Hopkins dismissed from team

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Sep 12, 2012.

1. gutshot

gutshot New Member

Money:
    $5
    I can't believe how bad we are without Chrishawn...

2. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $355
    Clearly, we have been lucky this year.

I read the first 5 pages of this thread, and it is obvious some people don't know what they are talking about. This is the internet though, so I guess that should be expected. Anyway, Go Dawgs.

3. OldGuy64

OldGuy64 New Member

Money:
    $5
    GutShot, interesting that you brought this up. I was thinking about the very thing last night. Given the current structure of the team, I have a hard time seeing Hopkins starting given his need to handle the ball and luke warm defensive capabilities.

4. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    Haha quality bump Gutshot.

5. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,039
    Are you really trying to poke the bear that is Title. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and he wasn't the only one that foretold doom and gloom.

Look, the fact of the matter is that I want to meet the person who would have had pegged this team as being able to go 13-2 when Hopkins was dismissed. Better yet, I want to find someone who could have predicted this after the Xavier game.

The bottom line is that they are clearly over-achieving right now, but that they haven't reached their ceiling, nor are they playing their best basketball for a complete 40 minutes. And that's what is scary.

On a related note, Title's concerns were/are legitimate and I think last season's performance at the end and this year's start prove to me, beyond the shadow of a doubt, just how special this staff is in terms of prep and gameplans. There might not be a better Xs and Os staff in the country at this point. So, yeah, recruiting issues aside, when the game is tipped, I'll take Brad and co. on my sidelines any day.

6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,881
    Hopkins was addition by subtraction. Pretty easy to see that now. And it wasn't terribly hard to see that when he got the boot. Regardless of talent, I didn't want him to be part of this team once news broke of him being a dummy, repeatedly.

Enjoy sucking at Wright State.

7. Three Specks

Three Specks New Member

Money:
    $5
    Stop. There is no need for that. Yes he made a couple of mistakes, but Hop was a good guy, and i wish him the best.

8. bujet15

bujet15 New Member

Money:
    $5
    hahaha come on now! hops tweeted a pick of Hinkle and said "miss that place...". got to feel for the kid.

9. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,881
    Ha...a bit much, but I don't like him or Wright State, so, it's kind of on point.

Regardless, it's really a non topic anymore other than the argument of whether we'd be even better with him on the team, to which I say heck no.

10. Dog77

Dog77 New Member

Money:
    $5
    I agre with the comment by Three Specks that Hopkins is a good kid who made some mistakes. No need to bash him at this point and I certainly wish him the best at WSU.

On another note, I think Title's concern (after Hopkins' departure was announced) was mostly for 2013-2014, not the current year. Hopefully, the arrival of Castro and the development of some of the others will mitigate any potential guard-play gap in 2013-2014. And beyond next year, hopefully the top recruits keep coming because they recognize the quality of the program and the superiority of the coaching staff.

11. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,289
    One thing that people need to realize (if they haven't already) is that this team runs EVERYTHING through Rotnei and will depend on both him and Smith (both seniors) to win games. If Clarke isn't shooting well (see Penn and New Orleans) we struggle mightily.

If Clarke and Smith are playing to their potential - we are very good (see IU and St. Joes).

When Clarke graduates, we are being forced to gamble with Castro now that Hopkins is gone. As people have suggested, that gamble may not look like a good one come Nov. 2013 - but only time will tell.

Until then, I am going to enjoy this year's team.

12. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,289
    On a complete side note - I am not sure how much "sucking" Hops will actually do at Wright State next year. WSU is currently 13-4 and 4-0 in the Horizon and are averaging 20+ minutes a game from 3 sophomores and 3 juniors. Add in Hopkins and that team has to be the favorite to win.

Ironically, WSU might feel better about their chances of playing in the NCAAs next season than some of us will in the off season.

13. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    Hop was at the game today sitting in the Butler section. I don't think I would have the kind of mental fortitude to show my face after something like that. He is a good kid - just made a few costly mistakes. I hope he tears it up at WSU next year.

14. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $80
    +1 - Kid still clearly loves his former teammates. He tweeted out "Pray for my man Rotnei" yesterday, so while I think he made a really, really bad/dumb decision, I don't bode any ill-will towards him.

15. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,717
    Why would anyone slam this kid? Let's move on!