Hark's Bark Mailbags

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Lukas Harkins, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,130
    Sorry, I had a busy weekend so I'm a little bit behind schedule. Will catch up over the course of this week. Nonetheless, here are my preseason Big East standings (free-to-read):

https://www.patreon.com/posts/57290882

butlerguy03 likes this.
  2. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $751
    I noticed you left off IU transfer Jerome Hunter for Xavier’s bit. What do you think his role/impact will be?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,130
    Aaron Thompson breakdown posted! Back to the daily pieces! This one is paid-to-read until Thursday night. With that said, the Harris, Golden, and Nze pieces from last week are all now unlocked to all.

ARTICLE LINK: https://www.patreon.com/posts/57329636

2xDawg likes this.
  4. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,445
    I actually have pretty high expectations for AT on the offensive end as well, this year. Not as a shooter, but he was pretty dominant as a scorer and play maker when not compromised in any way. I know he played in 14 games, but I'm having a hard time remembering for how many of those he was hampered by the wrist or shoulder. The St. John's home game, for sure, stands out in my memory as to what could be for AT.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg likes this.
  5. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,130
    Not sure how many of you would be interested in this, but we at Heat Check CBB just completed the biggest undertaking I've ever had as a writer. A 124-page season preview magazine is available for purchase ($7.99). Preseason Top 25, bracketology, teams that just missed the field, potential bounce-back teams, breakout stars, under-the-radar freshmen, top coaches, all 32 conferences with a preview page, individual team capsules for all 68 projected tournament teams....it's all in there!

Also, I will be at practice tomorrow for those wondering. We'll see how much I am able to post about it, but I will be there.

ChiDawg3, znelson15, #60 and 3 others like this.
  6. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,222
    Was just going to reach out to you about how practice has been, hoping you can give us something from it.

Congrats on the preview I know it’s a lot more but a magazine version would be rad!!!

As always nice work

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

seadawg likes this.
  7. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,130
    Jair Bolden Breakdown posted. I'm starting to come around on the idea that he could shoot the ball much better with AT fully healthy and the added pieces. I think his role decreases a bit this season and the efficiency could rise as a by-product. Not sure if he will be starting or filling a sixth man role, but think he could thrive as a tertiary scorer this season rather than having to shoulder as much weight as he did last year.

ARTICLE LINK: https://www.patreon.com/posts/57413561

peeps112 and 2xDawg like this.
  8. znelson15

Money:
    $2,222
    Really hoping for the sixth man roll for bolden. Having some instant fire power off the bench could really help this team.

I could see bolden having more energy off the bench on defense and also saving us a few games with his offense when starters may be struggling

The idea of groce starting just for his defense gets me excited. We could really be a strong defensive team with him, wilmoth off the bench, I am guessing an approved Harris on defense as well as the Bryce brothers both being in better shape this year. Plus groce length on defense could help the bruce brothers down low quite a bit.

All in all it’s a damn good time talking in depth butler basketball again

TheDawgDub95 likes this.
  9. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,130
    Groce piece tomorrow :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    znelson15 and TheDawgDub95 like this.
  10. znelson15

Money:
    $2,222
    Very excited to read this piece

11. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,130
    Ty Groce breakdown posted. Regardless of whether he starts or comes off the bench (depending on his shooting), I think that Groce will be one of the more impactful newcomers to the Big East this season. As a 6-8 body with length and athleticism, he adds a much-needed different dimension that was missing last season after McDermott/Tucker departed. He's not the type of shooter that either of those guys were - obviously - but he should be excellent defensively and can exploit mismatches when at the 3.

Butler got bigger positionally this offseason with four newcomers in particular: Groce, Taylor, Lukosius, and Thomas all have plus-size for their primary positions. I think this was a great move - we'll see if it pans out but the strategy is sound. Groce will offer a lot of flexibility in terms of five-man groups to play. He can play 3-through-5 given the opponent and/or situation. (Lukosius is similarly versatile, and I'd slot him at 2-through-4.)

ARTICLE LINK ($): https://www.patreon.com/posts/57481400

Tentozen, #60, BUcheer and 1 other person like this.
  12. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,445
    Hey Lukas. Great article. I know you explained how he will get his 3s and the answer to my question may be obvious, but we have been so deficient in being able to put the ball on the floor from the wing I feel compelled to ask: are most of his shots at the rim and his midrange shots created off the bounce?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,130
    Over the last two seasons, 60.2 percent of Groce's at-the-rim makes were unassisted and 88.2 percent of mid-range makes were unassisted. He does do a nice job attacking from the perimeter - there is obviously a competition adjustment that makes analyzing his EMU film perhaps disingenuous at times. I admittedly only have a two-hour practice sample size, but he did a good job getting inside and all the way to the rim in scrimmages. Probably led the team in FTA on the day. I think we'll see him play from the perimeter a lot and can kind of approach matchups like "You're the same size as me? Well then I'm faster" and "You're as fast as me? Well then I'm bigger". I'm sold on his ability inside the arc - it's the 3-point ball that I need to be convinced of in terms of determining just how good he can be this season.

14. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,130
    znelson15 likes this.