the court, go side to side until about 8 seconds left on shot clock, then have someone who is starting 30' from the basket try to dribble his way to a shot. Kamar could do this (and was exceptionally good at it) but we don't have that person this year. Our offense looks better when we play quicker, cut to the basket (not away), pass the ball with less dribbling. This will free up our catch and shoot shooters like Bolden. Would be nice to see Wilmoth get some more PT (don't know why he has been relegated to mop up minutes) as he could provide some much needed offensive rebounding.

Tentozen likes this.
  8. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,856
    You’ve just described the sort of basketball that I don’t enjoy. I don’t care if we have the personnel to make it work (Kamar). I’d rather see crisp motion and more set plays designed to our strengths.

2xDawg, seadawg and DawgPoundMac like this.
  9. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,172
    As dismal as this game was to watch, a shake up is certainly merited. This lackluster performance was unacceptable by any standards. The coaching staff has to recognize that. There are many adjectives to describe what we observed yesterday. Structured, disciplined or toughness were not among those.

Tentozen and DawgPoundMac like this.
  10. Al_

Al_ Member

Money:
    $62
    I vote for getting rid of him. Some individuals are cut out to be head coaches while others are cut out to be assistants. LaVall is a perfect example of the Peter Principle. He is in over his head as a head coach. He lacks the abilities, skills and basketball smarts to be a head coach of a D1 college basketball program. LaVall is better suited off in the role of an assistant coach with a focus on recruiting players. John Beilein recognized this while LaVall was an assistant at Michigan. Barry needs to cut his losses and get rid of LaVall sooner than later.

11. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,317
    I enjoy this guy supporting his argument by claiming that Beilein recognized Lavall’s limitations as if not replacing HIS OWN JOB with Lavall was some kind of commentary on Lavall’s ability.

jeff and PSUButlerFan like this.
  12. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,843
    Gottlieb sucks, but yet another point about surrounding yourself with great assistants:

willisbrown likes this.
  13. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $894
    It's not hard to see why he was so angry about this.

He also had this gem earlier in the day:

After the 1st half I stopped watching for the most part. Enjoyed the day with the kiddos. No use getting angry about things you can't control.

2xDawg likes this.