How Will COVID-19 Affect the 2020-21 College Basketball Season?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Albick, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,322
    We've danced around this issue on several other threads but it seemed appropriate to have one thread to discuss the likely effects of COVID-19 on the 2020-21 college basketball season. To discuss COVID generally or to share your political comments, please take those to the Stupid Coronavirus Takes thread. This thread is intended solely to discuss whether there is likely to be a college basketball season and, if so, what it will look like (schedules, venues, fan attendance, NCAA tournament possibilities, etc.)

Already we're seeing some troubling signs: the Ivy League has voted to move fall sports to next spring, the Big Ten will limit fall competition to conference games/matches/meets only; five teams dropped out of TBT due to COVID-positive players; several schools halting fall sport practices due to positive COVID results; the NBA creating an elaborate (and expensive) bubble and protocols (not possible in college basketball) to attempt to complete a truncated season; the Dallas team withdrawing from the MLS tournament in Orlando due to a player testing positive; domestic soccer leagues in various countries resuming play under strict protocols and with no fans in the stands; NFL teams severely limiting season ticket sales in anticipation of mandated restrictions on the number of fans who will be permitted to attend games (if fans are permitted at all), etc., etc.

What does it all mean for college basketball?

2. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member

Money:
    $425
    NCAA's Dan Gavitt talked about starting the season early by 2 weeks to front load games in anticipation of flux in the middle to end of the year. I actually feel like basketball will have a season. Fall sports should lead the way in showing how/if college athletics can proceed.
    I said on the other thread and still think they should prepare for conference games only. I know this will be really hard to judge for the NCAA tournament, but who cares?!? If March Madness happens without massive issues, that will be a win for everyone, regardless if the top 68 teams are in or not.

3. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,887
  4. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,488
    Sad to say, I really doubt there will be any college or professional sports till fall 2021. The 1918 pandemic lasted 18-24 months.

If anyone would like to see the Jack Dempsey-Jess Willard fight in July 1919, here is the link:

2xDawg likes this.
  5. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $893
    If there is a season, it won’t be anything like we’ve experienced. Home court advantage is gone, and it could get wacky depending on who is out due to COVID, etc.

Butts in seats like we’re used to? MLB Opening Day 2022. (I hope I’m wrong)

6. Albick

Money:
    $1,322
    https://theathletic.com/1920513/202...as-planned-for-now/?source=emp_shared_article

NCAA has not changed schedule for now but readily admits things could change. Notes that criteria may change for NCAAT bids to take into account, for example, some conferences playing only conference games (if that happens). NET would not really be viable in that situation, as it was not designed with unequal scheduling opportunities in mind.

7. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,727
    I really cannot see a season like normal, without a vaccine.

8. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,420
    Do you feel pretty strongly about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

9. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,912
    If we’re making predictions...

The best player on each of Butler’s opponents will contract COVID right before they play Butler and will be required to sit (with a speedy recovery and no lasting effects), allowing Butler to boatrace everyone on the way to a perfect season, an achievement only for teams located in the state of Indiana.

DanvilleBulldog correctly predicts all 20-30 of Butler’s wins but only makes $12 in gambling winnings.

Meanwhile one of the games is close (5-pt Butler win), causing Willis to lose his **** criticizing LaVall (Bc he just can’t help himself) while drunkenly screaming that Kermit Davis should be the coach (while Davis is in the midst of a winless campaign).

John Michael-Mulloy wins National Player of the Year.

10. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,199
    Surprisingly enough it turned out that the best player on each of these teams was none other than Evan Turner.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,127
    I'm still hopeful we can have a season, though I have essentially no hope of being in my seat before New Year's Day. Perhaps we can have fan-less games in November and December and transition to limited capacity by mid season and something close to normal by March. I think that's the very best realistic scenario.

Shimmy likes this.
  12. Snozzberry

Snozzberry New Member

Money:
    $36
    Doubt we play any non-conference games. Someone will be like Big 14 (wait is it 10 still minus the Rutger carry over the flyover country ... yep my math is still 10 - did not major in math btw), anyways another conference will have this policy & others will follow. There will still be a league tournament and a national tournament, where the national t is played at one or two sites. No fans. Likely best case scenario, I'm guessing

13. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,239
    Only conference games. They will undoubtedly do everything possible to get the NCAAT played because that's where the money is, I mean, because it showcases student-athlete excellence.

14. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,065
    Best case scenario at this point is a conference season in the Spring with an expanded NCAAT field (82?). Schools left out won’t be able to complain about bs that way.

The best four-year PG in Butler history will only make one tourney. Think that’s my biggest takeaway.

15. Albick

Money:
    $1,322
  16. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $12,912
    If the season is canceled or severely affected, certainly this year everyone would get another year of eligibility.

BUcheer likes this.
  17. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,065
    You think AT and Nze would come back? Personally, I’d be ready to roll unless I thought we had a legit shot at winning the league in 21-22.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  18. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,976
    The absence of a federal mandate to be vaccinated could be devastating for not only all sports but rest of us. That is assuming a proven vaccine can be found and mass produced. Some folks will inevitably disregard an order, meaning this virus could linger for decades as a worst case scenario. By that time another new pandemic will have surfaced.

19. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $12,912
    I have no idea. But neither is playing in the NBA. Both are looking at maybe a max of 5 years somewhere overseas. Will delaying that by a year hurt? No. And the chance to get a 2nd degree or pursue a masters at no cost could be attractive... maybe they just want to be done and move on , especially Nze since this will be his 6th year, but I can see sticking around being attractive.

20. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,150
    Problem is scholarship numbers though. I agree that they'd prob come back and play to put a real cap on their careers...but will the NCAA grant this year's seniors an extra year of eligibility and allow schools (if needed) to carry let's say 15 scholarships instead of 13? Different for every school but we'd have 3 Seniors coming back that were supposed to use up their eligibility this season. The NCAA would have to allow teams to go to 15 or 16 schollies for 21-22 to allow those that want their final season to come back and play.

I'd stay in college as long as I could at that age and would pursue a grad degree for sure...if I was allowed to do so.

Saying that I think we at least get in a conference season...but much like with Baldwin and McD last year, it wouldn't be a complete senior season...and frankly that blows.