How Will COVID-19 Affect the 2020-21 College Basketball Season?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Albick, Jul 9, 2020.

1. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $931
    Been living here since 1995 and this is the most logical description of "hoosier" I've heard.
    Hard to argue with it, even today.

2. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $966
    This was just supposed to be a funny line. The player smiled and found it funny. Have we gotten so literal that we're actually taking this seriously?

There's a big difference between a coach trying to instill discipline the first game of the season and running a final play to try and win a state championship.

Otherwise, I find Hoosiers to be an entertaining movie, not great but a fun watch.

3. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,845
    Someone is a big Normal Dale stan.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. CMG

CMG Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $256
    Lol, as I said I was being a bit flippant, but the whole movie can be read from a perspective of Coach = god, Jimmy = Jesus and basketball is religion.
    I'm sure multiple IU Film students did their thesis on just this.

5. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $966
    Yes, I see what you mean.

6. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,508
    In men's D1 basketball, only the Ivy League and two MEAC schools opted out of the whole season. I wonder if there ever could come a point in the season where a school would just say that the constant starting and stopping this season, together with the COVID risks, are not worth it and opts out of playing the rest of their games. It's already happened in D1 women's basketball (Duke, Virginia, SMU, and more). I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen in men's basketball as well, especially when a team with a losing record has a positive case in February. I'm not sure how conferences would look on that, but it's pretty clear that many, perhaps most, schools aren't going to play a full conference schedule this season.

I mentioned in another thread that there was talk of teams assured of high seeds in the NCAAT opting out of conference tournaments to avoid the risk of a COVID case that could cause them to miss the Big Dance. A poster noted that, in the Big East, for example, there probably is a contractual obligation to provide a certain number of tournament games. That's a good point, although I have to believe there will be a good deal of flexibility this year.

ChiDawg3 likes this.
  7. ChiDawg3

ChiDawg3 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $511
    I think you are spot on. We will be seeing teams "ending their season early." Actually, Butler is in the running for that scenario coming to fruition. I'd hate to say it, but the next injury, or player with a family member that is ill and has to step away, or a host of other possibilities and we are close to not being able to field a team anymore. We are lucky we have made it this far this year with the way things transpired. I would not be surprised if other teams shut it down early.

troggy likes this.
  8. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,607
    I was just about to respond the same thing. I'd think Butler is in the "most likely" category of teams to just shut it down. They're not going dancing, probably is going to be tough to compete here on out with injuries and illnesses, why not take the time and just practice rather than traveling to Omaha or New York to lose with 7 guys playing night in and night out.

9. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $966
    The term "hoosier" still seems to get thrown around the St. Louis area in a usage similar to this. Not sure how widely used it is.

10. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $966
    This seems like a pretty defeatist attitude, to me. Sure, it could happen, if they lose more players for any reason but, otherwise, I don't see it. They have three seniors, who likely won't be back, so this is it for them and three freshmen getting lots of experience on the floor, if nothing else.

ChiDawg3 likes this.
  11. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,286
    I agree. You get better by competing against other teams. A majority of the posters on this forum have said, "this is a growing year for the Freshmen to develop and improve" but now people are saying "shut it down and just practice?" WTH? Nope. Play the games. Get better by playing competition. Learn situations and improve.

ButlerProf, troggy and ChiDawg3 like this.
  12. ChiDawg3

ChiDawg3 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $511
    I don't see Butler opting out UNLESS there is an injury or we lose another player for any other reason. It's alarming to note how close we really are to that juncture. I'm just grateful we have had the opportunity to let this team learn and grow. I am admittedly more of a fan than a critic, so I can't understand the frustration with the team this year. You either win or you learn, and we have had to learn A LOT this year. If this freshmen class is as great as we hope, the struggles of this year and what they have had to overcome is what will set the tone for the rest of their careers. I'm not sure how these guys are even practicing. Who are they scrimmaging???? Do the coaches have to lace them up at this point to run 5v5? We could NOT have had a more challenging year filled with injuries, ineligibility, and Covid craziness. Yet, they continue to show up with whatever they got that night and take on Big East opponents.
    I hope they continue to play as much as they can, learn from their adversity, and enjoy their highlights along the way.

troggy and tlp63 like this.
  13. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,748
    I’ve heard Jeff Foster is helping with scrimmages.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. butlerguy03

Money:
    $1,607
    I'm not saying it's ideal, but it is a possibility. The NBA doesn't allow teams to play with less than 8, Butler is dangerously close to that number - does anyone know if the Big East or NCAA has a minimum number? Again, I don't think it will happen unless another major injury happens, but Butler would be on the "most likely" list.

15. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,286
    [​IMG]

@PSUButlerFan this is a "Hoosiers" reference...since you haven't ever seen the movie.

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  16. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $966
    There are 8 scholarship players currently available. Are any of the walk-ons available at this point?

17. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,518
    Would guess there’s not.

In Coach Godlevske’s (women’s coach) first game, they played the last four minutes or so with four players.

Alabama played with maybe 3 a couple years ago in a thanksgiving tournament game. (Was an awesome game)

I do think there might be something about starting with less than 5 but you can certainly play with whatever is left.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

butlerguy03 likes this.
  18. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,508
    Not sure if Campbell Donovan is ready yet but I haven't heard of any reason Parker would not be available.

troggy likes this.
  19. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,337
    I don't think conferences have any such minimums.

Miami is currently down to 6 available scholarship players. In Scott Drew's first two seasons in Waco, Baylor self-limited to 7 scholarship players in the aftermath of the Patrick Dennehy's murder and all the **** that came out about the program under Dave Bliss subsequently.

20. butlerguy03

Money:
    $1,607
    Good to know! I don’t want it to end, just thought we might be in a bad spot.

troggy likes this.