How Will COVID-19 Affect the 2020-21 College Basketball Season?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Albick, Jul 9, 2020.

1. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $435
    I could see two bubbles, an east bubble in Philly or DC and a midwest bubble in Chicago or Indy, then a month later a bigger bubble for all 11 teams with each east team playing each midwest team. Five game days of five games in the regional bubble, six game days of five games in the crossover bubble. Everyone plays each other once at a neutral site. Would put a day or two in between game days.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  2. ChiDawg3

ChiDawg3 Active Member

Money:
    $221
    I love that idea, especially the Chicago bubble part!

3. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,298
    Big Ten now talking about playing in November??

4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,347
    They are. Which I think is completely ridiculous...but as has been their whole bungled approach to this. The Governor of Michigan gonna be pissed. She a yuge "anti-playing" type.

To how it would work? That's anyone's guess. The teams/leagues they would be fighting with for bowl/playoff spots are starting in a few weeks so...not sure what they'd have in mind other than just an all conference schedule then the championship game? We live in cray cray times.

5. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,724
    live look at B1G Commissioner Kevin Warren trying to save his chil... I mean job...

[​IMG]

6. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,298
    Ok, sorry for the delay here.

The answer is... yes and no.

To answer your question directly, the a answer would be yes. We had two doctors on staff, a GP and a surgeon, who were around anytime we were (morning lifts, afternoon meetings and practice), and there were top class. The surgeon had a private practice too, so we could send guys there for “free” (assume they would just Bill PSUs insurance). As you understand Willis, this is way way better than what we would get elsewhere, and there’s zero cost to us. From that perspective, it’s best for us as athletes to be on campus where access to top care is free to us, including if someone where to contract COVID. I had a couple issues during college I can get into, and I got way better care than I have outside. Their Job is to keep us performing at the highest level possible. The doctor you see now is no-doubt rushed and is incentivized to see as many patients as possible to generate the most money (this is changing - outcome-based care rather than fee for service, but that’s an entirely different conversation).

That said, it’s also “no” because it’s not that simple. You can’t keep college kids in a bubble like you can pro athletes. Even the bubble is causing issues - which NBA player said it has led to depression? It was a few days ago.

But college kids have to go to class. If all classes were online, it might work, but they will be at class with other students who aren’t as safe. You see the videos surfacing and the university responses. Kids that age are stupid. We all were. They will go party and hook up and spread this. And then your 4th string LB gets it in class and spreads it to the team and the season is over. So in practice it probably can’t work.

Also, it will be hard to stop the football players from acting like college kids as well. It’s no secret it’s easy for athletes to pick up girls and be treated like kings on campus. Our guys couldn’t even stop the partying when we were in Cali for the Rose Bowl. A once-in-a-lifetime game and experience. You think they will stop Bc of COVID? No.

And just because they are in peak shape doesn’t mean this thing won’t affect them (see that Red Sox pitcher). Just not worth the risk.

So while in theory you are right, in practice it won’t work.

And your second point is nonsense. One of the best players I played with was Sean Lee (Cowboys All Pro). He was probably the most intense person I have ever been around on the field, and one of the nicest guys off of it.

Even John Urschel (teammate of mine for a year who is one of the smartest ppl I have ever met - look him up) quit football. He wrote an op-ed describing what you describe Willis - that need to hit ppl, even after all the concussion research dropped and ppl told him to quit to save his brilliant mind. Once a final study came out during camp a few years ago, he retired that day. So he got over his desire to hit people.

Yeah guys are tightly wound, but then lift weights. Go for a run. They will need to learn to cope since almost no one is a high-level athlete for more than half their life at best (play till 40, live till 80).

jeff likes this.
  7. coach roastbeef

coach roastbeef Member

Money:
    $51
    i think it could work if masks, handwashing and social distancing practiced at all times!

8. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,473
  9. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,077
    Pretty sure we’ve all seen our last game in Hinkle. Let’s enjoy this upcoming season. Hopefully the boys can make the bubble tourney.

10. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,473
  11. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $4,724
    the word bubble is now approaching the most overused word & term in sports writing history... the teams are literally just playing a typical preseason tournament while continuing to regularly test their athletes per usual rn and using the word bubble to make it seem like its more safe

12. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,903
    Guess we are gonna see some hoops!!!

willisbrown and seadawg like this.
  13. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,275
    Surprised a resolution was reached this quickly. The devil will be in the details.

14. willisbrown

Money:
    $9,347
    If you think about it, thats 2 months away. Thank sweet baby Moses. Even though we are going to be awful, just having basketball back will be so, so great. I can't remember a worse day than that thursday in march. Heartbreaking.

15. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,010
    Like many of you, my whole world felt like it crumbled in March. Hopefully they have good plans.

16. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,903
    I felt the same, but imagine how Sean, Kamar, Henry, Derrick, and the non-seniors felt.

Last year's team could have been special in the dance...and maybe would have prevented a stupid thread on this forum...

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $4,724
    this news has to be painful to the few whom were pushing the no season narrative across all threads

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    willisbrown likes this.
  18. willisbrown

Money:
    $9,347
    Doyel's column today and Christine Brennan's column today were absolutely the spit fire of those that want no sports and are scared to death of this virus. And unfortunately, theres a crowd out there that falls in line with them. I just don't get the attitude.

19. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,007
    There's a huge gulf between thinking it's foolhardy and "want[ing] no sports."

jeff, 2xDawg and PSUButlerFan like this.
  20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,473