Injuries/Training

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Jan 2, 2021.

1. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,582
    This explains SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!

2. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,403
    The higher rate of injuries to these kids these days can easily be attributed to overspecialization to one sport at an earlier age, so no cross training on muscles to know how to react to different movements as well as not enough built in rest in a calendar year to let the body mend.

bwesson15, NCJon, Baute and 3 others like this.
  3. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,519
    Is there anything backing this up?

It’s a really interesting perspective. Had never really heard of it. So not challenging you in any way other than I’m curious to learn more and to look at what data you might have seen on this. Logically it makes sense, so I’m intrigued.

seadawg likes this.
  4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,609
    That all makes sense, but wouldn’t the strength and medical trainers understand this as well?

5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,681
    Of course, and it should be prevalent in other programs as well. I think we have basically just been the victims of some fluke stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Tentozen likes this.
  6. estar20dawg

Money:
    $5,403
    There's ton of scientific data. We had an entire semester in my masters in it...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/09/190923111609.htm

https://www.empiresportspt.com/single-post/The-Case-for-Sport-Diversification-Over-Specialization

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259455884_Overuse_Injuries_and_Burnout_in_Youth_Sports

And this was from awhile back from the ESPN actually not a bad article

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27125793/these-kids-ticking-bombs-threat-youth-basketball

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

troggy, bwesson15, Shimmy and 3 others like this.
  7. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,186
    I know that Coach Johnson doesn’t have the team do “specialized training” for all of the reasons @estar20dawg mentioned.

With that said, Butler has to get this figured out. Can’t be having this many injuries and extended timelines.

willisbrown likes this.
  8. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $14,519
  9. jkcdawgs

Money:
    $2,186
    Wtf is going on? Usually not one to call for jobs, but it’s time to do a deep-dive on the state of Butler’s training staff. Strength and conditioning, trainer, nutritionist, all of em.

Off the top of my head, lower leg injuries: Hastings, Coles, Harris, Scooby, Thompson, David, Donovan, Bryce bros (both w/ ankles in pre-season).

willisbrown likes this.
  10. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,688
    And if I remember correctly (I had turned the game off but thought I heard rumblings) Golden hurt an ankle again last night? Maybe I heard wrong but, your point remains. There is something going on where we can't even keep enough players to practice healthy. We are a Big East basketball team. That's kind of a big deal. Yet, we have a worse medical/training staff than most high schools. It's ridiculous and it needs a reset.

11. GoodDawgs

GoodDawgs Active Member

Money:
    $233
    Bryce got stepped on. Shame on Ralph and MJ for not having the clairvoyance to preemptively run on the court and thwart the collision before he got hurt. (Already regretting responding to such an insanely uninformed thread.)

CMG, dawgs2014 and godogs91 like this.
  12. jkcdawgs

Money:
    $2,186
    We’ve had 6+ lengthy knee injuries in the last two seasons. Sorry for bringing it up, you’re right. We should just blindly support the program and never question anything.

willisbrown and bmradio99 like this.
  13. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,688
    It's such a company yes man jellyfish attitude that too many have around here. This is a problem. A huge problem. This doesn't happen in bulk to other high major programs. Everyone has injuries. No one has them like we do. Questions need to be answered.

Or we just sit back and finish bottom couple in the league year in and year out.

jkcdawgs likes this.
  14. dawgs2014

Money:
    $5,681
    Remember when we saw AT go down at Nova and everyone thought for sure he tore his ACL? What would you like the trainer to do to ensure he lands more safely? Also, doesn’t the trainer get some brownie points for making sure what looked like a bad injury only cost him 3 weeks?

Also, what kind of intervention would you like to ensure we don’t bruise our knees?

Remember when Kamar turned his ankle against St. John’s last year and they got him ready to play 4 days later and he scored like 24 in the second half?

No one is saying to blindly support the program no matter what, but acting like these things are mysteries after seeing them occur is just stupidity. There wasn’t a single one of them where it was like, “huh, it didn’t even look bad.” On every single one of them we saw the impact to the player, it was clear what had happened right away, and the outcome was predictable.

I’m not even arguing in defense of the program or anyone in it. I have no idea if our nutrition program is good, bad great, or anything.

I’m saying that the conclusion many are drawing is a garbage conclusion given the data we have.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  15. dawgs2014

Money:
    $5,681
    The Yankees had 30 players on the disabled list in 2019. It absolutely does happen. Look at Tommy John surgeries. It’s called sports. What Estat said and proposed is very likely to blame for any increase in injuries we’ve seen at a macro level, but you can’t change a childhood once it’s over.

16. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $769
    I will say that Purdue back in the Robbie Hummel days seemed to have at least one important piece go down with an ACL tear, both on the football and basketball team. No idea if changes were made, but they've seemed to remain healthy recently.

With 3 ACL tears in 2 years, Hastings being out with a hip issue and then the other bumps and bruises along the way, assuming it is just bad luck, Butler should be covered for the next several years for any serious injuries. While it's premature to do an analysis, during the offseason as I'm sure they do, a deeper dive needs to be taken on all levels of the program to address any issues, whether it's development, training, medical treatment, recruiting, etc.

17. estar20dawg

Money:
    $5,403
    It very well should be something moving forward on the recruiting front, it wouldn't be hard to find out/ask recruits about their yearly routines/other sports they may cross train in. For example Pierce Thomas as a long jumper and other track/field events strikes me as someone I would feel confident in at least has a great chance of baseline health for 4 years, again injuries happen, stepping on ankles or people landing into you happen, but his cross training and time away from basketball should lend his body to being fresher than others that play bball year round only, with no time off

18. dawgs2014

Money:
    $5,681
    Wasn’t this like a John Wooden thing? Or maybe some football coach. I remember hearing some famous old time coach would only recruit multiple sport athletes.

estar20dawg likes this.
  19. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $14,519
    Joe Paterno...

20. dawgs2014

Money:
    $5,681
    Well if it was good enough for the second winningest college football coach of all time, maybe it should be more widely adopted.