Happy Bulldog Birthday To.....

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Mar 30, 2021.

1. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $577
    Our garbage social media accounts.

If you happen to have social media, you are well aware that we’ve moved squarely into the “Happy Birthday” season of the Butler Basketball “Twitter” account.

Personally, I don’t “do” twitter, but I access my buddy Chet’s wife’s “twitter” account on a regular basis. Every time I log in, I’m appalled at our lack of a presence on Twitter. To be frank, I’ve seen high school JV teams have better social media accounts than the Butler Bulldogs do.

I am not trying to claim that we would have 5 stars lining up to join the program if we had a better Twitter page, but I AM saying that marketing our product via social media is a vital part of any program in this day and age, and we are doing an AWFUL job.

Hand the keys over to Willis for some dive bar oysters and hot takes. Let Dawgs2014 give us a deep dive on the KenPom numbers and why we should be excited next year. Do SOMETHING! Have an identity! For reference, take a look at Purdue’s account and video production throughout the year. We are so, SO far behind.

Perhaps I’m just starved for content. Maybe I care TOO much. But I feel confident that we could put a hot dog machine in charge of the Twitter account , and it would produce better content than we are currently getting. Sad!!

Stop acting like a D3 program and hire some student content creators and make your social media presence a positive!

2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,502
    100% agree. Our social media situation is absolute trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

BigHoss likes this.
  3. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,337
    Yup....no devoted graphic design intern...no social media intern. We’re running Twitter and Instagram like it’s 2011. Been on this for years, we should meet for drinks. I’m sure we’d fix the program overnight...only halfway joking.

It’s just pure laziness on the Athletic Department’s end.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    dawgs2014 and BigHoss like this.
  4. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,502
    It’s part complacency but I’d suspect it’s also part money, I just don’t think they think they can afford a social media team.

Of course all big ten schools have like 3-10 people doing that so it’s not like a luxury but commonplace, but as you said, they run it like it’s 2011.

5. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,337
    Pay? Get some students to do it. Hell, most professional club/team accounts are run by some 23-year-old intern.

6. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,502
    I think you probably need at least one full time person directing it so that the personality doesn’t change every semester

7. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $577
    Yes. Hire a director then get some "interns" to work under that person. Send some kids in with cameras for practices, interview kids, get their stories, and actually promote them. Get people interested in the players and the program!

And make it part of a class. It's the world we live in. Feel like it'd be a great resume builder to say you played a part in Butler Basketball's social media presence if it was well run.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  8. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,502
    I’m kinda stunned it’s not a class already. Social media is as important a part of communications as there is and we have the chance to let kids actually do that. Hell-we let kids manage part of the endowment, surely we can offer something similar in CCOM.

9. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,116
    Our mascot has the best Twitter account of anybody related to Butler University.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

@theButlerBlue

#60, Shimmy, tlp63 and 4 others like this.
  10. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,502
    No way, didn’t know he was on Twitter!

11. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,510
    I think that is the most damning part. Clearly Butler as an institution knows and sees the value of having an A+ social media presence. But for whatever reason they haven't put that same effort into non-mascot programs.

I had hope when LaVall was first hired and we were getting those short practice clips getting posted all summer, but then it all just kind of disappeared.

The Business school is all about "Real Life, Real Business" and is involved in working with a number of local businesses through classes and internships, there's 0 reason they shouldn't be partnering internally to help the university and give some resume worthy work and experience to students.

ButlerProf likes this.
  12. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,502
    Yes-actually have had this talk with a friend. They have experiencing running an elite level popularity social media account, but it doesn’t reflect elsewhere.

In the athletic department they seem to treat social media as almost a means of disseminating press releases and similar content. As I think it was you who said it, that’s very 2011.

Giving some personality to the brand, hopefully with our players’ personality leading the way, is a GREAT way to advertise what the Butler program is about. That doesn’t even mention that it helps fans feel more connected which means they spend more money.

13. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,218
    I was fortunate to attend several NCAA games at Hinkle and was stunned by the number of programs that had videographers. They appeared to be college aged but not certain. For a time, Butler had a talented student videographer named Matt Michel but then graduated and went to work for Tupelo who does the BU production. Not sure he’s been replaced.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  14. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,502
    Professional Matt replaced Student Matt doing this stuff except he probably gets less leeway.

Matt really is so talented.

15. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,218
    Ah, that makes sense. I’ve seen Matt filming but if no dedicated student then less content.

16. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,502
    Also another thing about this is that John Dedman, the sports information director, has a spectacular personality and is hilarious on Twitter. So like the guy who does pr for them is also perfect for what they’re looking for.

17. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,502
    I just talked to Matt and he said they actually do have a student doing their graphic design and social media graphics who is really good.

18. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,147
    This sounds like an excellent opportunity for some of you to endow a social media team/program for athletics.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

NCJon likes this.