IndyBall 2012

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by Jared Grubbs, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $17,299
    It has been referenced in a few threads, but I wanted to create a new thread for the IndyBall 2012 AAU tournament this weekend. It is Friday-Sunday at North Central. It's a good chance for those in the Indy area to see some of the players Butler is looking at. Some of the guys that I've found that should be there include Sean Sellers, Aaron Brennan, Jalen Coleman, Bryant McIntosh, Mav Morgan, Jaylon Brown, and KJ Walton. There are probably more that I missed and there are several that I don't know exactly what team they are playing on this year. It's $4 on Friday and $8 each Saturday and Sunday.

I'm probably going to go there to watch some games for 1 of those games so I'll post my thoughts here (I will also copy them to the individual player's threads, but I'm sure some things will be about guys that don't have threads yet or that aren't even Butler related). Anyone else that either goes or finds reports on twitter or wherever is encouraged to do that same.

Edit: Here is the list of AAU teams involved. Note that players sometimes change AAU teams, so the team listed for the player on this board might be outdated (if there even is one, I just started adding that recently).

http://grassrootshoops.com/Assets/Documents/197.pdf

2. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,299
    I'm going to create a list of teams to follow and the players on each team and possibly incorporate their schedule into it as well when it comes out. It's pretty much just a guide to myself for when I go, but I'll make it public since I'm sure it will interest a few others as well. It's going to be a working post that I will edit over the next few days. If anyone has names/info to add feel free to post.

Eric Gordon 16U
    • Sean Sellers
    • Bryant McIntosh
    • Aaron Brennan
    • Zach McRoberts
    9:45 NV Main, 12:15 NV Main

Eric Gordon 15U
    • Brennan Gillis
    • Eron Gordon
    Fri 7:45, Sat 2:45 NV Main

Spiece Indy Heat 2015
    • KJ Walton
    • Bronson Kessinger
    3:15 FH, 7:45 NC

Martin's Wolverines
    • Maverick Morgan
    • Jaylon Brown
    12:15 NC S1, 4:00 NC S2

Indiana Elite Team Indiana
    • Ernie Duncan
    • Michael Jones
    • Keaton Hendricks
    9:45 NC Main, 12:15 NC Main

Coleman was on that Eric Gordon team last year playing up a year but he isn't listed on either roster for this year. Not sure if he is playing for them or another team or not in this at all. Vitto Brown and Bluiett are on a 17U Spiece team, but I'm not sure which one. I don't think it is the one in Indyball. Also, Aaron Brennan is also listed on a Fieldhouse Elite roster. Not sure what team he will be on. If its FH Elite his games will be at the Fieldhouse on Saturday.

3. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,299
    Gordon had 32 to kick off Indyball. I'm excited to get my first look at him tomorrow.

4. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,299
    This Eric Gordon team is just on another level compared to who they are playing so it's tough to evaluate anything. Everyone looks good. One thing that has stood out to me though is the athleticism of Sam Logwood from Lawrence North. He isn't highly ranked but I think he is worth keeping an eye on. He kind of reminded me of Khyle Marshall. Everything was either off a rebound or created by someone else, but he can finish hard at the rim.

5. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,299
    Jaylon Brown is on fire. Still early first half and he is 6-8 from 3. It's been catch and shoot, off the dribble with a hand in his face, even an NBA range 3.

I haven't been as impressed with Maverick Morgan. He does have a very sweet 15 foot jump shot. Everything else though I would expect from any decent 6'10" player. He hasn't been bad or anything, and has a decent point total, but with the size advantage he has in this game I was hoping for more. He doesn't clear out any space on the offensive glass when he gets position.

6. Three Specks

Three Specks New Member

Money:
    $5
    completely agree with you. I was watching the game and was very impressed with Jaylon Brown, and not so much with Mav

7. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,299
    Eron Gordon looked decent (great when you consider he's playing up), but no one else on the EG 15U team really stood out. I left with 10 minutes left due to an extended injury delay. Heading back to see Morgan and Brown again.

8. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,299
    Mav Morgan is interesting. He is a legit center with good size, an automatic mid range jump shot, and polished footwork. There aren't a lot of high school juniors you can say that about. But he just isn't aggressive at all. I've seen point guards that aren't even D1 finish over him a couple of times. He doesn't seem to have any awareness of where rebounds are going and can be easily boxed out. He seems to always turn over his right shoulder but uses his right hand.

I feel like if he got motivated he could be a very good player. But for whatever reason he isn't today. I don't know if he is lazy or tired or disinterested, but it has led to him being unimpressive so far. It might simply be because of lack of competition. I wish I could watch him tomorrow against the better teams.

9. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,299
    Jaylon Brown was pretty passive in the 2nd game. He had a 3-4 minute stretch where he had 8 points and several assists but other than that he didn't try and do much. He was 2-4 from 3. Cole Murray was impressive in both games. He's 6-7 and has a great stroke. I hadn't heard of him until today(or forgot if I did), but he played extremely well.

10. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,299
    I'm watching Michigan commit Mark Donnal now and comparing him to Morgan. I actually think they are very similar players. It makes me feel like I'm being too critical of Morgan. Neither of them are very aggressive defensively and I think that is just something I value a lot from a true center. They rebound well in their area but don't read missed shots well. I hope they match up tomorrow.

11. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,299
    Last game of the night featured KJ Walton and Bronson Kessinger. Walton is the real deal. He is 6'3" and is more muscular than I expected from a freshman. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with an NBA SG frame. He has the game to go with it to. He could get anywhere he wanted on the floor, drew a lot of contact at the rim, and knew how to finish. His shot was off today, but I got the impression that it was just an off night. His form looks good and he gets good lift to jump over people to get his shot off.

Walton's defense was actually pretty bad, but it's not due to lack of ability. He gambled all night and was frequently out of position. He just needs some discipline on that side of the floor. Fortunately he has the perfect coach for that.

Kessinger also played well along with his frontcourt teammate Aaron Thomas and even Gary Bonds. It's tough to really judge these guys because they had a significant size advantage, but they are worth keeping on eye on. Kessinger is the best right now and finished very well around the rim, but the other two are longer and more athletic so might have more upside.

12. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,299
    News and Notes from IndyBall 2012

News and Notes from IndyBall 2012

Several people were talking about Chandler White. I only saw his last half on Saturday and he didn't really do much, but apparently he was impressive earlier in the day.

13. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,299
    Looks like there is a good chance that the Martin Wolverines will play Indiana Elite South at 3:30 (both have to win 1 game and will be favorites). That would matchup Donnal against Morgan. I really wish I could watch that, but I have to work today. I'm sure those guys will be battling a lot more than they did yesterday. If anyone isn't doing anything some of these tournament games should be great to see. The winner of that will likely face the loaded Eric Gordon 2013 team.

14. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,299
    Two other guys that impressed me yesterday are Alex Etherington and Chris Nunn. I knew Nunn was shooting well in the 2nd game but didn't realize he had 21. His on the ball defense is what stuck out to me. He would need to grow more but at his age that can certainly happen.

15. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,299
    Just got home from work. I thought I'd share some of the tweets I'm reading through from IndyBall for those of you who weren't following along on twitter.

Despite the loss, those two combining for 41 against a very good Eric Gordon team that plays extremely good defense must have been a good performance.

This is one of the post players on KJ Walton's team that I said I liked yesterday.

I didn't really see anything at all out of Gillis when I watched his game on Saturday, and wouldn't have even picked him out as a D1 player, but apparently I was watching at the wrong time. Every other game he has drawn praise.