Introducing Hinkle Heat Check Podcast

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,949
    Lukas Harkins and I have decided to partner together and start our own Butler basketball podcast, Hinkle Heat Check. After several delays, we have launched our opening episode. We touch on various aspects of the season up to this point as well as the upcoming Villanova game. We'd love to hear get everyone's feedback (yes, we apologize for the audio issues on our first attempt, we will get it fixed) and hopefully we can make this a regular thing moving forward.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  2. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,297
    We promise to improve as the podcast continues but hopefully you enjoy regardless! Jared and I are really excited about working on this together and, with the season already over halfway complete, now seemed like a better time to start than later.

Hosting was certainly a different experience for me compared to making guest appearances :)

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. nicklas_early

nicklas_early Member

Money:
    $186
    Can’t wait to listen! Do you guys have an idea how often these will be created and released?

Lukas Harkins likes this.
  4. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949
    When I initially approached Lukas about it I said every 1-2 weeks. That was back in November, and we honestly haven’t talked about frequency since. It will probably depend on a number of factors, including our schedules and how popular it becomes. In a perfect world we do a shorter one in between every game discussing the last game and previewing the next one, and occasionally a longer one where we get a special guest, but I’m not really sure how realistic that will be.

So in short, I have no idea yet!

the_speakers_lab and bwesson15 like this.
  5. bwesson15

bwesson15 Active Member

That was a great 1st episode guy's can't wait for more! Also are y'all eventually going to be on iTunes and Google podcast?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  6. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949
    Thanks! And absolutely, it just takes a little bit of time to get approved.

bwesson15 likes this.
  7. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,967
  8. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,165
    Good job guys, a lot of good info, keep up the good work.

9. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,706
    I think you need a guest host from time to time to raise a little Hell. Someone with a southern accent. :)

But that's fun and will be fun for y'all. I did a cubs one for a couple years that was hilarious and I loved doing it. Enjoy it and thanks for posting, fellas.

10. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,769
    Nice job, guys!

11. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,312
    Content was great. Audio, not so much, but I'm sure that will improve.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,697
    I'm liking it very much, but you have to figure out what is making that creaking sound! LOL! I had to pause and get that off my chest so I can go back and not be distracted by think what the heck that is... ;) (Made it to 17 mins so it wasn't that bad.) :p

Lukas Harkins and SpartanDawgs like this.
  13. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949
    Yeah, I wasn’t very happy when I discovered that after we were done. I did a brief test call before that and it wasn’t there. I don’t know if it was the phone connection or if I just don’t understand how to best use this new equipment yet. Hopefully a lot of these we can actually record in person and then the audio quality will be much higher.

14. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Member

Money:
    $148
    Great job with the podcast - hopefully you'll be added to Stitcher so I can listen on my drives!

Quick note about the audio - you can use a simple, free, audio editor like Audacity to change your L/R mono to stereo. Easy to do and quick. It has normalizing and other functions that will allow you to make sure there are not low spots, etc. Really good if you have a guest that doesn't keep a mic in a good spot.

15. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949
    Audacity is what was used here. I did normalize it but I’m sure I didn’t get the settings right on it. I’m not familiar yet with probably 95% of the functions.

16. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Member

Money:
    $148
    Click the carrot on the left side near the name of the track - this will bring a drop down to split (if recorded in stereo). Duplicate the track and use the carrot again to make one track L and one track R. Once you have that completed, select both and use the carrot again to create stereo track. Be careful to save before working on it - you can lose one side if not done right.

Sorry, don't want to lecture - just did this for many, many years in radio before moving on to a "real" career in healthcare management.

17. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,697
    Finished and really liked the content and conversation. Like anything else with practice it will get better, but it was pretty good, especially for a first try. Hope to hear many more!

18. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $72
    I don't know - seems like Barry should've opened up the search for podcast guys instead of limiting the pool to Butler guys. I know we're only one podcast in, but these aren't the right guys for the job and the program is going to fall into the garbage heap unless we fix this problem now. Kermit Davis already has some podcasters down at Ole Miss that are already rolling. Should have hired them. ;)

Great content - as others have said, audio needs some work, but I really enjoyed the basketball discussion, and can't wait to hear more.

19. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $199
    Good discussion. Enjoyed the first and look forward to more.

20. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,297
    Thanks for all of the kind words, everyone! Following up on what Jared said earlier, we are shooting for some regularity with the podcasts but trying to figure out our schedules as well.

bwesson15 and DCDawg like this.