Holtmann Telling Recruits OSU "Better Opportunity"

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,012
    I'm sure everyone will love this:

“I enjoy Coach Schrage and Coach Holtmann. The relationship hasn’t changed. They just told me it’s a new school, so just a better opportunity than Butler was. But our relationship is fine and we talk all the time”

https://makeplayz.com/2018-elijah-weaves-talks-ohio-state-oklahoma-state-florida-virginia-villanova/

Edit: This discussion has been moved to it's own topic. It was originally located in the Elijah Weaver thread.

Edit: Holtmann says he did not say this: https://butlerhoops.com/forum/index.php?threads/q-a-coach-holtmann-discusses-leaving-butler.1779

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    joeglasgow71 likes this.
  2. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $80
    lol - I'm sure it was preceded by a statement to someone in the media about how much Holtmann loved Butler and will do everything in his power to help them to do well in recruiting going forward.

HoosierDawg likes this.
  3. bu2013

bu2013 Active Member

Money:
    $238
    DawgPoundMac likes this.
  4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,073
    Haha I see they've upped their game to actively negative recruiting. I'm sure they are kicking themselves that he said publicly what they've told him privately.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

DawgsMD and DawgPoundMac like this.
  5. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,611
    Whatever. Let him sell that dream for the next 2 years and let the results speak for themselves. OSU will still be a dumpster fire playing second fiddle to their football program in a state who doesn't give a rats ass about basketball. Weaver was never coming here anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,219
    this could be a good locker room quote.
    That could be a locker room quote. This is now at least the 4th instance in which Holtmann has acted questionably despite glowing press coverage (can someone from the IndyStar write anything critical of Holtmann). 1. Infamous tweet 2. Fudging salary numbers 3. Wanting Butler to keep recruiting class together 4. negative recruiting. And these are just the public instances!

I would love for LaVall to now pursue Weaver and to really sell the kid on Butler and his ability and proven track record of developing NBA quality point guards--he could simply explain that 'it's just a better opportunity for you than OSU'

7. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,032
    Apparently biting the hand that feeds is insufficient for Holtmann and Co. They will only be satisfied with a full-scale amputation.

DawgsMD and bmradio99 like this.
  8. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,203
    Way to go Holt! You are such a class guy.

9. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,012
    To be completely fair, it's not like he's going to tell recruits he changed jobs because they paid him more and gave him more resources to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

bwesson15, #60 and Tark43 like this.
  10. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,431
    I'm late to the game on this...was steaming about this last night, decided to count to ten before posting, and I'm still pissed. F Holtmann.

11. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,717
    Huh?

12. Tark43

Tark43 Active Member

Money:
    $346
    So, how much snake oil comes in each bottle?

Sent from my XT1049 using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. I like turtles

I like turtles Active Member

Money:
    $388
    How an actual adult with integrity would deal with this situation recruiting wise:

Recruit A: Hey coach, what happened? Why did you leave Butler?

Coach: You know, I loved Butler and meant every word I said about our program and your place there. I just found the Ohio St job was a better fit for me & my family. And you are a special enough talent that I am confident you will fit anywhere, and I would love it to have you part of my first class here.

ItalianDawg, Dogweed, DawgFan and 9 others like this.
  14. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,165
    I keep trying not to be bitter & to give CH the benefit of the doubt but I've got to say there's so much overwhelming evidence to the contrary that I'm convinced CH is an a$$ clown & I truly believe the program will be better long term with LJ running the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Dogweed likes this.
  15. Grandpa Bulldog

Grandpa Bulldog Member

Money:
    $27
    Chris Holtmann and integrity should not be used in the same sentence.

DawgsMD likes this.
  16. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,313
    Sure they should. You just have to also include " lack of" in the sentence too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willisbrown and peeps112 like this.
  17. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $702
    God, I love that the phenom towards Holtmann is almost unanimous and that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

18. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,073
    He has to tell them something, and the real reason doesn't go down as easily ("They gave me more money so I switched schools, and I'm hoping the shinier facilities will make it easier for me to make you to think you should come here.")

That's what Jared is saying.

19. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,881
    Ugh Doyel was on GP's show today speaking ill of us fans and so highly of Holtmann. I was a huge Doyel fan...he's from these parts, has really been through it, yet continues to motor on when most people would have given up. But, his 1. love of Holtmann and then 2. Going on the radio today and saying we are being irrational as fans...done. **** him.

20. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    This should be archived too