Hinkle Heat Check Episode 3

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,363
    We discuss the Villanova loss, the offense when Thompson is on the floor, and Jorgensen's shot selection. We also preview the upcoming Marquette and Seton Hall games and mix in plenty of bracketology talk as Butler sits squarely on the bubble.

2. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $120
    Still enjoying all the basketball talk guys!

I think the more concerning matchup on Wednesday will be the Hauser brothers, especially Joey at the 4. If Tucker or Jorgensen aren't firing on all cylinders, Butler's going to have a tough time keeping up with them scoring.

Lukas Harkins likes this.
  3. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,186
    You almost had me back to even keel. I think that the BE is a huge mess and if someone doesn't break out of the morass soon, we're going to get 3 bids. Last man standing plus Nova & Marq. (One or two break out we get 4.) 9-9 just might not do it with out a few wins in the BE tourney. (They might go ahead and let a few more mid-majors in this year with how bad the bubble has gotten?!?!?)

4. Coogles

Coogles Active Member

Money:
    $63
    Fantastic podcast, fellas.

cornette33 and Lukas Harkins like this.
  5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,378
    Excellent podcast!
    Butler is going 9-10 deep but four of those players aren’t offensive threats which takes the pressure off the opponents defense. Now with McD out its going to be more problematic.

Will be interesting to see who guards Baldwin as you know Howard will be on AT and won’t try too much. Will AT try to take him off the dribble or be passive again?

Don’t like this game at all for Butler unless PJ and Tucker have monster games

6. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,981
    It will be Saccir Anim or however you spell it on KB 100% chance of that

7. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,118
    And Chartouny when Anim gets a breather. Those two will be on KB all night.

estar20dawg likes this.
  8. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,344
  9. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $2,118
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone! We'll look into adding some intro/exit stuff.

10. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,467
    I just binge listened to all three Hinkle Heat Check episodes. Well done @Jared Grubbs @Lukas Harkins !!!

It's weird listening to all three (and going back several weeks) to hear your break down of the team and the projections, knowing the outcome of the each of these games.

Keep up the good work!

11. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $2,118
    Haha thanks! Due to work (Jared)/school (me) schedules, we took off between the Marquette and Seton Hall games (this was preplanned) but we'll be back!

12. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $2,118
    Podcast should be making a comeback this week before the matchup against Georgetown and we are introducing a new segment! Jared and I thought it would be interesting to take questions from those of you who listen on the board that we can answer on the pod to get others involved.

So, with that said, send over anything you want us to talk about (on this thread) and we will do our best to answer what comes up in the next pod!

cornette33 likes this.
  13. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,057
    I would like your input/knowledge if u think we are recruiting anyone well in 2020. Who u think are top targets are? Biggest needs? Wondering if u can/ are allowed to answer that.

Tentozen and Lukas Harkins like this.
  14. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,467
    Has Golden been hurt? He has only played 5 minutes in the last two games. Granted, Fowler is playing better and hitting some shots, and Brunk did well against SHU, and neither was in foul trouble. But I was just wondering why his minutes are diminishing.

And David's minutes are going down (18 against Creighton, 11 against Marquette, 5 against SHU) at a time where he at least appears to be playing better.

Thoughts?

Lukas Harkins and cornette33 like this.
  15. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,057
    Wow. Didn't know he played that little the last three.

16. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,344
    With three players that are great (or should be great) defenders, in Baldwin, Thompson, and Baddley, why isn’t Butler’s defense better than 86th? What has to change in the future to improve it going forward?

But the real question is why is there no Mo Bamba?!?

cornette33 likes this.
  17. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member

Money:
    $406
    Good question. Along the same line, why do we seem to end up in situations where our defensive switching results in bad matchups for us leading to easy baskets for our opponents?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Because Sean is physically limited defensively, Henry (as Harkins said in the last podcast) isn’t great off the ball, Joey needs a ton of work in pick and roll defense, Jordan’s positioning isn’t great and he struggles staying in a stance. Therefore we almost always have multiple guys who can be picked on.

Alternatively, we switch sometimes because it’s most effective in limiting shots off of screens, and sometimes I think because we aren’t capable of doing anything else. The downside of switching everything is that it does create matchup disadvantages.

There’s a reason the team is so much better with Nate in the game and it’s because what we’re able to do from a defensive perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops