Howard Washington - 2017 Point Guard (Syracuse)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Aug 12, 2013.

1. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,803
    Maybe cause we were the only one on his list?.

2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,037
    He retweeted several tweets about his "de-commitment." He's opening back up and wants to see what else is out there. I guess we are a fall-back for now? Not sure the staff will hang around or not.

At the end of the day, we're the ones without a PG on the roster. He's holding the chips. Don't think I'd blame the staff for hanging around.

3. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20,577
    No idea, I'm just relaying what he said to me. He seems to me to genuinely like Butler. Recruits lie all the time, it's not uncommon. But if he was no longer considering Butler I'm guessing he wouldn't have even responded to me. There would be no reason for him to.

4. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    Not surprised by this at all.

5. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,548
    Of course he did. We all (well, those with a brain, which is most of us) knew this the minute he reclassified. Go have fun at some mid major. We'll be fine and find a guard or two that are and will be better than your ass anyway.

6. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $20,444
    The most important advice I can give any of you with regards to recruiting: Watch what a recruit does, not what he says.

Once he reclassified and left his HS, this was likely never happening. Willis nailed it this time.

7. I like turtles

I like turtles Well-Known Member

Money:
    $719
    It had to be one of three explanations:

1. He got the sense that he was no longer considered a key piece for Butler's future because of a transfer or late signee that is coming (possible but doubtful)

2. He sees himself as a one and done Kentucky recruit type player or some sort of megastar (possible and sad if true)

3. He sees that he is physically and perhaps emotionally not ready for Big East basketball, wants a year to mature and doesn't want to string Butler along (least likely)

With our roster, the kid had every opportunity in front of him to prove himself worthy of major minutes at pg. Dissapointing way for things to end.

8. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,618
    I am impressed that most of the people on this board have been respectful of Washington in their posts.

9. bu2013

bu2013 Active Member

Money:
    $419
    So your most likely scenario is that the kid thinks he's only going to be in college for a year but wants to start a year late? Not sure I follow that logic. I'd guess it's something closer to your #1 or #3

10. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,079
    Yes and if he bulks up and stops being a drama queen, then please come to Butler.

11. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,783
    The fact that he has a list is all you need to know. I don't think Washington is on Butler's list any longer.

12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,037
    We can puff our chests and act like we want to ditch him for this all we want, but until we have any option whatsoever for the '17 pg spot I still think he's still holding the cards and we would take him.

13. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,783
    We have plenty of options...probably will have plenty more.

Heck, just take a look at the first page of this thread. Butler did not get serious about Howard Washington until late May of last year. How quickly did things progress with Kamar Baldwin?

There is more than enough time. I'm pretty excited that we have this scholarship back and can take a fresh look at 2017 guards.

14. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,548
    This is the right perspective, especially if you believe in Holt. This gives flexibility to be more aggressive with grad transfers right now, and allows to go harder after a '17 who actually wants to be here. At first, I didn't want this to be true, but after thinking about it more, I don't want someone here who doesn't want to be here...and he doesn't. We'll nail someone else and be just fine. Someone who isn't wishy washy about being a bulldog.

15. I like turtles

I like turtles Well-Known Member

Money:
    $719
    No. What I am saying is the most likely scenario is the kid thinks he is a superstar and thinks he can do better than Butler if only he gets another year to improve. That's fine but the odds are he will be sorely disappointed.

16. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,068

Yes, he thinks he can do better than Butler or he wouldn't have open up his recruitment.

17. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    Yea there may be 30 programs that might be better and another 300 that are worse. Maybe he will look at the other 300.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  18. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,241
    It's a two way street. Only one BU, but a whole lot of point guards out there to choose from. I'll bet anyone $100 right now he'll never play at Butler. As far as our 2016 Freshman class, if I had to loose one, it would have been Washington. Get Wesson and / or Gordon and add a transfer and this class is even better.

19. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,548
    Sh!t, I'd bet $1000 he'll never wear a Butler uniform. This was his only way out and he took it. There's nothing more to it. Those that try and candy coat it, just do it because they want to. You can be told this and that but it's all smoke. The dude got cold feet and didn't want to come here...so he took the prep route because it means he can de-commit and then show case his game for others. I hope we've told him to go enjoy his prep school, ripped up his scholly and move on to players that want to be here. This could be a big time reprieve if any of these chases work out.

20. xiuman

xiuman New Member

Money:
    $5
    This is about how I thought things would eventually pan out. HW has chosen his words carefully as to not burn any bridges, which is smart on his part. However, I'm not totally convinced he is doing what is in his best interest, although he may perceive it that way.