IU and the Crossroads Classic

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by godogs91, Jun 22, 2018.

1. nindiana

nindiana New Member

Money:
    $18
    [​IMG]

Saw this a year or so back somewhere on Twitter. This would NEVER happen, but how fun would it be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,503
    Keep in mind, any sort of tournament would not allow us to go to Maui, Bahamas, etc.

3. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $13,757
    They wouldn’t have to count it as an exempt tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $3,503
    why not?

5. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $13,757
    As far as I’m aware, you can only participate in 1 “exempt tournament”. In these cases you can play up to 4 games but it only counts as 1 game in terms of max games you can have on your schedule. This is why you frequently see games played at schools that are technically tournament games. If a team is only playing 3 games in a tournament, the tournament will basically organize a 4th game for them because it’s a free game.

I don’t know of any rule actually limiting the number of tournaments a team can play in. But only one of them can be exempt. The rest will count each individual game amongst the number of scheduled games allowed. Hopefully that makes sense. And maybe I’m wrong, but that’s always how I’ve interpreted things.

Edit: Looks like a tournament actually counts as 2 games, not 1.

Hinkle likes this.
  6. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $351
    Purdue and IU wouldn't want to play each other in the non conference schedule anyways.

7. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $3,503
    So if you wanna have this giant 10 team Indiana college tournament, it would count as our 1 NC tournament bc the final 4 will eventually be held at BLF. There's a rule that you can only travel to one tournament per season.

8. ButlerFan89

ButlerFan89 New Member

Money:
    $28
    B10 doesn’t allow them to play each other in non-conference. That’s why we never get to play ND.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

9. ButlerFan89

ButlerFan89 New Member

Money:
    $28
    Also, comical Butler doesn’t have a bye game yet IU does. Butler has had the best record in the last decade in the state. Must have been an IU fan and wishful thinking dreaming this tourney up.

FRENCH DAWG and DawgsMD like this.
  10. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,359
    Not just the last decade-this century. Butler is tied for fifteenth for NCAA tournament wins this century.

FRENCH DAWG and DawgsMD like this.
  11. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $13,757
    I’m not sure I understand what you are saying here. Do you think IU is getting the easier path? I don’t know that there is much of a difference between Evansville and Indiana State.

12. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,033
    I think the post was meant to mean one less game for the Losiers to get to the finals. Could also have something to do with their recent success with ISU

13. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,420
    We’re each starting in the same round, though... I guess the only advantage you could claim is that IU would play a team who’d just played 2 days before... hypothetically, of course.

14. Tucker Jordan (PSU Echo)

Tucker Jordan (PSU Echo) Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,923
    They wouldn't have to...as IU probably wouldn't get out of it's own half of the bracket! :D

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  15. pjohnsto2003

Money:
    $4,033
    I think the post was meant to mean one less game for the Losiers to get to the finals. Could also have something to do with their recent success with ISU

16. Crash

Crash Active Member

Money:
    $175
    I love this idea and think they should extend it to the DII programs (+4). Separate PU & IU, from the DI schools, 2 top BPI teams from prior year get 1st round bye.
    Purest that loved Indiana's all division state tournament would freak for this. Main problem, PU, IU, ND and BU don't want to allow too many IN teams on their stage. This gives the "rest" of the programs a chance to make a name for themselves within the state.

17. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,310
    But Butler and IU would play the same number of games? There's just a play-in game to decide IU's opponent. Only Valpo, IUPUI. Evansville, or IPFW would have to play an "extra" game.

UDDawg likes this.
  18. pjohnsto2003

Money:
    $4,033
    Yep - you are correct. Must have been a reference to the ISU struggles (for both teams, really).

19. ButlerFan89

ButlerFan89 New Member

Money:
    $28
    Sorry, read it wrong.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  20. ButlerFan89

ButlerFan89 New Member

Money:
    $28