How Will COVID-19 Affect the 2020-21 College Basketball Season?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Albick, Jul 9, 2020.

1. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,059
    It’s going to be interesting when the NBA comes back and Sinclair’s Trump Network owns the rights to many, many teams’ broadcasting rights. Talk about a nasty situation.

2. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,705
    I renewed and would gladly attend games if permitted but am not confident that will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

willisbrown likes this.
  3. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,519
    Agree completely, we switched to YTTV because it was $50 a month and they had the sports channels I wanted to watch. Now it's $65 per month and currently no Pacers games. I will definitely switch if they don't get this resolved.

Does anybody have the Hulu package with live TV? Do they have the Fox sports channels? I already buy the $12 monthly package for the kids. It would be an easy switch if they do.

What about the Big East digital subscription? Can you watch basketball games and stream it from your phone to a smart TV?

4. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,442
    I still have no idea how this is legal... but it’s like every channel in the world or something.

https://www.wyatv.com/

BU Fan in Illinois likes this.
  5. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,212
    I have Hulu Live. I pay $70/month, but that's with the HBO added. Without it, I think it would be $60. But I have FS1, FS2, FS-Ohio, and FS-Indiana. For the kids, Hulu has Disney, but not Nickelodeon.

BoyGeoff and bumba like this.
  6. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,059
    These negotiations happen regularly. There's a reason it cut off immediately after basketball season, both sides know it is less likely to matter until the new NBA season starts. It's leverage. I don't think either of them want to be without the other come NBA season.

I turned off Spectrum back in August, switched to Hulu for a month and hated it - something about the layout is just "off" - its not natural to me. I went to YTTV and was very happy that 1) it is a separate app and 2) it functioned like the tv guides we are used to 3) it has no limit on recordings - not that I actually use it 4)no limit on devices like Hulu's 2-device limit (or maybe it was 3?). In my experience, Hulu slowed down the entire home's internet as well - maybe just perception, but it seems like we have much fewer issues with YTTV and it rarely de-pixelizes like Hulu did.

The only thing I hate about both is the severe delay on sporting events. When Butler wins the national title in a couple of years, I will know a minute after everyone else.

7. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,297
    Perfect summation of what makes YTTV great, and why I'm cautiously optimistic like you that there will be too much left on the table to follow through with this when games start back up.

8. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,012
    And no NFL Network, but otherwise really happy with Hulu aside from the one outage I’ve witnessed, which coincided with the last 12 game minutes of the Butler-Stanford game.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

ButlerNut likes this.
  9. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,467
    Those were some all-time great minutes for KB, too!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerNut likes this.
  10. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,467
    Anyone know why Butler delayed the start of practice until next week? Star article said it wasn't Covid related but didnt say why?

It also spurred additional speculation about Bo playing this year given the fact he could play 2 years, but it didn't give any indication as to the chances of that occurring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

Bulldogs260 likes this.
  11. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,526
    Lavall’s mother passed away. Prayers to the family

I’d guess that is why practice got delayed

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,456
    As was said, LaVall's mama died.

To the other point...there is no excuse not to request a waiver now. Especially as thin as we are this year. Bo can play at this level right now. I have no idea why they wouldn't take advantage of the extra year now that it has passed.

seadawg and BURph92 like this.
  13. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $17,597
    Has the official rule been posted anywhere? I haven’t found it still. Everyone (myself included) is assuming that this year simply doesn’t count towards their eligibility. But is that true? Or is it that everyone on the roster this year gets an extra year of eligibility. The difference being does it have to be used this year? Or will someone redshirting this season still get an extra year? I don’t think that’s the case, but I could see them not wanting to punish people for deciding to redshirt and now essentially missing out on a year. It’s a stretch, but it’s the NCAA, so it only has to kind of make sense anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,335
    Here's a link to a Washington Post article on the rule adoption: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/14/ncaa-winter-sports-extra-eligibility/

Its description is: "Athletes now have the opportunity to play five seasons within a six-year span rather than the typical four seasons in five years."

I have not found the rule posted on the NCAA website.

15. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,390
    The pandemic trends are certainly not very encouraging for fans in seats at Hinkle. Not to forecast doom, but it seems TV may be the best bet at this point, if at all.