It’s May in Indy!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Staxawax, May 19, 2019.

1. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,624
    IMG_0134.JPG

Ed Carpenter is once again representing Indy and Butler well. Just saw him and his team interviewed on NBC. All 3 of his cars are up front and if the weather allows they will go out this afternoon in a “fast 9” shootout for the pole!

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

#60, bumba and seadawg like this.
  2. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,620
    He’s got to win it this year, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. Staxawax

Money:
    $10,624
    Easy Ed qualifies 2nd fastest and his team goes 2,3 and 4 on the starting grid!

4. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $149
    he hasn't been racing in the indy series this year correct? They lost the fuzzy sponsorship and from my understanding they got a sponsor for May and that's it? Hopefully they have enough money to get his car to be one of the best.

5. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,295
    He hasn't run the full series in years as a driver. Awhile ago he started just doing the ovals and having another driver run the road and street courses. This season that driver is Ed Jones.

His team also fields another car with a fulltime driver for all races. That's been Spencer Pigot for a few years now.

For the 500, they field a third car driven by Jones.

His team knows how to setup an oval car and he always qualifies well. Would love to see him finally break through and win. He's only got so many shots left.

fdr, knobcreekfan and SpartanDawgs like this.
  6. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,691
    I think this is the year. Ed finally ditched the green car and is near the front again. Hopefully we miss the rain on Sunday. I'll be there cheering him on in turn 3.

Staxawax and NCJon like this.
  7. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,620
    Sixth place. Pagenaud was just a stud on the bricks today.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

8. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,915
    Anyone else in Central Indiana notice the entire race was streamed live on the NBC Sports App. Not sure if that was supposed to happen or not, but it was nice to watch it without a tape delay.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  9. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $139
    Wilbur Shaw and Shorty Cantlon would have given them a run for their money.

10. Staxawax

Money:
    $10,624
    I was more than a little pissed when I read that after the race. I doubt that will be the case next year. I also found out if you have a VPN you can find an out of town TV station and watch it. Sadly, I have a VPN. But not smart enough to investigate the possibilities.

11. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,691
    I'm a little bummed Ed didn't win but that was a heck of a race. The last ~15 laps were incredible. Pagenaud deserved the Indy sweep.

bumba likes this.
  12. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,536
    Not a Penske or Pagenaud fan, but the last 15 laps were worth being there. Maybe next year for Ed.

bumba likes this.
  13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,991
    Ever since the newer version of the Dallara aero kits came out, the race has been a blast. There's so much more passing and action now.

14. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,691
    Both the Grand Prix and the 500 were as exciting as I can remember.

Edit: The weather sucked at the Grand Prix though.

15. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,738
    Was really hoping that Pagenaud passed Rossi too early and that Rossi would be able to overtake him one last time. Rossi drove like a madman, he was fantastic.

16. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $419
    Yep. I spoofed my GPS on my google chrome browser to think I was living in Cincinnati and watched the Youtube TV stream live on my tv in full HD. Such a wonderful step up from the less than legal streams I was using in years past to try to watch the race live.

17. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,295
    It's hard for me to get excited about another Penske win, but the drama at the finish was great.

There were some bumps along the way, but NBC's coverage was a marked improvement, too. I want to get back up there for the race in the next couple of years. Last time I went was 2014. Hard to believe it's been that long.

BulldogsFTW likes this.
  18. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Active Member

Money:
    $474
    The 500 and IndyCar is seeing such an uptick right now. Along with NASCAR's issues (generational change in drivers, tracks struggling, etc.) - it has really come at the right time.

19. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,049
    The race was great, but this "uptick" doesn't appear to be broad-based. Only 36 cars fought for the 33 spots this year. That's a pretty weak uptick. There was a time when the end of qualifying was riveting, sometimes more exciting than the eventual race, with all the drama and bumping as the clock ran down.

I doubt it's going to get cheaper to field a car in the future, and it was 36 cars for 33 positions with the economy doing pretty well.

20. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Active Member

Money:
    $474
    I'm a huge IndyCar fan, but car count will never be over 40. Who in their right mind would be the 38th, 39th, and 40th to participate? If you consider the top 20-25 teams are essentially locks, that leaves 8-10 spots to battle for - small teams won't risk the investment without major sponsorship backing. Corporate America knows that sponsoring racecars has a limited ROI, and will not participate like they used to until the car gets in the race or you are guaranteed air time (Napa with Rossi). Also gone are the days of multiple beer and tobacco sponsorships - a major blow to the racing industry.