How Will COVID-19 Affect the 2020-21 College Basketball Season?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Albick, Jul 9, 2020.

1. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,268
    Why did you say “haven’t ever” instead of “have never”? What went into that choice?

2. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,286
    midwestern colloquialism?

3. CMG

CMG Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $256
    I do think the Big East has a "7 scholarship players available" rule.

NCJon likes this.
  4. ChiDawg3

ChiDawg3 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $511
    So it turns out the rule varies by conference and some specify schlorship players vs total players.
    The Big East has a "7 Athlete Available Rule." Seven athletes is the threshold for the minimum number of available players in basketball, although it is not specified if the seven are comprised of scholarship players or total players, including walk-ons.
    Big 12’s basketball requirement is six scholarship players.

NCJon likes this.
  5. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,337
    Fair enough.

6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,538
    Well this is gonna chap some of you who live and die by Covid. But for me, damn glad to see it and good for Indianapolis/NCAA for this decision. Also, should be a little, not huge but little boost for the Indy economy especially small businesses, restaurants and bars:

7. NCJon

Money:
    $8,337
    I assumed that was part of the reason they chose Indianapolis - an expectation that the city/state would allow a significant number of fans. They wouldn't hold it here, say in Charlotte, even if you could find the right venues because the state's still not allowing more than a very small number of fans in arenas.

8. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,538
    Yep and I think it's great. Indianapolis has the venues and the looser guidelines and even if just a little, this takes the pain away of a limited fan football season and no combine (which I think is silly, but whatever). 68 teams and their fans (some of them) will now be in the Indy area spending their cash all over. IU only doing 500 people, but the rest are to allow 25% from what I understand...and IU is only the play in and a I think a few first round games.

If Hinkle allows the 25%, the cool thing is the size of it...2000 or so fans can make that place still feel/sound pretty electric.

BigHoss likes this.
  9. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,748
  10. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,538
    Oh the horrors!!!!! It's a super spreader!!

I don't know how to do the sarcastic thingy for my words.

11. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,286
    Oh, Willis...people just take you as sarcastic anyway! hahahahahaaha (Just messing with ya)

12. BigHoss

BigHoss Active Member

Money:
    $434
    THRILLED there will be fans. Even if it's a few. It makes a huge difference!

I've had a much harder time being interested in non-Butler college basketball this season, and I think it is mostly because of the lack of fans. To me, college basketball is the sport that is most reliant on a crowd to make a great product.

I don't like the NBA. It's a better product on the floor, you can't argue that. But college basketball is great because of the crowds, student sections, bands, upsets, court storms, etc.

It won't be "normal", but it'll at least feel more meaningful than a pre-season scrimmage.

13. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,518
    It’s funny bc I think the nba is the only league whose product has actually improved during covid

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

14. NCJon

Money:
    $8,337
    Interesting piece in the New York Times today talking to athletes and administrators from a bunch of different sports about their impressions as everything suddenly shut down last year. It includes some comments from Jett Canfield of Creighton. They were in the middle of their Big East Tournament game against St. John's when it was called off.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

ChiDawg3 likes this.