Holtmann Telling Recruits OSU "Better Opportunity"

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,642
    It was reported as 7 million for the first year because the school also paid his Butler buy-out and associated taxes. His salary is around 3 million annually.

estar20dawg likes this.
  2. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $520
    bwesson15, Shimmy, bmradio99 and 3 others like this.
  3. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,137
    So I suppose it's a matter of splitting hairs, I mean he got paid handsomely at Butler and yet O$U offered him a lot more. But, if you look at the Form 990 Schedule J you get a breakdown of his compensation, and his base salary was just under $1.2 million. The rest of the $1.7 million that shows up as total compensation on the main 990 is bonuses ($500k) and other reportable benefits that may not be direct cash compensation.

So I'm not sure the $1.2 million number that was floated was wrong, it just needed context.

4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,642
    As a side note, how tf is Larry K making 3.5mm at Utah?

And how the hell is ND getting away with paying Brey "only" 2.4?

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,642
    I'd argue "misleading" and "misleading without context" are mostly the same thing. Also, again, those numbers are based primarily on his salary before the raise he got at the end of the 2017 season.

6. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $846
    I don't have as much resentment towards Holtmann as other fans. He took the cash, but it's hard to blame him when the coaching life span can be pretty short and change rapidly at each stop. It's not like he was a true Butler guy like LaVall. However, I do think there's a better way of going about his referral to Butler in recruiting. Could simply say, "No comment, I'm the head coach at Ohio State now and that's my sole focus," and leave it at that.

7. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Active Member

Money:
    $210
    I throw up in my mouth thinking about working for IU Athletics, but if they offered me 3.5x more money than I'm making now, as one of my former directors said "Let's Go, Paycheck!"

Staxawax likes this.
  8. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,929
    Right. It wasn't as simple as that though. If it was just "I got a monetary offer I couldn't refuse," fans would grumble, but not resent him.

How this could have gone:
    • Take the new job with the pay raise
    • Don't say another word
    • Don't expect anything from your former employer
    No resentment required here.

What Holtmann did:
    • Publicly waffle
    • Take the new job with the pay raise
    • Float false figures in order to justify his decision, thus damaging the hard work Butler had done just to even be competitive
    • Attempt to bury the program he left by disparaging it in favor of his new job
    • Get pissy when fans of little ol' Butler didn't laud him and pat him on the back for his big raise by equating "Ohio State Basketball" and "The Boston Celtics"
    Holtmann can get bent.

9. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,340
    He's gone, maybe get a return in Gavitt Games. That would be nice!

10. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $696
    So, you're saying there's a chance you might come around on him? :rolleyes:

11. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,344
  12. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,410
    All I know is that Butler is 1-0 against Holtmann and O$U.

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  13. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $123
    Holt might check the following vacancies: DII--Academy of Art (CA) & Olivet Nazarene U in Ill or how about these 2 DIIIs: Otterbein U in Ohio (would not be a big move) or Lancaster Bible Co. in Pa.?