Jackson Davis - 2014 Forward (Eastern Kentucky)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by jlitton, Oct 16, 2011.

1. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,248
    So just curious w all this talk about McDermott/Neese and expectations... It appears that we all can agree that Tyler Wideman has surpassed expectations and will hopefully continue to improve upon the solid production he has shown thus far this season throughout his career. Sooo in regards to Jackson Davis, how has he performed based on your expectations and if you believe he's under-performed, how much longer does he have to "figure it out" before being labeled "he is what he is?"

2. Bulldawg

Bulldawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $644
    I still think he has a ton of potential. He has great size and strength and really he just needs to figure out how to move on the court and not look awkward. I think we should see him being a much bigger contributor by the end of this season. I think the biggest problem was how close his recruitment was between us and Alabama which really caused us to hype Davis as an NBA caliber player.

3. ButlerBoy

ButlerBoy Member

Money:
    $6
    Davis immediately came to my mind when I was reading the McDermott conversation. I think he will continue to get better but I dont know if that will correlate to PT. Wideman and Chrabascz have the starting positions locked down for next year and then you throw in a Soph. Fowler and a Freshman Brunk who is already more talented than him. All of the sudden there is not much room for Davis. I dont think he will be a high minute guy in the next two years.

4. SchlabbaDawg

SchlabbaDawg Active Member

Money:
    $3,159
    It seems to me that Davis is settling into the 4 for the team. In the limited minutes I've watched of him, he does not appear as comfortable in the post compared to Wideman, Chrabs, or even Fowler. Davis still has obvious athletic skills and will make a wow play almost every game. I get the sense he will swing a Big East game our way with momentum turning plays. He just has not been as consistent as Wideman and Chrabs, but will definitely see more time in conference play (especially in tightly reffed games). With Brunk joining the team next year, we are really putting a talented group of bigs together.

5. DawgsfoLife

DawgsfoLife Member

Money:
    $6
    Here is the real question moving forward, when there is foul trouble with the bigs, who gets minutes first--Davis or Fowler? I know they play different roles (Davis-4, Fowler-5), but I have been surprised that Davis isn't getting some of those minutes. Anyone have any thoughts on that? Is it just that the current small man rotation has no space for him?

6. TheWild5

TheWild5 New Member

Money:
    $5
    I think it is more of them both being poor of defense thus far. Holtmann wants a defensive presence and neither of them fit the bill for it. Etherington will get time ahead of them and kelan will continue to slide to the 4 when gathers comes in if fouls are an issue as well

7. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $645
    I think Holt has been sending Davis a message by sending in Fowler in ahead of him. That defense and defensive awareness are the most important thing. I think the tough love approach is meant to see if Davis responds. He clearly has potential with athleticism and a sweet stroke, but his defensive awareness needs to improve. Hoping it does.

8. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,899
    Any thoughts on Jackson Davis at this point? He hasn't gotten as many minutes in the non-con season as I would have thought so far. Which probably means very limited minutes going in to Big East play. This was a player I (and many others) was excited to sign at the time, and I feel like the team could use some rebounding help going forward. Is it just lack of defensive skills right now limiting his minutes, or what?

Also, looking beyond this year, we will still have Fowler, Wideman, and Chrabz. Seems like he might be an off-the-bench type of player for his last two seasons as well

9. TheWild5

TheWild5 New Member

Money:
    $5
    I think this is a 7 man team with spot minutes from Davis and AE. I also think that being a 7 man team isn't nearly as bad as people think. Majority of the great teams aren't these 8/9 man deep teams everybody wants. It just isn't realistic. He will play more when he learns the defense better and can control his body. He needs to figure out how to. Get out of the raw stage and utilize his talent

10. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,960
    Notable (at least, it surprised me):

JD's defensive rebounding rate for this season - 30% - is higher than Kam's last year, which ranked 11th nationally. (JD hasn't played the minimum 40% of minutes to qualify for Kenpom's rankings.)

He's clearly got the potential to be an elite rebounder. Unfortunately, there's not really any other aspect of his game that's ready.

11. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,352
    Joel Cornette ‏@joelcornette Feb 6
    Up 40 & Jackson Davis still hits the deck for a loose ball. That's what makes @ButlerMBB different & why I love watchin em play.

-----------

+1

Davis' bounce and attack dog mentality reminds me alot of Cornette.

I said this at the beginning of the season. If we were going to make a run Nationally Davis would need to play a role in that off the bench. Chris beginning to trust Jackson and it is starting to pay dividends. Wed night big as Davis will be needed to fight off Delgado on the glass and inside.....

zjbphotography ‏@zjbphotography Feb 3
    Butler Bulldogs forward Jackson Davis blocks a shot in the land vs Georgetown at Hinkle Fi… http://ift.tt/1KXCLMr

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  12. peeps112

Money:
    $645
    JD won't go up against Delgado much, but I am glad to see him get more minutes. Not that lost anymore and doing a good job on the glass. Hope Chris continues to trust him. Our best big off the bench by far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,039
    Time to move this thread into "former".

14. Grandpa Bulldog

Grandpa Bulldog Member

Money:
    $32
    Best of luck to Jackson, a great young man with great parents!

15. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,248
    If I were him, I would try and make amends w Rice. That's not a bad spot to get a degree from...
    Good luck to him

[​IMG]

16. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,736
    Well, I admit I am bummed that JD didn't end up making the impact I had hoped he would. Best of luck to him down the road.

17. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,352
    Visited Northern Kentucky(Nored) and Eastern Kentucky this week....

Would love to see him join up at Northern Kentucky and help that program rise up in D1.

18. peeps112

Money:
    $645
    Me too. Great kid. Also shows that his loss was a net positive for our program (other big time schools not showing interest confirms that).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Dewars12

Dewars12 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $985
    I would think Nored's interest shows the coaching staff liked his work ethic and commitment, they just didn't think his skill level would result in significant playing time in the Big East.

20. mizebl

mizebl Active Member

Money:
    $222
    Agree.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Butler Hoops mobile app