Hark's Bark Mailbags

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Lukas Harkins, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,578
    Coverage question: As the offseason progresses, there are bound to be more offers that come out. Recently, I have been waiting to write about offers until I talk to the prospect for an interview, but would you rather have two articles per offer?

I can do a quick write-up on the offer if desired and then also get my interview-based piece up once I get on the phone with the offeree. I talk to >90% of offerees so I'm usually not missing anyone (still working on a time for Cord and I to chat, but that's the only one I'm behind on). Just wanted to gauge your guys' thoughts on whether or not you would want two pieces per offer? I can probably get out more diversified content if I stick with my current plan but readers' opinions matter and I want to know what you want to read.

Additionally, I have a plan for my offseason coverage regarding the 2021-22 season already, but if you guys have preferences regarding recruiting pieces that you want to see, let me know. I'm very active in Butler recruiting but not sure exactly what people would want to read about. Currently sticking with interview-based articles post-offer and recruiting board updates (plus camp was a blast to write about/connect with prospects after), but I'm happy to add anything else to the rotation.

Also, if you guys are interested in this, I'd be happy to do so once my fiancee and I get it fully set up, but there would be absolutely no pressure for anyone to get us anything. I never and will never expect anyone to get me/us anything; I just appreciate all of your support/reading.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    mwall787, #60, godogs91 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,191
    You should absolutely post your registry here.

mwall787, #60, DawgsMD and 1 other person like this.
  3. ChiDawg3

ChiDawg3 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $575

Lukas, I for one would love even a short write-up on the offeree with a link to a highlight video when he first received the offer. This will capitalize on the excitement and the timeliness of the offer for both the recruit and the fan base.

Thank you for all your hard work keeping us informed!

#60, godogs91, Tentozen and 2 others like this.
  4. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $4,578
    Alright, I'll start doing this moving forward. I won't do the guys from this weekend because I already have interviews lined up and it's been a day or two for each, but I'll hit the future ones. I'll try to be as on top of it as I can be, but tweeting is easier than writing/being around to publish, so they might come a few hours late sometimes.

ChiDawg3 and 2xDawg like this.
  5. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,812
    What's happening with Scooby? How is he doing? Have you heard anything?

Thank you in advance.

6. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $4,578
    As far as I'm aware, he is in Michigan right now. I am operating under the assumption that he will take the court this season as a redshirt freshman.

7. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,420
    Ari gonna be maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

I cannot wait to see him in action.

mwall787 and Tentozen like this.
  8. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,178
    Since you got me on the LuKas, shouldn’t he technically be a true freshman since 2020 didn’t count? :p

9. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $4,578
    Nope. Harris, Tate, Coles, and Wilmoth will all be regarded as sophomores this year, even though they have *up to* four years of eligibility remaining. Scooby medically redshirted last year so regardless of the years remaining, I'd expect that to be his descriptor.

When Butler posts its roster this year, I'd expect to see the four that played as sophomores and Scooby as a FR(RS), not that it really matters much given their respective eligibility years remaining.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  10. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,146
    It will be interesting to see how far this lags into future years. If I had a guess, it’ll likely correct itself over six years or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

11. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,605
    The Scooby situation or the Covid extra eligibility? hahaha

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  12. pjohnsto2003

Money:
    $8,146
    No joke

13. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,178
    Well **** me.

Lukas Harkins: 2
    PSUButlerFan: 0

14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,599
    Very delayed response - sorry, busy. Saying "don't push it because recovery is not something you want to deal with twice because it sucks" is a lot different than saying "don't push it because you'll be worse off in the long run." I don't know enough to know either way, but those are very different arguments.

15. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $4,578
    Monthly mailbag time! If you guys have questions, shoot them over and I'll write for this weekend probably.

Today is the one-year anniversary of starting my Patreon for Butler basketball as well! I am so thankful to the 49 of you that subscribe and all the rest that read the free-to-read pieces. I put up nearly 100 articles over the past year and can't wait to keep bringing content this summer and into next season.

indienapolis, jkcdawgs and 2xDawg like this.
  16. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,386
    Kudos Lukas, you make this board better - not something most of us could say with a straight face.

17. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,154
    Thanks Lukas for all that you do.

1. Have you noticed a difference in who or how Butler recruits since Coach Ragland has come on board?

2. For the 2022 class, any feel for who Butler has a good shot at landing?

3. Do you have a favorite AAU tournament to go to? Why?

18. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,159
    Our shooting percentages were woeful last year, especially from two point range and the free-throw line. However, a lot of that was due to Golden and Nze being impaired by the effects of illness and an ankle. Each was much better later in the year. Is there any way we can take from how we were toward the end of the year and project how we might improve for the season. Also, with all of the experience and Chuck, Jakobe and, possibly, Scoob, do you think this is a legit top 20 team?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Active Member

Money:
    $479
    How many recruits do you think we plan to take in 2022? Early on seems like a guard, wing, and big. What is your dream class (understandable if you don't want to say since you have talked with a lot of these guys...don't want you to jeopardize any relationships/future information ;)).

Butler has always thrived on getting more under-the-radar guys, ranked 100-150 nationally or even unranked. LJ looks to be aiming high in 2023. Gun to head, do you think we land a top-75 recruit in 2022 or 2023?

20. pjohnsto2003

Money:
    $8,146
    Add one with the departure of Coles.