Howard Washington - 2017 Point Guard (Syracuse)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Aug 12, 2013.

1. 4636Cornelius

4636Cornelius Member

Money:
    $79
    Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 21s21 seconds ago

Indiana has also called on reclassed 2017 PG Howard Washington who decommitted from Butler, per @CoachTonyMac

2. jimmychitwood

jimmychitwood Member

Money:
    $5
    Wow. If that comes to fruition I expect an icy reception at Banker's Life for HW in the coming years.

3. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,292
    I'd probably disagree, it's tough to blame the player when the staff recruited multiple kids to play combo guard in the same class. One of them would potentially get beat out for minutes and transfer (e.g. Davis & Wideman). I still anticipate Washington will be successful in college (here or somewhere else).

4. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,193
    That is ridiculous. What has likely happened is that Washington had certain playing time expectations based on his original conversations with the coaching staff, which were obviously based on how they saw him developing as a player, which didn't materialize.. He is quoted saying he expected to contribute immediately.

It's pretty plain to see that HW was no longer looking at meaningful playing time as a freshman and possibly not as a sophomore.

The kid wants to play, which is understandable, so the best option for him is to open his recruitment and look for the best situation for him. I think it's pretty unlikely he ends up at a better program than Butler, though there are certainly better situations out there for him personally.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    I think this is the same situation with Moore along with physically not being ready. Washington needs to bulk up and Moore needs to get taller.

6. SchlabbaDawg

SchlabbaDawg Active Member

Money:
    $3,159
    One is easier to do than the other...

7. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $645
    Not as a sophomore? Who's going to play PG?

8. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $645
    Taller means nothing, just ask Tyler Ulis and Yogi Ferrell. Not recruiting Moore is foolish.

9. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    He's not Ulis or Ferrell. See Lewis,

10. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,037
    Or what you just said. It is one of the two.

11. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,193
    I don't believe the staff is satisfied with Washington as a starting PG at this point or he would likely still be on board. If they thought he would be ready to take the reigns as a sophomore, that likely means they would have been comfortable playing him as a backup in 2016 and I'm not sure that's even the case.

The answer to your question is not on the roster currently but it's pretty clear the staff doesn't believe HW is the answer yet either.

Perhaps they will continue to stay in contact with HW, or perhaps not, but they will certainly explore all of their options.

12. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,292
    [tweet]721443517256572929[/tweet]

13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,292
    [tweet]724029176953491458[/tweet]

14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,960
    Averaging 11/5/4 and 43% from 3 in his 5 AAU games this spring.

Sure hope we aren't seriously regretting this debacle in a few years.

15. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,352
    I watched his game Friday night and I came away with the impression that it was definitely Butler that did the "parting of the ways." He has some holes in his game. His stats are a little skewed as the game Sat vs Southern Stampede was up and down and no defense was played.

Here is my impression of Washington. He still (body wise) looks the same as he did at Louisville last summer. He hasn't been able to add any upper or lower body strength. I bet he still weighs in the 165 to 175 range. He is definitely a pass first guard. He's unselfish. He didn't finish well in the game I watched. And I got a better look at his outside J in that game as he took a few. It needs work. I just don't think he is a good enough player to make a dent in the Big East. Definitely would not have logged major minutes in 2016 if he came here.

I think he is doing the right thing by reclassifying to 17. He really has to get stronger and he has to develop a better outside game.

16. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    That is pretty much what I expected and suggested. He just didn't impress me in the couple of games I saw on TV. Definitely needs to work on his body and quickness. Quite possible that is why he is going the prep school route. Hinkle said it was a debacle which I'm not sure what he meant. It could have been a mutual decision.

17. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,984
  18. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $232
    Did Syracuse finally offer him? Not a bad program. hope he does well. He has the talent to be competitive in any conference.

19. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,011
  20. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,984