How Will COVID-19 Affect the 2020-21 College Basketball Season?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Albick, Jul 9, 2020.

1. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,101
    Awesome. You can have this rectified in 2 hours

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,065
    Wrong!

I’m currently in Iowa. That DVD resides in NJ.

ButlerNut likes this.
  3. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,295
    You could stream the *actual* best sports movie of all time, Juwanna Mann.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,310
    All the "Hoosiers" nostalgia in this thread is a trip. I was a kid when it came out and we'd been living in the Indian Creek (Nineveh-Hensley-Jackson) school district during filming. Morgantown was a stand-in for downtown "Hickory" and the old Nineveh High School was Hickory High School, plus a few other local connections. I know lots of small towns in central Indiana have cameos, but it was just a crazy experience to have all this excitement about filming a movie in our community and then seeing it on the big screen. One of my sisters was a cheerleader at Indian Creek and she and a bunch of her friends were extras as cheerleaders, plus we knew lots of people in various crowd scenes.

I haven't lived in Indiana for more than 20 years now. I watch it whenever I get homesick. There are a few parts of it that don't hold up well, but it remains one of my favorite movies and a comfort.

5. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,310
    I had my first varsity wrestling match as a freshmen at Case Arena. My strongest memory is that darn Dachshund painted on the ceiling, which is funny because I wasn't the one on my back in that match.

It's a trip to look at the Western University home crowd in "Blue Chips" and see zero diversity - for a school in Los Angeles. Still enjoy it though, but that piece of it has always made me laugh a little. Good ol' Frankfort.

seadawg likes this.
  6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,842
    Haha.. the movie’s connections to people in the state run deep. I had a high school teacher who was one of the opposing players - no acting experience, just a then-20 year old local who had a buzz cut and liked to hoop.

Maris Valainis (Jimmy Chitwood) and my dad were at one point courting the same girl - pre-Hoosiers.

jarik, BUcheer and NCJon like this.
  7. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,145
    Frankfort does have a wonderful gym. I don't remember the ceiling but I should since I was flat backed there myself as sophomore. LOL

NCJon likes this.
  8. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $15,065
    Ha. Just remembered my dad’s cousin (Tim Fogarty), who I think is still a college basketball ref, is actually in this movie. Here’s his line (he plays the ref at the end):

9. ButlerNut

Money:
    $8,101
    You can find that video everywhere in Iowa. Or on one of the 300 streaming services you use to get all the Butler games

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Butler Hoops mobile app

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  10. ButlerNut

Money:
    $8,101
    So you watched it?

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $888
    Did you guys wrestle each other?

ButlerNut and NCJon like this.
  12. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,679
    I asked for proof of this and got crickets. (I know it’s not true).
    Probably should just let it go but this is how things get started. You all will remember at some point something that was posted on a message board and take it as fact. It’s not.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. thevinrod

thevinrod Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $823
    Felt the same way when they closed Paco’s Cantina.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,834
    I think this is how a lot of people "feel" about the movie. With that said, those feelings don't necessarily make the movie "good". I think it's a nice nostalgia movie that has a loose connection to Butler which is often times over emphasized.

NCJon, CMG and Tentozen like this.
  15. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $15,065
    Nope. Just remembered my uncles crowing about this line as if it was some very impressive feat.

ButlerNut likes this.
  16. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,756
    Don Stratigos (aka Strats) is the ref who throws Hackman out.

ButlerNut likes this.
  17. CMG

CMG Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $232

I don't often hear criticism for the movie AT ALL, but it leaves a lot to be desired and I agree is quite over rated. I am being a bit tongue in cheek but there are so many problems.
    The coach
    - punches a college player, is banned from coaching and then...gets hired to coach HS kids?
    - had a history of violence gets ejected twice and his players are in a brawl, not a word from Cletus.
    - speaks for God to manipulate his player "God wants you on the floor" (at least this is better than punching?)
    - makes a pass 4 times rule and then ABANDONS his principles and goes iso in the last play? The Hickory message board went ballistic for the hero-ball.
    - has a sh!tty team and gets voted out (by the town lol) and then bailed out by a talented player.
    - hires the town drunk who goes to rehab for the championship game
    - has a random unearned romance...I imagine some scene got cut that is suppose to make the kiss more meaningful

The South Bend team is used as a racist trope.
    Jimmy looks at the ball when he dribbles multiple times.
    I wish Jack Nicholson got the Norman Dale role...that sh!t would have been WILD

2xDawg likes this.
  18. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,736
    I haven't lived in Indiana for maybe 10 years but it's a go-to for me. Whenever I'm dating someone new, there is a 50/50 chance when I tell them I'm a Hoosier they ask "like the movie? what even is a Hoosier?"

19. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,736
    the make-out scene is this movie is.....horrible

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  20. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,834
    genuine lol. Jimmy played so much hero-ball.

NCJon and ButlerNut like this.