Holtmann Telling Recruits OSU "Better Opportunity"

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,123
    What is it with Holtmann and Co.? I get it, he has to come through with that big contract and all of the perks he and his staff have gotten, or be is gone in four or
    five years. The fact that he and his staff continue to bash Butler and their perceived shortcoming is mind boggling, after all Butler gave him a chance. I felt bad when
    Collier, Matta, Lickliter, and Stevens left, but they continued to be friends of the program, with Collier coming back as a successful AD. Holtmann is different, as a friend
    said he always had is eye on the next job, if not OSU it would have been someplace else next year. I for one am glad he is gone and hope he falls flat on his face, call me
    vindictive, but that's what it is.

willisbrown and ButlerAlumDad716 like this.
  2. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,354
    We need to hire the right staff who can recruit Big East quality players and PAY THE STAFF. Kyle Young had no problem with the facilities or dorms until Holt left. Brunk, Baldwin & David had no problem signing either.

Create a strategy to compensate high potential coaches comparably to what a college "football school" can pay them. Honestly, this should have already been considered as a threat in the master plan to use basketball as the university's branding vehicle.

We can't compete with Brad leaving for the NBA. But after all these years of watching good coaches come and go, I'm frustrated & tired of the excuse we can't pay what a "football school" pays. Figure it out already Barry.

3. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $236
    I agree. Let's sell beer to the public during the games. Surely the revenue during the season will pay for the staff to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,443
    Not as large of a revenue producer as some might think. Profit averages out to about $2 a beer. I agree that not selling beer is "old school" thinking at college campuses but the negatives from groups like MADD need to be factored in, along with college binge drinking problem. For all the positives there are a fair amount of negatives.

5. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Active Member

Money:
    $294
    Is $2 per beer enough to cover the required licensing, increased security, higher insurance premiums, increased janitorial issues, etc.? How much would it change the atmosphere for the better? Has the increase in ticket prices already diminished the family-friendly atmosphere to the point that we might as well serve beer?

6. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $236
    I wasn't being completely serious but all good points! Seems to help Creighton

7. seadawg

Money:
    $3,443
    In fairness Creighton's arena, although close, is off campus.

8. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Are you figuring in the substantially more valuable concessionaire contract?

9. seadawg

Money:
    $3,443
    Not really. I read a detailed story a while back with colleges starting to sell beer at games. We have limited seating at Hinkle. I'll try to locate the story and post. As I recall it was a food and beverage story which had several case studies. It dealt with many issues besides merely revenue. " "Beer and wines sales at college basketball games" by Greg Gaskins. Kristi Doss of Forbes has story, "Adding alcohol a growing trend at college sporting events" with some relevant facts too.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  10. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,747
    Butler is still one of two wet campuses in the state (other being ND), right? Proximity should not have a bearing.

11. seadawg

Money:
    $3,443
    I think ND has a bar by the football stadium. Not sure the schools share in profits? One could make a case that BU's attendance may rise with beer sales.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  12. BUBBALUM

BUBBALUM Member

Money:
    $94
    Legends

13. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $67
    Legends is owned by the school, so they get 100% of those profits.

14. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,123
    Wht does this thread have to do with anything? Put it to bed!

butlerbreadman, NCJon and Tark43 like this.
  15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,998
    I always wanted to come back to this once the forms had been filed for the 2016-2017 fiscal year. I have no idea when they were finally published, but I looked it up today.

Indeed, the 1.2mm/year number that was tweeted by a few media sources when Holt was in the midst of leaving was 100% inaccurate, and I maintain that it very well could've been a lie floated out there by Holt's agent. https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/350867977/201831009349300713/IRS990

For the fiscal year ending May 2017, or the year prior to Holt's departure, he made 1.75 million. Keep in mind, he got a raise following the 2017 season, so his go-forward salary was quite likely to be above 2 million.

I know it doesn't matter now, and it ultimately didn't really matter then either, but it frustrated me that people wrote that Butler was paying this guy around a million a year for the reasons I mentioned above.

Mad_Dawg 48, bwesson15, #60 and 13 others like this.
  16. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $564
    I know what you're saying. Made BU look small-time.

Man, you are persistent!!!

ButlerProf likes this.
  17. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,894
    Not surprised at all. Dude was out there trying to get a raise every off-season. He had one foot out the door the second he took over.

ButlerProf likes this.
  18. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $656
    Yup Holtmann is scum to me. Then he played victim when Butler fans rightfully hated his guts.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerProf, DawgPoundMac and bumba like this.
  19. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,998
    To be clear: by itself, doing what you can do to get more money doesn't make anyone a bad person. But I also don't have to like it if you're doing it at my/our expense, and I'm certainly not going to get behind being misled by anybody. And between the mysterious false leak on salary, the "Team 120" tweet, and all the musings about how wonderful he thought BU was - right after completely raiding the program with talent/coaches/etc. - it was awfully hard to feel like we were never misled. And that's the bullsh*t.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,354
    Yeah, but doesn't Bolt make like $7 million per year right now - is anyone realistically going to turn that down? His wife probably slapped him the first time O$U called and he said no.