Jackson Aldridge

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by rydwhite, Jan 20, 2013.

1. rydwhite

rydwhite New Member

Money:
    $5
    This may have already been asked/discussed in previous threads, but I haven't seen much.

What's the story with Jackson Aldridge? He seemed to be playing well in spurts last season, but I haven't seen much if at all this year. Has he been injured or just not performing in practice?

2. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,367
    I think the emergence of Alex Barlow has a lot to do with his lack of playing time. Having Clarke, Barlow, and Jones eating up minutes at the point doesn't leave much time leftover.

3. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,084
    I'd expect him to transfer after the season. No reason for him to be here as his playing time won't be getting any better. Next year Castro/Jones/Barlow/and hopefully Brown will be eating up minutes running the point.

Then you could give Barlow his scholarship.

4. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,289
    Dan Shulman referred to Barlow during the game as "Former Walk-on Alex Barlow" in the first half. Does he know something we don't?

5. I Am Butler

Money:
    $4,084
    I thought it was a pretty safe assumption that this spring he wod be on scholarship, even if it wasn't guaranteed for next year. Butler had the available scholarships from CHD and Hopkins just sitting there. No reason not to apply one to Barlow.

6. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    From what I understand, he's pretty happy here. Has a girlfriend here now. There's no question he's buried on the depth chart unless he really makes some strides in his overall game. He's a good teammate though. Plus he will be a JR next season. It might be wise that he stick around as Fr point guards can struggle at times. Guard depth is always good. But like you I think the lack of playing time could eventually eat at him, as all players like to play. Plus we still don't know how Morgan is going to fit in.

7. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,872
    I have no idea what type of person Aldridge is in this regard, but it's not always about playing time with some players. While he could certainly go to a Horizon League type team and be guaranteed a lot more playing time, that will never bring the same type of opportunities as staying at Butler. He is currently a part of a national championship contender. He might get to go to a final four in his career. For some guys that is more important than playing time somewhere else.

Plus, if he has any competitor in him at all I'm sure he believes that starting point guard spot can be his next year. It's not what I'd expect, but no one is perfect at predicting player development. I certainly didn't buy into Alex Barlow last year.

8. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $258
    I doubt he'd transfer. I'm fairly certain he'd get a pro deal in Australia, it he was looking.

9. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,612
    This thread is stupid.

10. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,472
    Totally agree! Why on earth would anyone criticize any of these kids including CHD and Hopkins? None of us in our prime could stay on the court with any of these players.

11. I Am Butler

Money:
    $4,084
    As was safely assumed:

Sophomore guard Alex Barlow, who enrolled at Butler without a basketball scholarship, is on scholarship for this semester. Butler had two open scholarships because of the departures of Chrishawn Hopkins and Chris Harrison-Docks. "We have to re-evaluate our scholarships at the end of each year," said Stevens, who did not guarantee Barlow would remain on scholarship. . . . Butler has scheduled a home game Dec. 28, 2013, against Belmont.

12. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,687
    Hope it's a home and away. I live down the street from Belmont. Would love to go in 2014 here in Nashville.

13. I Am Butler

Money:
    $4,084
    Your interpretation of these comments are what's stupid.

First, nobody here criticized CHD or Hopkins. They left Butler for various reasons and thus their scholarships are sitting their vacant.

Second, the fact that Aldridge nearly left Butler (be it to transfer or go pro is Australia) last summer is no secret. His playing time situation doesn't look to get any better in his remaining two years of eligibility so it is a pretty safe assumption that those same questions about his alternatives would arise after the season.

The inability for some people on this board to discuss the simple facts of life surrounding college basketball is astonishing to me. Kids transfer every year for various reasons, and several of those players are very good. Hell, we happen to have one of those players right now.

Take off your Butler pom poms and lighten up. If you can't handle discussing these "harsh" realities, go else where.

14. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,472
    Sorry I Am Butler but there have been posters who have thrown the following under the bus: CHD, Hopkins,Aldridge, Chase and Barlow and others as well for 1. Not being worthy of being at Butler or 2. Aren't good enough for the A-10 or 3. Taking up a scholarship or 4. You name it. I think that is stupid. My interpretation is spot on. Personally I find the use of the word stupid repugnant. This isn't the facts of life these are people.

15. I Am Butler

Money:
    $4,084
    And where, in this thread, were any of those sentiments displayed?